User Avatar Image

Movies you have to watch at least once

posted by RetroVortex on - last edited - Viewed by 910 users

Okay so this is sort of similar to threads that have already existed, so if you want mods, you can shut it down.

However, I still think another movie thread isn't such a bad idea, when this one is less about straight reviews, and more about recommendations.

So has there ever been a movie that you have watched and enjoyed it so much that you have to make sure everyone you know has seen it?

I definately have.

So heres a few movies that I feel everyone has to give a go:

1. Kung Pow: Enter the Fist

KungPowEntertheFist20027756_f.jpg

I don't see how this movie got such bad reviews. It really is a great film.

Not only is it a parody of badly dubbed martial art movies, its also a bit of a self parody too.

Its weird, its wacky, and its just plain fun!

Watch it with some fun friends and you will have a great laugh.
(Booze is helpful here too!)

2. Shutter Island

Shutter+Island.jpg

This was a suprise film for me. I was expecting it to be bad.
It didn't look all too interesting at first, pretty generic actually.
But once the film starts gaining momentum, its actually pretty gripping and at parts very intelligent.

3. Austin Powers (All of them)

Who hasn't seen Austin Powers?

The first two are classics, and the third one, though a little underdone compared to the first two, actually does have enough fresh material to stand by itself.

The films definately should be watched together though, the films are just full of in-jokes.

4. Shrek

None of the sequels, just the first one really.
I've seen all of these films, and though the others are not the worst movies in the world, (just pretty unecessary really...) the original is just a lot better.

Original idea, good cast, great execution.

5. Kung Fu Panda 2

I like Kung Fu Panda, its a great film.
Though I am fairly biased because I love Jack Black in most of the stuff he does, (some people tend to hate him) you have to admit he's a good fit in this film, in fact all of the cast were.

Kung Fu Panda 2, doesn't suffer from Dreamworks usual curse of making a good movie, and then making terrible sequels, and you can easily see that the people behind this movie cared quite a bit about it, and put a lot of effort in, (its a shame the videogames never get the same treatment eh?).

It didn't go the cheap route, and just make it a souless forced comedy affair, in fact the movie didn't have many jokes in it at all and was actually suprisingly dark at points (acting more of a homage to the old kung fu movies rather than a straight parody the first one was).

Its not for everyone, I'll admit, but if you liked the first movie, you probably would enjoy this one as well.

6. The Shining

I'm not normally a horror fan, but this film is just a perfect example of how to do a horror film right.

Jack Nicholson was the PERFECT lead.
A fantastic actor that just slides into the role with no effort at all, (maybe he was playing himself! XD).

7. Scary Movie 2

The best of the series in my opinion, and if you have to watch one, just watch this one.

8. Drag me to Hell

I don't understand why people hate this movie.

People seem to expect too much from it, I guess, or they just misinterprit it.

As a horror film, its terrible, its not very scary at all, but in all honesty, this is Sam Raimi we are talking about here, its not supposed to be pure horror.

Its more funny and gross if anything, and thats sort of the point of it.
Its basically a more mainstream, modernised version of the Evil Dead films.

It does have some clever scenes, and it does shock you here and there, but its really a sort of film you just sit there, and enjoy.
The best horror films are the ones where you can sit there and mock the stupidity of the protagonist from the safety of the fourth wall.
This film has that, but it also adds some extra dark comedy to give it that extra spice.

Its not a film you can watch again and again, but its a good film to watch with friends (or family, as I did with my mom, the twisted woman was pretty much howling with laughter all the way through).

9. Rocky Horror Picture Show

Best Goddamn Musical of all time!!
Go see it! Now!
Tim Curry love here. <3

10. Reefer Madness (the musical)

Another excellent musical and my third favourite (second is Spamalot BTW, and the fact that this is not on DVD yet depresses me (because if it was, I'd have all 3 playing every friday or something. In a row! YEAH!!!)).

I think describing it would be spoiling it, so just hunt it down people!

I got more, but this should do for now! :D

150 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Thanks to this thread I now have

Plague Dogs
    Player, The
    Arsenic & Old Lace
    Court Jester, The
    Home for the Holidays

Here's my must see movies (not including ones already posted)

Accused, The
    American Psycho
    Bad Boy Bubby
    Charlottes Web
    Dangerous Liaisons
    Dead Poets Sciety (Extended Cut)
    District 9
    Entity, The
    Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas
    Green Mile
    Highlander
    Human Traffic
    Leaving Las Vegas
    Stoning of Soraya M
    To Kill a Mocking Bird
    Trainspotting
    World According to Garp
    Wrestler, The

Not Movies but well worth seeing

House of Cards
    Edge of Darkness

• @tredlow said: I regretted my decision in watching this movie. Not because it's bad, because it's really a beautiful film, but it's a total downer, and I wanted something happy.

I simply cannot understand this. It's not a sad movie. The word I'd prefer to use, personally, is "somber". It's not an inherently happy film, as its cast is made up of Vaudeville performers after their craft has fallen out of favor, men out of their time trying to maintain a quiet dignity doing what they love even as they play to emptier theaters and live in seedy apartments that time forgot. But through this very real, very grounded setting, we find true human sweetness. I simply can't see this film as at all depressing. It has a quiet, somber ambiance in a dilapidated, dirty setting, but that's only the backdrop for a truly sweet story of human kindness, love, and a group of performers maintaining a quiet dignity well after their art has been forgotten. It's beautiful, and I felt a realm, warm sort of happiness after watching it, as the whole product was simply touching in a very genuine way.

• @Rather Dashing said: I simply cannot understand this. It's not a sad movie. The word I'd prefer to use, personally, is "somber". It's not an inherently happy film, as its cast is made up of Vaudeville performers after their craft has fallen out of favor, men out of their time trying to maintain a quiet dignity doing what they love even as they play to emptier theaters and live in seedy apartments that time forgot. But through this very real, very grounded setting, we find true human sweetness. I simply can't see this film as at all depressing. It has a quiet, somber ambiance in a dilapidated, dirty setting, but that's only the backdrop for a truly sweet story of human kindness, love, and a group of performers maintaining a quiet dignity well after their art has been forgotten. It's beautiful, and I felt a realm, warm sort of happiness after watching it, as the whole product was simply touching in a very genuine way.

I dunno. In the end it felt like the magician wanted to take care of the girl, but couldn't afford it anymore, while the girl herself had nothing but good intentions, but expected too much from him. When the magician left, it seems that the magician felt that he had let her down, and was a bit guilty (Well, that's the way I see it anyway.) Also, it kinda seems sad to me that the two's friendship ended quite abruptly.

I agree with everything you said, and yes, that's the beauty of the film, but in the end, I kinda felt sad on how things turned out.

• @Secret Fawful said: Watch the dub.

Will do squire.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

I'm not too much into 50's movies, but here I am suggesting as a second 50s movie:

the+hallelujah+trail.jpg

It is a movie that's obviously too long for the content, but it has some hilarious scenes. I watched it with a friend and, well, it was one of only two movies where I had trouble keeping her breathing because she had to laugh so much.

• @Vainamoinen said: I'm not too much into 50's movies, but here I am suggesting as a second 50s movie:

1965, duder. Might have to see this, though. I loved Blazing Saddles and Way Out West (two more for this thread). :D

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Ouch, sure! 65! Well, there's a five in it.

• Haha, close enough then. :p

• Watched Plague Dogs last night.

Absolutely fantastic movie but dear god was it brutal.

Add Comment