User Avatar Image

About the end...

posted by Scarlet Spider on - last edited - Viewed by 621 users

You're complaining about the 3 Martys, but if the space time continuum is tearing apart like Doc said, it's "logical" that all the timelines are crushing together no? So all the timelines are joined together in one, which is why the continuum is tearing apart. This is not totally illogical for me, but it's really a disaster. What's your point of view?

95 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • But that would create a massive paradox.

• But that would create a massive paradox.

Why? As long as you leave past as it is when you created a totally different self, there shouldn't be any problem. He would just get erased if you travel to that interval.

Anyway, that post was just an addition. What do you guys think of my #17 post here;
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=521916&postcount=17

Things I mentioned in that illogical?

• @WareKurt said: Why? As long as you leave past as it is when you created a totally different self, there shouldn't be any problem. He would just get erased if you travel to that interval.

Anyway, that post was just an addition. What do you guys think of my #17 post here;
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=521916&postcount=17

Things I mentioned in that illogical?

Okay, say for instance, in BTTF2, for some reason, Doc doesn't decide to take 'our' Marty (whether he's the TP or LP version at this point is your guess), but instead for some reason decides to take the Marty of 1985-A, back to 1955 to fix things. Marty-A hates his life and wants to be the one to snuff out Evil Biff's existence (and his own sad life)...so he and Doc go back to November 12th...and...

Are you suggesting that TP Marty would just vanish the instant Marty-A arrives in 1955?

I really don't see why that would happen...

The 2 Doc's would actually come from different points in the space-time continuum (not only time wise, but as in, from different timelines)...no reason why they can't both co-exist briefly...until LP Doc has to leave of course.

• Plus if LP doc did disappear completely from the scene then he would never be to get arrested, so Marty would never come back to 1931 and so he wouldn't create the FCB timeline thus creating a paradox.

• Are you suggesting that TP Marty would just vanish the instant Marty-A arrives in 1955?

Such thing never happened, so can we know for sure? I still think it might be. Don't forget there's another idea that time travelers don't get affected. In such case it would be Marty-A who is the time traveler. So it is possible in a way.

Plus if LP doc did disappear completely from the scene then he would never be to get arrested, so Marty would never come back to 1931 and so he wouldn't create the FCB timeline thus creating a paradox. Paradoxes don't always work like what we think. Since FCB is created who never built a time machine, both Marty's reason and ticket for coming back exist no more, yet there's no paradox.

• I get confused, but I like reading this!

• @WareKurt said: Such thing never happened, so can we know for sure? I still think it might be. Don't forget there's another idea that time travelers don't get affected. In such case it would be Marty-A who is the time traveler. So it is possible in a way.

Yeah, but I still don't get why that would happen. Marty-A and TP Marty (or more to the point, in this case) LP Doc and FCB Doc are seperate entities, who have arrived from different timelines at different points in time. LP Doc is now an alternate version of Doc from a now erased future...FCB Doc IS the Doc of what is the 'current' future...if you want to nitpick, you can argue that their chronological ages differ as well, so they're not technically from the same time period (FCB Doc would be around 70; while LP Doc would be closer to 80, though he looks much younger because of the rejunevation treatment).

Remember, LP Doc is very much a part of the past of the FCB timeline (much like LP Old Biff is a part of the 1985-A timeline). That's why he appears in that picture which FCB Doc still has with him in 1986. A lot of people feel its a major goof-why hasn't LP Doc disappeared from the photo, since he no longer exists? But the truth is, that when people prevent their existence, they are erased from any pictures they have brought from the future timeline they originate from, because it has been replaced by a new timeline. However, since their existence in the past, as time traveller's from a future erased timeline, is preserved, any pictures taken in the PAST of them, would continue to retain them...as the picture was taken during the time they existed in the past as 'echoes' of an erased timeline. Case in point, suppose TP Marty had faded from existence in BTTF1? He would have faded from the photo of his family undoubtedly...however, if, say, Doc, had taken a picture of him in 1955, he wouldn't have faded from that picture...because his existence in 1985 has been erased...his brief history in 1955 hasn't been because its a part of the new timeline he's created.

• @WareKurt said:
    Paradoxes don't always work like what we think. Since FCB is created who never built a time machine, both Marty's reason and ticket for coming back exist no more, yet there's no paradox.

You realize that's probably just the writers getting it wrong. The writers don't really take into account the paradoxes that are caused when their writing the plot lines because then nothing would be able to happen. The story line wouldn't be as interesting if they took into account all the paradoxes that are caused simply because a paradox is caused whenever you go back in time to prevent something from happening (and succeed)

Although if you take into account the echo theory a lot paradoxes are resolved such as the example you gave above.

• I still say that the reason that the DeLorean didn't completely vanish was because it was a temporal duplicate and no longer subject to the same rules as the original.

• @Shadowknight1 said: I still say that the reason that the DeLorean didn't completely vanish was because it was a temporal duplicate and no longer subject to the same rules as the original.

But the Deloreon that did vanish was a temporal duplicate too and that one vanished.

Add Comment