User Avatar Image

Alcohol

posted by DAISHI on - last edited - Viewed by 480 users

If a person goes out every night for a drink or two, is that worse than someone who binges heavy on a Friday or Saturday? Are there differences between a person who goes out for a drink or two and someone who stays home and takes a drink or two?

96 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Vainamoinen said: Nonetheless, doctors do not recommend that glass of wine because small doses of alcohol would somehow help your body. Grape juice is even more healthy than that "recommended" glass of wine (but people are less likely to drink it ;) ).

It's not the alcohol, but rather the antioxidants in the wine that comes from the grape skins during fermentation (red wine is made with grape-skin contact).

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/ss01/anthocyanin.html

There is considerable anecdotal and epidemiological evidence that dietary anthocyanin pigments and polyphenolics may have preventive and therapeutic roles in a number of human diseases. Through the much publicized “French paradox”, the public has become aware that certain populations of red-wine drinkers in France and Italy have much lower rates of coronary heart disease (CHD) than their North American and Northern European counterparts. It is widely accepted that red wine phenolics contribute at least partly to this beneficial effect. A number of studies have shown that mortality from CHD is inversely correlated with intake of flavonoids in the diet. Flavonoids may also help prevent strokes. While some flavonoids have been shown to inhibit tumor development, some experts have concluded that compounds other than flavonoids must be responsible for the anticancer effects of dietary fruits and vegetables.

I knew my post-graduate wine-making qualifications would finally come in handy... ;)

• @DAISHI said: If a person goes out every night for a drink or two, is that worse than someone who binges heavy on a Friday or Saturday? Are there differences between a person who goes out for a drink or two and someone who stays home and takes a drink or two?

I don't like "binging" anymore. If you drink, you drink. I'd say the real difference you should be comparing would be that person that gets drunk every day... and the person that has one drink per day (or binges once a week). Clearly these are people that either enjoy a good pint, or are just having fun with their mates on the weekend. If you drink to drunkne-ness every day, then there's a problem.

• I don't drink to drunkeness every day. That said, I just got done at the bar.

• drinking is bad for you. I drink soda and i feel happy without alcohol.

• I think it depends if you cannot go without that 1 or 2 drinks every day. I read somewhere that a drink every day is more telling of addiction that binging once a week if you must have that one drink and cannot go without it. But hey, that's just someone's opinion. My own, I think drinking til you fall down is more dangerous as you can get into a lot of dangerous situations....

• Well I'm actually giving it a rest. I'm sick of drinking.

• "Alcohol is the cause of and solution to all of life's problems" - Homer Simpson.

Prove me wrong.

• Alcohol isn't...Whiskey is.

• @cheepwhistle said: drinking is bad for you. I drink soda and i feel happy without alcohol.

Soda's bad for you. I drink beer and I feel happy without inhibition. :p

• @cheepwhistle said: drinking is bad for you. I drink soda and i feel happy without alcohol.

Sounds like a cry for help to me!

This discussion has been closed.