User Avatar Image

Is this game worth it?

posted by Kalmageddon on - last edited - Viewed by 867 users

Hey, I'm thinking about buying this game...So is this a good game or... :D

47 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Yeah, that's overpriced. Big time.

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

I must say I don't quite understand the disparity in pricing between the app store (Hector $3.99, Puzzle Agent 2 $6.99) and the Telltale store (Hector $9.99, Puzzle Agent 2 $9.99). Maybe people are more likely to baulk at forking over double-dollar figures in the app store.

• I'm think there will be some sort of deal regarding the last two episodes for people who bought the first one at the full price. Like a special upgrade thing price wotsits maybe. Doodah.

• @puzzlebox said: Maybe people are more likely to baulk at forking over double-dollar figures in the app store.

That's it exactly. You can make a game worth $40 and charge only $4, and people will still call it overpriced in the reviews. It's been like that since day one on the iOS App Store, and I see the same thing happening on the Mac App Store only not quite as bad.

You can't really blame Telltale for charging what the market will bear on an individual platform basis. I think it's worse, though, for Hector because -- unlike Puzzle Agent -- you're pretty much getting a direct port without any desktop-specific features. So I agree that $10 is too much for this game episode. I got it from the $2.50 sale -- I wouldn't say it's a steal :p but I don't regret it either.

Also, this game is highly dependent on the humor, and humor is one of the most subjective of human experiences. So it's difficult for anyone to say whether or not "it's worth it" for someone else.

@puzzlebox said: I'm think there will be some sort of deal regarding the last two episodes for people who bought the first one at the full price. Like a special upgrade thing price wotsits maybe. Doodah.

I would have thought so, too, but look what they did with Puzzle Agent 2 -- not only no discount for those who paid full price for PA1, but all PA2 preorders got the bonus of a free PA1, not much of an incentive for those who already had it. So I'm not sure it's safe to expect upgrade pricing for future Hector episodes.

• I myself am also dissapointed by it. When you compare it to things such as Dinnerladies, Acorn Antiques, The Vicar of Dibley, Absolutely Fabulous, Only Fools and Horses, Monkey Dust, Little Britain, Monty Python, etc...it's a pretty poor example of what Britain has to offer in terms of humour and wit.

Heck, I remember hearing jokes about "Shaving Ryan's Privates" back in the 90s.

• @Gibbeynator said: If you have price concers and an iOS device, get it there for less.

Yes, because if you're cheap, you're going to go pay ~$500 for an iPad or iPhone just to buy the game in Apple's app store for a few dollars less. Makes tons of sense.

• @xbskid said: Yes, because if you're cheap, you're going to go pay ~$500 for an iPad or iPhone just to buy the game in Apple's app store for a few dollars less. Makes tons of sense.

So do you think that everyone that has an iPhone is rich? Or just that everyone who has an iPhone likes to waste money unnecesarily?

• I only got to play the full season recently, and I was pleasantly surprised by it. The PC port is a bit rough (essentially they picked the iOS version and put it on PC like that, including scrolling by clicking a button and double clicking to do anything), but all of the episodes were really enjoyable. The price of 20 bucks for all episodes isn't too bad. I finished all of them in about 10 hours.

• Its ABSOLUTELY worth it!
    The humor was perfect. A bit short though, but would never regretted it!

• Being a huge TTG fan since the very beginning, and after buying every possible game and every single piece of merchandise TTG have ever released (except clothing), I don't understand most of the negative opinions here.

I've played all the episodes on PC, have never encountered bugs, and I think that this is simply the best that TTG have to offer for 2011.

Sadly, with all of their 2011 releases, there is no real competition - but even in universal terms, without comparison to the games released in 2011 only, in my opinion - it's a fantastic game.
    And, even more sadder, it's not even TTG's franchise. It's like TTG "needed help from outside", from a small studio, in order to put a single worthy release through the whole passing year.

Anyway, the game is hilarious, the humor is top notch, the gameplay is very good, and this is the only TTG game from 2011 that has left me with a taste for more.

Add Comment