User Avatar Image

How important do you think a narrator is?

posted by caeska on - last edited - Viewed by 550 users

There are a couple of things I'd really like to see carried over from the previous King's Quest point & click games. Firstly, a narrator like there's been in KQ5, KQ6 and the fan-project The Silver Lining. A narrator just adds that much more feeling to the game, and I for one would be very disappointed if the Telltale game doesn't have a narrator.

Secondly, something I think is equally important is additional ways to interact with objects in the game world. The Sierra model has always had changeable icons for looking, touching and talking, while the Telltale adventure games do not have this feature. In the Telltale games you click on something, and the character will do whatever he's scripted to do, whether it's talking or picking something up or commenting on it.

Adventure games need to have the ability to just examine something, and in the King's Quest franchise this is especially important.
There should be the traditional "hand, eye, talk" icons and a narrator with a wide array of voice-acted lines to make the game world feel a bit more three-dimensional, or it just won't do justice to the King's Quest genre at all.

So I'm curious, what are other people's views on this? How do you feel about the TT games so far only having a mouse-pointer that doesn't change into for example an examine-icon?
And is a narrator something you guys will be expecting?

49 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I don't think it would quite be a KQ game without one.

• KQ7 didn't have one...did it? Actually, it's quite scary that KQ7 has most of the same game design aspects that meld well with Telltale's own current business model. Episodic/Chapter approach, retry deaths, single-action mouse interface, lack of narrator, exaggerated cartoon characters...it's a match made in hades. I hope they don't reference KQ7 for their KQ relaunch.

And I agree with the hope that KQ will be better. If BTTF was meant to cater to non-gamers because of what it represents, then it should likewise be the opposite for KQ; this game series is meant for adventure gamers more than any other as it was the one that launched the genre, for all intents and purposes.

• That, in my opinion is the biggest problem. They can follow KQ7 to a tee and say, "we were true to the series." I hope not, but I can see them doing exactly that.

• Although I agree that King's Quest VII was the low point in the series, I still think it has more gameplay than say, Back to the Future.

Regarding the topic: although I would love to see a narrator, I would be very surprised if Telltale was even considering it. Same goes for the icon interface.

For me, gameplay, story, and overall charm come first. A narrator and icons would be icing on the cake, but I'm definitely not holding my breath.

• @Daventry said: Although I agree that King's Quest VII was the low point in the series, I still think it has more gameplay than say, Back to the Future.

Regarding the topic: although I would love to see a narrator, I would be very surprised if Telltale was even considering it. Same goes for the icon interface.

For me, gameplay, story, and overall charm come first. A narrator and icons would be icing on the cake, but I'm definitely not holding my breath.

Telltale isn't exactly known for "icing." A narrator would require extra work and time for coding in the narrations and actually writing them, so I'm hanging out on the side of "doubtful" for this one. I still think it's possible it may happen, but I won't hold my breath.

• @Daventry said: For me, gameplay, story, and overall charm come first. A narrator and icons would be icing on the cake, but I'm definitely not holding my breath.

As Telltale uses a variety of literary and cinematic devices in their games' narratives, I could easily see them using a narrator for the exposition of the story. But that's a separate question from having a narrator describe each interaction with the game-world. While a narrator and icons, strictly speaking, might be just icing, I think that having multiple modes of interaction and feedback with every combination -- for the sake of both atmosphere and more complex puzzle-solving -- is fairly important to the King's Quest style of gameplay.

• I think they need a narrator.

And since somebody already made a reference to it, I also think Telltale needs to dream bigger with these sort of franchises, at this point. If a narrator is icing, the ice away.

• @thom-22 said: As Telltale uses a variety of literary and cinematic devices in their games' narratives, I could easily see them using a narrator for the exposition of the story.

Actually, the narrators in King's Quest games rarely provide a lot of introductory exposition. The intros to the games are usually very cinematic and and primarily driven by character dialogue. In King's Quest V and VI you don't hear the narrator at all until the actual gameplay has started and you have a chance to look around and interact with the environment.

• Yes, but in the KQ6 intro the cinematic ends with the ship sinking underwater and the game title comes up. Once gameplay starts you wake up on a beach during the day with no idea how you got there or what's going on. That's different from say a cinematic which would show the transition of Alex washing up on shore and ending on a camera angle where the plank is to make the person look there as a point of interest. And even in KQ5, the introduction cinematic is fairly explanatory of what you must accomplish by the end of the game, but it doesn't tell you how to get there at all. You're basically on your own to figure out how to get past the snake, which is half the game right there!

• Even Roberta in the end thought narrators were pointless and took from the player's ability to become the character. That was one of her reasons for removing them in her later games. I can't remember any games by her that had narrators in her KQ7, Phantasmagoria, and KQ8 years.

Add Comment