User Avatar Image

Puzzle agent 2 PC (steam) not working

posted by welshwuff on - last edited - Viewed by 992 users

Hihi, ok so ive tried so many tricks to try getting this to work, reinstall, updating graphics/sound drivers, registry yada yada... and just... nothing works.

Ok so what happens is the game loads up, i get the first two screens (Telltale and Graham Hannable credits) and... crashes, it says "grickle102.exe" is not responding and just closes. Now i've also tryed Puzzle agent 1 and the same thing happens even though i could play it fine before back when 1 was released, i get "grickle101.exe" is not responding.

Is anyone else having problems with the PC version? im running it on Steam on windows 7 64bit with a GTX 480 Nvidia card.

48 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Faulting application name: Grickle102.exe, version: 2011.6.27.61593, time stamp: 0x4e09226b
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16695, time stamp: 0x4cc7ab86
    Exception code: 0xc0000374
    Fault offset: 0x000cea27
    Faulting process id: 0x1590
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cc39a82f42a3cf
    Faulting application path: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\puzzle agent 2\Grickle102.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: 732525d0-a59b-11e0-8d2a-60eb694bbbbe

• I assumed you've tried all the previous suggestions, like verifying files, compatibility mode, running as Admin etc?

Another thing to try is a clean boot and run the game.

And lastly, you'll need to uninstall the game from Program Files and install it elsewhere.

I know that's a pain with Steam, and it may not help for this issue, but you need to eliminate all possible causes.

• @Kleetus said: I assumed you've tried all the previous suggestions, like verifying files, compatibility mode, running as Admin etc?

Another thing to try is a clean boot and run the game.

And lastly, you'll need to uninstall the game from Program Files and install it elsewhere.

I know that's a pain with Steam, and it may not help for this issue, but you need to eliminate all possible causes.

I can reinstall it elsewhere, but I dont really really know how to run as admin/compatability mode. I'll take it one step at a time and let you know what happens. TY for being patient with me (and helping me of course).

• @Korne said: I dont really really know how to run as admin/compatibility mode.

It's fairly simple.

Right-click the game's executable Grickle102.exe, then Properties.

In the Compatibility tab, check the box "Run this program in Compatibility Mode For" and select the operating system from the drop-down box (you may need to try one at a time if the first selection doesn't work), check the box "Run this program as Administrator" under "Privelage Level", then apply.

That's pretty much it.

Info: To quickly run a program as Admin, you can right-click it's executable and select Run as Administrator, but this needs to be done every time you start the program.

@Korne said: TY for being patient with me (and helping me of course).

You're welcome, I hope you get this sorted.

• Running it in compatability mode worked. I switched the game back to its normal settings and it works fine. Thanks again for the help.

• You're welcome, I'm glad it's working.

Have fun.

• Puzzle Agent 2 doesn't work for me either. When it starts up it goes into a really low resolution and it looks like Puzzle Agent 2 doesn't allow you to change that anywhere in any files or settings outside of the game.

My screen flashes over and over and will stay stable for a few seconds, but the computer stops responding. One time I got a BSOD. I found out that the game was crashing the ATI driver and Windows kept restarting it only to then have Puzzle Agent 2 immediately crash it again.

I have the latest ATI driver installed. I've tried it in compatibility mode as well and Puzzle Agent 1 played for me fine.

• What version ATI driver do you have, have you tried the prefs file PuzzleBox has uploaded, and post a DXDiag.

Also, check Event Viewer for details of the BSoD.

• Hey, I am having similar problems with this. When I try to start the game it closes immediately. Tried all the steps mentioned above, also tried starting PC with nothing running but still not working.

I'm running Win7 32-bit with Ati HD4850 graphics card. Had similar problems with PA1 but it managed to get it working by updating all my drivers.

Here's the event log and my dxdiag.

• @ Slimer, all your drivers are OK, so I would be looking at DX and Visual C++ redistributables, and running it as admin.

I would also install the AMD Dual-Core Optimizer if it's suitable for your system.

And make sure your AMD Control Panel is set to "Application Controlled" and that you aren't forcing anything.

BTW, I have a 4890 with v11.4 and never had a single issue, there's no reason why it shouldn't be working for you.

Add Comment