User Avatar Image

Coin Box Puzzle

posted by Pirateguybrush on - last edited - Viewed by 3.7K users

Hey guys,

Loving PA2 so far, but I have to complain about the coin box puzzle. Without values on the coins, this puzzle is completely incomprehensable to those outside of the states, who don't immediately know the value of the coins. It forces the player to alt tab out, go and find the values, and keep refering back to them - and on top of that, it's a guessing game as to which one to pick, as the images mean little. In some situations this wouldn't be too bad, as it would just be another element to the puzzle. But in PA, I understood that the game gives you all the required information for a puzzle, and it's up to you to work it out from there.

54 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Clord said: Even if those puzzles are too easy for you, it is still puzzle game. Also just because you have easy time with the most puzzles, that does not make game bad.

Don't mix up that easy doesn't have to be automatically bad, uninspired and repetitive. You can have easy and entertaining puzzles. The big majority of the puzzles is PA2 sadly is the opposite. Actually they are a lot worse than the ones from PA and those already got some valid critics.

Honest question: Why are TT productions continuing getting worse?

• Whoa. It's good I looked up into the forum before melting my brains out :-P
    In comparison to all other puzzles in the games, I NEVER would have assumed such tricky questions.

I do appreciate more difficult puzzles, but I would want to know that you have to think more and maybe look up something in Wikipedia or somewhere else. Up to now every PA-puzzle I played wasn't THAT kind of hard.

BUT another big minus I am just experiencing:
    I quit both extra-puzzles (the one with the digits and with the coins) to solve them later. Then talked to the person... and now after being back outside it seems I CANNOT GO BACK AND SOLVE THEM! The puzzles appear in my puzzle-list but if I click them only a message appears.
    So because the game autosaved the only options for me are: Restart from the beginning or finish the game to the end. What a shame!

Edit: Well, luckily Nelson went back to the house and I could solve the puzzles. Nevertheless it would be better if the possibility of solving puzzles later on in the game would be implemented, i.e. Nelson could go back to the places.

• I got stuck aswell on this puzzle,
    I'm from the netherlands where we use Euros.

Though if the game would just include coins with numbers on them it would be much easier to solve.

First i thought the puzzle was going for the fibbonaci sequence, but then i found out something more... digital, anyways be sure to localize those puzzles.

The fact that we can actually speak/read english doesnt necessarily mean we know how to recognise foreign currencies.

Also this really broke the "flow" of the game since i had to get out to find info on US coinage, then start a account here to type this post... ;)

• Whenever I encounter something about another country that I didn't know, I think "Huh. It would be interesting to learn more about that country."

Maybe that's an American-centric attitude too, though.

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

@Chuck said: Whenever I encounter something about another country that I didn't know, I think "Huh. It would be interesting to learn more about that country."

Ouch. :p

It's not a complaint about being forced to learn something about another country, it's about a logic puzzle that relies on "common" knowledge that isn't really that common. Would you have done the same puzzle with Myanmar kyats without providing values for the coins?

• Here's another American viewpoint -- all of you non-Americans are absolutely justified in your objections. As soon as I saw the coins, my very first thought was that I couldn't believe Telltale would include a puzzle like that knowing how international its following is. And then to compound the issue with a condescending forum post... I just don't understand Telltale any more.

• @Chuck said: Maybe that's an American-centric attitude too, though.

Thanks man. I haven't laughed this hard in ages. :D

@Chuck said: Whenever I encounter something about another country that I didn't know, I think "Huh. It would be interesting to learn more about that country."

Seriously though, if we're talking about directed learning experiences, players would get more out of it by having the numbers attached to the nicknames. For anyone who cares about currency, that would be enough to pique interest in finding out more (being an amateur numismatist, I went off and looked up which specific coins were showed), and for anyone who doesn't, they've still been exposed to new information, just in a more subtle, less jarring fashion.

• I think the problem at first is not having to look up some information elsewere but more the fact, that (at least) I did not expect that the values of the coins are needed for this puzzle.
    I did not think about a specific currency at first, either. The comic characters on the coins let me think of maybe some invented coins just for the game. The term 'dime' and 'penny' did not ring a bell, too. I think the term 'penny' for example is used also in GB, so I assumed it is just a common name for a small valued coin. But you live and learn...

My suggestion would be, to include the term 'US coins' somewhere in the description of the puzzle. I think this would give the vital information, that the coin values might perhaps be important for this puzzle.

You might of course argue about the need for external information for the puzzles in the game in general. I personally would not have something against that as long as it is clear what you have to look up, but maybe it is worth a voting.

Just my 2ct ;-)

• @Chuck said: Whenever I encounter something about another country that I didn't know, I think "Huh. It would be interesting to learn more about that country."

I don't think that's a great post for handling user feedback.. diminishing people who don't like to alt+tab out of a game to look up some trivial information as narrow minded foreigners isn't quite a nice thing to say..

But I do think you at telltale games should be glad people do voice their complaints instead of quitting the game, never to buy a telltale product ever again.. it means they actually care about your games.

But maybe that's my Non-American-centric attitude speaking.. (just kidding)

• @Chuck said: Whenever I encounter something about another country that I didn't know, I think "Huh. It would be interesting to learn more about that country."

True that we "non-americans" like to learn stuff "about your country" or any other country/subject when the situation is fitting.
    Though if you recognise this as is, then provide the learning material in your own game.

Instead of relying on people's internet connection to solve the problem.
    I can imagine other people being without a active internet connection that got permanently stuck in the game. (or just having to do the guessing game)

Add Comment