User Avatar Image

E3 - Brief new King's Quest info

posted by Blind Sniper on - last edited - Viewed by 1.2K users

"Grossman said Telltale actually approached Roberta Williams, one of the designers of the original games, to see if she was interested in working on the new one. While she declined by saying she had retired from games, she did offer the development team advice, some of which was "very valuable," according to Grossman. "

http://pc.ign.com/articles/117/1174593p1.html

67 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Regarding the lack of info at E3 I feel that the schedule for this game was pushed back a bit due to the delay of Jurassic Park.

• I think there are some good points in this thread. We know Telltale's focus is story, so we are all interested in how they will handle the gameplay for a King's Quest game.

• Maybe it just means that the game will not reference back too much to the originals, so it will be a good jumping on point. I'm glad they approached Williams, as I believe it shows that they have a genuine interest in trying to keep it in the same vein as the older games.

• @Beacon80 said: I'm of the exact opposite point of view. Everything I've seen gives me reason to believe that Tell Tale will produce a worthy game in the King's Quest series.

There's two key elements that give me this belief:
    1) Tales of Monkey Island. This game fit right into the style of the earlier Monkey Island games, and might just beat out Curse for my favorite Monkey Island game (haven't played it in years, so it's hard to be sure). This says something important about Tell Tale Games. They didn't just crank out another Sam & Max game and call it Monkey Island. They tailored the game to fit the existing series. I see no reason they won't continue to do the same here.
    2) I don't put the King's Quest games on a pedestal. I've been playing through them again recently (made it through the first five so far), and while most of them are enjoyable, they're not these perfectly executed gems some people seem to think they are. King's Quest V, in particular, was not a lot of fun for me, despite fond childhood memories of the game. I think a lot of people here have painted over the flaws, creating ideal games in their mind that nothing TTG (or Roberta Willaims, for that matter) could compete with.

::Raises his shield and prepares to be attacked::

I just want to say that the term "flaw" is very subjective, especially when it comes to gaming. I love King's Quest V for the very same reasons that other people seem to dislike it...

• @Daventry said: I just want to say that the term "flaw" is very subjective, especially when it comes to gaming. I love King's Quest V for the very same reasons that other people seem to dislike it...

I just have to say how much I appreciate your signature.

• @wilco64256 said: I just have to say how much I appreciate your signature.

Thanks! I just didn't want to be associated with someone else. Unfortunately the Daventry name was already taken on those other forums... but I'm only active on this one and the Sierra Help Forums anyway, so it wasn't too big of a loss.

• King's Quest 8: Mask of Eternity, follows one of the inhabitants of Daventry as he fights to save the world, and King Graham and his family, after most of the humans have been turned to stone.

It was very Doom-esque, with few true puzzles, and hence is not considered by fans to be a true sequel. It IS official canon, though.

• It was a hybrid of a whole bunch of different things. It should've been a massive hit, KQ name or not. It was innovative.

• It was very Doom-esque, with few true puzzles, and hence is not considered by fans to be a true sequel. It IS official canon, though

It's actually has just as many true puzzles as many of the early KQ... they just get overshadowed by the amount of new action content, like the rpg combat, jumping, the Torin's Passage style tile puzzles, and box pushing... The game is absolutely huge and takes several hours/days to complete...

Add Comment