User Avatar Image

Schwarzenegger v. EMA

posted by Brainiac on - last edited - Viewed by 264 users

Well, today was Election Day here in the States. It was also the day that arguments in Schwarzenegger v. EMA were heard before the Supreme Court. The transcripts have now been posted online via Joystiq and Scribd (among others). Going over them, I think I can say the state of gaming in the States is going to be just fine. It looks like those who predicted the only reason the Supreme Court took this case was to basically spell it out for the states that they need to quit wasting money on this idiocy were probably right.

33 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Secret Fawful said: Oh, hey, that's how I felt when watching Citizen Kane.

    Well, you got your favorite gif out of it, so it wasn't a TOTAL waste of time for you.

  • @Alcoremortis said: Well, you got your favorite gif out of it, so it wasn't a TOTAL waste of time for you.

    Oh, I wouldn't call it a waste of time at all. It was time well spent, even if I had a hard time caring about anything in the story. Also, that's not my favorite GIF.

  • @Secret Fawful said: Oh, I wouldn't call it a waste of time at all. It was time well spent, even if I had a hard time caring about anything in the story. Also, that's not my favorite GIF.

    Well...most used? On this forum? That's black and white? (I'll keep on getting more and more specific until it's the only option that satisfies the conditions).

  • @tredlow said: OMG WAT.

    No, wait. I never watched Citizen Kane, so I don't know how to feel about that statement. Though I always hate it when I ask people what their favorite movies are, and they say 'Citizen Kane', and I ask why, and they'll give me some generic response like 'Because it's one of the best films ever'.


    Generally, people say that because the AFI called it America's greatest film a couple times over now. They parrot the organization's verdict without understanding the actual reasoning behind it. The film is excellent for a variety of reasons, many of which are technical, and many of which are just not understood by most people, it's a film historian thing. The cinematography was certainly innovative and inspired a great deal of films after it, with advancements in focus, shading, composition, special effects, etc. Welles had full creative control over the project, which was surprising at that time, and he had little to no executive meddling. It's also simply an incredibly well-told story of the life of a great man, with all the regrets, all the loneliness, all the passion that comes with it, a great man in death as viewed through those who knew him best. Roger Ebert has an excellent critical commentary track for the film, and watching it with that will provide you with a great deal of insight as to why major film buffs, rather than just "people who like to go to the movies", consider Citizen Kane to be one of America's greatest films.

  • @Alcoremortis said: Well...most used? On this forum? That's black and white? (I'll keep on getting more and more specific until it's the only option that satisfies the conditions).


    I guess.

    @Alcoremortis said: Generally, people say that because the AFI called it America's greatest film a couple times over now. They parrot the organization's verdict without understanding the actual reasoning behind it. The film is excellent for a variety of reasons, many of which are technical, and many of which are just not understood by most people, it's a film historian thing. The cinematography was certainly innovative and inspired a great deal of films after it, with advancements in focus, shading, composition, special effects, etc. Welles had full creative control over the project, which was surprising at that time, and he had little to no executive meddling. It's also simply an incredibly well-told story of the life of a great man, with all the regrets, all the loneliness, all the passion that comes with it, a great man in death as viewed through those who knew him best. Roger Ebert has an excellent critical commentary track for the film, and watching it with that will provide you with a great deal of insight as to why major film buffs, rather than just "people who like to go to the movies", consider Citizen Kane to be one of America's greatest films.

    Where can I find this track? I would definitely be interested in these aspects of the film, just so I can know what makes it great.

  • @Secret Fawful said: Where can I find this track? I would definitely be interested in these aspects of the film, just so I can know what makes it great.

    Stuff that, enjoy the film for what you take away from it, not what you're told to take away from it. I am very dedicated to my ignorance.

  • @JedExodus said: Stuff that, enjoy the film for what you take away from it, not what you're told to take away from it. I am very dedicated to my ignorance.

    But then I won't enjoy it at all!

  • @Secret Fawful said: Where can I find this track? I would definitely be interested in these aspects of the film, just so I can know what makes it great.


    I know it's on the two-disc special edition of the film, and the upcoming "Ultimate Collector's" edition on Blu-Ray. I'm not sure about any other DVDs, you'd have to check the special features to see if Ebert's commentary is listed.

  • @Ribs said: If you're in the US, steam has a fitting tribute on the front page of the store.

    epmN0.png

  • For some reason, the transcript only displays the first few pages for me on some webpages. I'm not sure why.

    The full thing is here though: http://www.scribd.com/doc/40744855/Schwarzenegger-v-EMA

    edit: Ahaha... hahaha... okay, I'm going to read though this thing and post my favorite funny quotes. They start out even at the beginning.

    [quote]
    MR. MORAZZINI: [...] So this morning, California asks this Court to adopt a rule of law that permits States to restrict minors' ability to purchase deviant, violent video games that the legislature has determined can be harmful to the development -

    JUSTICE SCALIA: What's a deviant -- a deviant, violent video game? As opposed to what? A normal violent video game?

    MR. MORAZZINI: Yes, Your Honor. Deviant would be departing from established norms.

    JUSTICE SCALIA: There are established norms of violence?

    MR. MORAZZINI: Well, I think if we look back -

    JUSTICE SCALIA: Some of the Grimm's fairy tales are quite grim, to tell you the truth.

    MR. MORAZZINI: Agreed, Your Honor. But the level of violence -

    JUSTICE SCALIA: Are they okay? Are you going to ban them, too?

    MR. MORAZZINI: Not at all, Your Honor.

    JUSTICE GINSBURG: What's the difference? I mean, if you are supposing a category of violent materials dangerous to children, then how do you cut it off at video games? What about films? What about comic books? Grimm's fairy tales? Why are video games special? Or does your principle extend to all deviant, violent material in whatever form?
    [/quote]


    :D This is so great. I love it.

Add Comment