User Avatar Image

Ridley Scott's Prometheus (Alien Prequel) Thread

posted by Davies on - last edited - Viewed by 5.4K users

Four leaked photos from the set of Ridley Scott's upcoming film Prometheus (aka the prequel to Alien) have been leaked. Observe and worship the following slices of awesomeness...

cave-450x335.jpgA cave of some sort. You may note that the walls have an H.R. Giger (the creator of the Alien creature) vibe to them. Also, please note that the tractor is not a part of a set but rather an asset of the production team.

entrance.jpgMankind discovers an ancient doorway built by the mysterious Space Jockey race (whose skeletal remains were seen in the original Alien). Note the hieroglyphics surrounding the archway.

prometheus_set3.jpgThis is the secondary arch, just beyond the entrance shown in the pervious photo. Note the scale of the set against the chair towards the lower portion of the photo, this set is fucking epic!

prometheus_set_2.jpgWe're now through the second archway and standing in the main chamber. All three of the above photos are displaying one massive, glorious set. You may notice that we're certainly not in Kansas anymore, but inside the genius mind of H.R. Giger. The franchise hasn't looked this close to its source material since Ridley's original '79 masterpiece...

SpaceJockey.jpgThis is the Space Jockey set from the original Alien. It looks rather similar to the leaked photo above, yes?

228 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Yeah I meant Hill and Giler. *slaps self* can't believe I screwed that up.
    I actually like the idea. The universe(and no, I obviously don't mind him expanding on it) needs something at this point. I'm sorry to say that Sigourney needed to go(or at least her creative control) and well I'm not so sorry to say that AVP threw too much garbage together. I do believe I can count on Scott to not have a "the end, or is it?" ending...it's the studio that I'm worried about. Anyone who has knowledge of what happened with the David Fincher incident should have the same fear. ...Just how much control does Ridley have? I do agree with Scott that the only direction the movies had was back. I don't recall if Resurrection had a date attached, but I think 3 was late 2100s or 3100s(It's been a while, I apologize for not having the dates on the top of my head at the moment, but I'm leaning towards 3100s). There's only so far ahead you can go before technology becomes a problem.

• @Irishmile said: Yeah... I didn't read any of that... I'm sure you're right though :p

Hey, no worries. Allow me to summerise for you...

* I'm asolutely right and you're completely and utterly wrong... about everything in the world... ever.

* Ridley Scott is a genius and you are not. I, however, am an even greater genius than old Riddles himself and any other such puny mortal for that matter.

* 'Space Jockeys' are the favored choice of under-garment for the astronaut who likes style and comfort.

...that is all.

@Irishmile said: The universe(and no, I obviously don't mind him expanding on it) needs something at this point. I'm sorry to say that Sigourney needed to go(or at least her creative control) and well I'm not so sorry to say that AVP threw too much garbage together.

I couldn't agree more.

@Irishmile said: I do believe I can count on Scott to not have a "the end, or is it?" ending...it's the studio that I'm worried about. Anyone who has knowledge of what happened with the David Fincher incident should have the same fear. ...Just how much control does Ridley have?

A lot more control than David Fincher had on the set of Alien 3, that's for sure. You have to remember that Alien3 was Fincher's first feature length film (he had been directing music videos prior to that). When Ridley Scott directed Alien in '79 he had already made his first feature film (the superb "The Duellists").

It's also worth noting that Ridley is a strong personality and always has been. He doesn't back down to the man (i.e. the suits at the studio). Fox put immense pressure on Scott throughout the filming of Alien and attempted to interfere with his vision. However, Ridley stood his ground and insisted that it was done his way. He won the battle.

I don't have the exact quote to hand (I know it's on the Alien DVD's extras somewhere) but allow me to paraphrase...

"As a director you [I]have to fight for your vision. The studio and perhaps the crew will question your decisions and attempt to forcibly influence you, but you absolutely must stand your ground. I wonder just how many directors cave in and end up not getting exactly what they were after."[/I] - Not the actual words of Ridley Scott but damn close all the same.

@Irishmile said: I don't recall if Resurrection had a date attached, but I think 3 was late 2100s or 3100s(It's been a while, I apologize for not having the dates on the top of my head at the moment, but I'm leaning towards 3100s).

Well, the first Alien never specified the year in which the film is set but the first draft of the script stated that it was set during 2087 (that might seem too soon considering the advanced tech seen in the film but you have to remember that Alien is canonically following on from the alternate future shown in Blade Runner - even if it was yet to be conceived of, where the investment in the space program never ceased up and mankind explored the farthest stars).

Aliens takes place 57 years on from the original, so that places us at 2144.

Alien3 took place only a couple of weeks on from the previous movie and so we're still in 2144.

Alien Resurrection took place approximately 200 years after the events of Alien3, which means that it's set around 2344. So you were only about 750 years off. :D

... but of course, Resurrection never happened in my mind. :p

• Actually I was only ~30 off(if i went by my first "late 2100s" stance) I was stating from Alien3. :P

• @Johro said: Actually I was only ~30 off(if i went by my first "late 2100s" stance) I was stating from Alien3. :P

Ah, yes. You are indeed correct. That'll teach me to properly read other peoples posts in the future (which ever year that may be).

• This movie might be good, but I'd rather see a new alien 3, that pretends the original alien 3 (and alien 4) never happened. Alien 3 really killed the franchise by being so terrible.

• @GuybrushWilco said: This movie might be good, but I'd rather see a new alien 3, that pretends the original alien 3 (and alien 4) never happened. Alien 3 really killed the franchise by being so terrible.

For the love of God, go and watch the assembly cut of Alien3 because it's fucking awesome, m'kay?

The assembly cut reinserts much of the cut content from the theatrical release, including the best part of the entire film; where the prisoners actually trap the alien midway through the film, only for Paul McGann's character (the "dragon" worshiping Golic) to slice the throat of the guarding prisoner and release his "God".

Also, the Alien itself is born from an Ox, as opposed to a dog. We also glimpse the "super-facehugger", which acts as carrier of the Queen's seed; hence why Ripley has a Queen chestburster inside her. There are many other alterations and edits, all of which make it a vastly superior film to the version you've most likely seen.

If, having watched the assembly cut (ideally on Blu-Ray, for which they brought back a few of the cast members to re-record certain dialogue and created a few new special effects) and you still think it's crap, then there really is no hope for you. Alien3: The Assembly Cut represents the true follow up to Ridley Scott's Alien, as opposed to James Cameron's action oriented Aliens (as great as it is).

• Paul McGann? What? *goes to find Alien 3*

• Yeah Davies is right the re-cut Alien3 is pretty awesome.... I actually think Alien3 is more of a true sequel to the original... Its more of a slow build suspense/horror like the first one... where as Aliens and Alien 4 are more of a Action/Horror.. I really like them all .... I even like the AVP movies... not as much but I enjoyed them....

• @Irishmile said: I actually think Alien3 is more of a true sequel to the original...

Precisely, that's why I said that. ;)

@Irishmile said: I even like the AVP movies... not as much but I enjoyed them....

That does it! GET OUT OF THIS FORUM RIGHT NOW!

j/k

... sorta. :p

@Irishmile said: Paul McGann? What? *goes to find Alien 3*

Indeed, Withnail's friend "I" is in Alien3 but be sure to watch the assembly cut, not just because it's great but because his best scenes were (insanely) cut from the theatrical version.

• Oh, I thought you were talking about these shorts.

Add Comment