User Avatar Image

Puzzle agent 2 PC (steam) not working

posted by welshwuff on - last edited - Viewed by 1.8K users

Hihi, ok so ive tried so many tricks to try getting this to work, reinstall, updating graphics/sound drivers, registry yada yada... and just... nothing works.

Ok so what happens is the game loads up, i get the first two screens (Telltale and Graham Hannable credits) and... crashes, it says "grickle102.exe" is not responding and just closes. Now i've also tryed Puzzle agent 1 and the same thing happens even though i could play it fine before back when 1 was released, i get "grickle101.exe" is not responding.

Is anyone else having problems with the PC version? im running it on Steam on windows 7 64bit with a GTX 480 Nvidia card.

48 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @ Affrayer, your sound driver is almost 3 years old, Realtek do almost monthly driver releases.

And check Event Viewer for the crash log.

EDIT: Caralad, your sound driver is also pretty old. The above suggestions apply to you also.

• @Kleetus said: @ Affrayer, your sound driver is almost 3 years old, Realtek do almost monthly driver releases.

And check Event Viewer for the crash log.

EDIT: Caralad, your sound driver is also pretty old. The above suggestions apply to you also.

I hit the update drivers option on my sound driver option just this morning, so I don't know if that just hasn't updated yet or not. Either way that didn't solve the issue.

• I have managed to get it working and played though the game 100% XP I did the windows xp combatibility thing, yes it is possible though steam, you have to find hiden in your steam folders "grickle102.exe", and set the combatibility to windows XP, maybe higher, didnt bother finding out when this works perfectly fine.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@Kleetus said: @ Affrayer, your sound driver is almost 3 years old, Realtek do almost monthly driver releases.

Some old Realtek drivers have definitely caused problems with TTGs games in the past.
    @Caralad, affrayer and boneykingofnowhere
    Please try installing the latest Realtek HDA Driver.

• @DjNDB said: Some old Realtek drivers have definitely caused problems with TTGs games in the past.
    @Caralad, affrayer and boneykingofnowhere
    Please try installing the latest Realtek HDA Driver.

Thanks for the link!

I had actually tried updating the sound driver before posting and it said I had the latest version. :/ Will try this. Thanks again!

• Okay, so the audio fix did nothing but running it with Windows XP (service pack 3) compatibility mode did the trick. Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions! Gonna go play this great game now. :)

• The audio fix did nothing for me either. Also I've tried running it in compatability mode (xp sp3) and I've tried running it as admin from the Steam folder but I've still have 0 success.

• Caralad, try verifying the files via Steam.

And try other compatibility modes.

• Verifying the files was one of the first things I did, just incase.

So apparently the only compatability mode that works is windows 2003. Not one of the vista or xp compatability options worked.

So I've got it working I guess, but it's kind of a hokey work around.

• When compatiblity mode works, when a game otherwise shouldn't need it, it normally means you don't have all the correct redistributables installed, ie Visual C++ and DX.

Another thing also is to never install your games to Program Files or Program Files (86).

Use another path, like C:\Games.

Add Comment