User Avatar Image

Shows you liked that nobody else did

posted by DAISHI on - last edited - Viewed by 2.4K users

Was there ever a show you liked that you didn't feel caught on in your circle of friends, maybe one that only you watched? We all know G.I. Joe and Transformers and how popular those were, but was there a show you watched that others didn't?

I'll give you one of my favorite examples.

ultraman_towards_the_future_186x250.jpg

Ultraman: Towards the Future

About an astronaut on Mars named Jack Shindo who sees a terrifying battle between a gigantic alien named Gudis and a towering cyborg. The cyborg, Ultraman, defeats the alien, which then flees to earth. Since Ultraman cannot tolerate the polluted atmosphere of Earth, he joins with Jack Shindo. Shindo carries a pendant around that he can use to summon Ultraman whenever large aliens threaten the world, which is apparently often.

www30.atwiki.jp.jpeg

The show was filmed in Australia and has a cast of mostly Australian actors. The acting is kind of bad but some of them actually pull off a decent part. Shindo himself is an AWFUL actor, but the commander of the human team that defends earth is pretty amazing. There's a narrator who sounds like he's trying to channel Jor-El from the Superman movies, and a pretty rocking soundtrack that's super heroic.

It was good enough to get one of these:
424587-ultraman___towards_the_future_larultraman%20-%20towards%20the%20future-1.

So if you're looking for a cheesy show about a giant robot fighting aliens and promoting environmentalism against a mixed Australian cast with a Jor-El knockoff and a butt kicking soundtrack, this is for you. I only recently started watching old episodes because, amazingly, it's on Hulu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3riYDZosflw

161 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • [quote=pocketim;525380]it always seemed to me that everyone who actually watched that show actually really liked it. I always had a little personal preference to adventures of sonic the hedgehog (which on the other hand, everyone hated xd) but i still loved satam, and did feel that satam was overall the better show, and the best sonic cartoon so far.

On the topic of video game cartoons, the earthworm jim cartoon was really good and overlooked too.[/quote]

love earthworm jim! <3

Its third only to Ren and Stimpy and Freakazoid.

(The best damn shows ever. If you don't agree then, I'll just have to confiscate your TV licence)

• Aw yes the days of Ren and Stimpy.

• Here's another.

CAPTAIN POWER AND THE SOLDIERS OF THE FUTURE
    Captain_Power_logo.jpg

Another show of the 80s, in this one, Captain Power fights alongside Major Matthew 'Hawk' Masterson, Lieutenant Michael 'Tank' Ellis, Sergeant Robert 'Scout' Baker and Corporal Jennifer 'Pilot' Chase. Their war is against the evil Lord Dread and his army of Bio-Mechs, humans turned machine that rage over the planet.

377781_main.jpg1pilot3.jpg
    Dread and Power, formerly scientists who worked together named Dr. Taggart and Dr.... Power, became blood enemies. Power developed the Power Suits, capable of going toe to toe with the Bio Mech army. However, humanity was on the brink of collapse 15 years after the Metal Wars had begun, in which the show takes place.
    49135_607796881_3467_n.jpg
    The show was marked by a line of tie in toys. Action figures were of course on the market, but the coolest of these toys were the aircraft. Buying an aircraft, you could fire at the TV screen during the show. If you hit the enemy Biomechs that were flying through the air, you got points. Take enough damage from their blasts and the pilot of your ship would be ejected from the cockpit, signaling the end to your mission.
    Fvehicles1.jpg
    To transform into their power suits, each member of the team would step up to the Energizer and shout, "POWER ON!"
    http://youtu.be/5UNmOy2Xp6s

As a further incentive, this show was written by the same man who wrote Babylon 5.

• @Silverwolfpet said: Believe it or not, my Bro and I are the only people I know (from my country) that like "Doctor Who".

That's ironic, as my Dad and I are the only two people in the UK to dislike Doctor Who (or Doctor Poo, as we oh-so-maturely call it).

• Speaking of Sonic...

Sonic X.

• Robocop The Live Action Series
    Godzilla The Series (both of them)
    Kolchak: The Night Stalker (the original)

• @Falanca said: Speaking of Sonic...

Sonic X.

That show wasn't so bad.

Sure it was kind of goofy, and that kid is REALLY REALLY irritating, it certainly wasn't bad.

• @scutheotaku said: FLCL. A great anime in my humble opinion, but none of my fellow otaku (anime fans) like it. In fact, they all hate it and mock me for my love of it. Takkun!!!!!!!!

One of the few anime's I've ever given up on (The other was Kiddy Grade, FTR). It just made absolutely no sense. At all. Ever.

It's actually kind of telling that it was made by the same team who did Evangelion, since it seems exactly the sort of insanity you'd come up with after spending years on incredibly depressing anime-fi.

• @Darth Marsden said: One of the few anime's I've ever given up on (The other was Kiddy Grade, FTR). It just made absolutely no sense. At all. Ever.

It's actually kind of telling that it was made by the same team who did Evangelion, since it seems exactly the sort of insanity you'd come up with after spending years on incredibly depressing anime-fi.

Nah, FLCL actually makes perfect sense, but you really do have to watch it 2 or 3 times to get it. The funny thing about FLCL is that almost every single "random" thing that happens either has some meaning (which becomes obvious once you "get" it) or is important to the story.

Also, you have to watch the whole thing (only 6 episodes) to have any chance at getting it. If you're interested, watch the whole thing, then watch it again. The "problem" with FLCL is that it's from the viewpoint of somebody who has absolutely no clue at what's going on until the end, thus the viewer has the same experience since nothing is really explained outside of what the main character and a few others see.

Oh, and I don't think all the blame lies on Gainax haha. It was a co-made by Gainax, Production I.G., and some studio called Starchild.

EDIT: Wow, I used quotation marks a lot...

Add Comment