User Avatar Image

Coin Box Puzzle

posted by Pirateguybrush on - last edited - Viewed by 4.2K users

Hey guys,

Loving PA2 so far, but I have to complain about the coin box puzzle. Without values on the coins, this puzzle is completely incomprehensable to those outside of the states, who don't immediately know the value of the coins. It forces the player to alt tab out, go and find the values, and keep refering back to them - and on top of that, it's a guessing game as to which one to pick, as the images mean little. In some situations this wouldn't be too bad, as it would just be another element to the puzzle. But in PA, I understood that the game gives you all the required information for a puzzle, and it's up to you to work it out from there.

54 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Graywing said: I too am currently alt+tabbed out of the game to complain about this lousy design choice.. The puzzle wouldn't be as horrible as it is now for non US players, if they'd just taken some time to create one of those "rules" pages showing the coin value.

Bad internationalization is bad.

Actually it was an obvious. Gold is more valuable in history than silver.

• Huh, when I solved the puzzle, I thought lots of people would have trouble with it because it required knowledge of binary, not because of coin values.

• @Clord said: Actually it was an obvious. Gold is more valuable in history than silver.

- The puzzle was about completing a sequence that required your knowledge of the exact coin value.. guessing which one is worth more doesn't really work in this case.

- For all it took the largest coin could've had a value of 200 cents (e.g. the 2 euro coin), making the solution quite illogical.

- Coin color and size does not always define its value, the 2 euro coin for example has a silver colored outline with a gold colored center, whereas the 50 cent coin is completely colored gold.

- A puzzle should be solvable with the given information (the rules page) and common knowledge (e.g. reading a clock, calculating stuff). Not by Wikipedia and regional assumptions (e.g. monetary value, measurement systems).

• @Graywing said: - The puzzle was about completing a sequence that required your knowledge of the exact coin value.. guessing which one is worth more doesn't really work in this case.

- For all it took the largest coin could've had a value of 200 cents (e.g. the 2 euro coin), making the solution quite illogical.

- Coin color and size does not always define its value, the 2 euro coin for example has a silver colored outline with a gold colored center, whereas the 50 cent coin is completely colored gold.

- A puzzle should be solvable with the given information (the rules page) and common knowledge (e.g. reading a clock, calculating stuff). Not by Wikipedia and regional assumptions (e.g. monetary value, measurement systems).

Well, it was made from more valuable material than the other coins in the puzzle. Not to mention it was the largest coin. It is rather clear how puzzle designer would not think that telling coins values is important as it is hinted.

Also all coins has "liberty" written on them, so they are all from same country and era.

• @Chris1 said: I think my biggest complaint of the puzzles in the game would be that your 1s look like too much 7s. It took me ages to work out how you could make the clock-face connection from 71, 72, 7, 2...

I was recognizing the 1s and STILL don't know how you could make the connection. Perhaps I am just too stupid for those number sequence puzzles (and I really don't like those for that reason). And not knowing how much the coins are worth does not help either in this case.

• Let me photoshop the problem for you in a different setting (same logic as the original puzzle, different result)..

I will provide you with the basic information that these are euro coins and the small one probably is worth 0.01 and the bigger one 0.10, but if you don't know the exact value of the coins you can only solve this one by accessing wikipedia or trying a lot of different combinations.

problem.jpg

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

@Clord said: Well, it was made from more valuable material than the other coins in the puzzle.

Fun fact: the Sacagawea dollar, while gold-coloured, does not actually contain any gold.

@Clord said: Not to mention it was the largest coin. It is rather clear how puzzle designer would not think that telling coins values is important as it is hinted.

I don't think it should be expected that anyone in the world will recognise a big yellow coin as being one dollar.

UK coins

Ds7lPl.jpg

Euro coins

mIRKzl.jpg

Argentinian coins

5Betxl.jpg

Australian coins

eIX3Hl.jpg

New Zealand coins

LqoIKl.jpg

Given that logically figuring out the coin values isn't part of the puzzle, it's not unreasonable to ask that the values be provided.

• It's not only about this one!

I generally would have recommended buying some riddle books and IQ-Tests (and reading them of course), inventing some puzzles for a rpg for your friends, getting some understanding of logic & proper definitions, playing around with different ideas and finding out what's fun, asking others what they think about it, outsource the puzzle design and so on.

All such things which actually help coming up with a least average riddle design. The majority of the riddles of Puzzle Agenr 2 are so bad that you won't have a chance with it in a production without some already eatablished Grickle fanbase, actually they are already bad if you compare them with some free flash games. The riddles in PA2 feel like they were implemented by a complete newbie to video games without some sort of help from a experienced developer/designer and they also were technically very poorly implemented without any polishment. None of the better game portals would publish a game like this if you focus on the riddles.

Worst game design for mini games i've seen since a pretty long time.

• @taumel said: It's not only about this one!

I generally would have recommended buying some riddle books and IQ-Tests (and reading them of course), inventing some puzzles for a rpg for your friends, getting some understanding of logic & proper definitions, playing around with different ideas and finding out what's fun, asking others what they think about it, outsource the puzzle design and so on.

All such things which actually help coming up with a least average riddle design. The majority of the riddles of Puzzle Agenr 2 are so bad that you won't have a chance with it in a production without some already eatablished Grickle fanbase, actually they are already bad if you compare them with some free flash games. The riddles in PA2 feel like they were implemented by a complete newbie to video games without some sort of help from a experienced developer/designer and they also were technically very poorly implemented without any polishment. None of the better game portals would publish a game like this if you focus on the riddles.

Worst game design for mini games i've seen since a pretty long time.

Even if those puzzles are too easy for you, it is still puzzle game. Also just because you have easy time with the most puzzles, that does not make game bad.

• I have this crazy idea on how this puzzle would have been much easier to solve:

Write out the coin values on the actual coins!

Add Comment