User Avatar Image

About the end...

posted by Scarlet Spider on - last edited - Viewed by 1.5K users

You're complaining about the 3 Martys, but if the space time continuum is tearing apart like Doc said, it's "logical" that all the timelines are crushing together no? So all the timelines are joined together in one, which is why the continuum is tearing apart. This is not totally illogical for me, but it's really a disaster. What's your point of view?

95 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Oh sorry about the title. Should be more careful.

• huh? why have these two threads merged? One thread is about the three Marty's the other is about Kid and Edna

• Remember guys, when in doubt: Science is magic; or, A Wizard did it.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Both threads are about the ending of the game, and the title still fits, hamza.
    Same spoilers for everyone. ;)

On topic:

@mirroman478 said:
    1.Edna burned down Kid's Speakesy and tried to burn down another one of his
    2. Edna hates alcohol enough to burn down its establishments, why would she get together with someone who makes them?
    3. Kid tried to kill Edna, why would she want to get married to him?

I can think of a lot. Kid Tannen had, in 1931, already killed countless people who were in his way (as evidenced in the speakeasy caricatures). We simply must assume that (a) in 1931, he would have to get at least life in prison and no chance of parole, (b) Edna knew this and would never even come close to this murderer and (c) even if Tannen did get out of prison and Edna would somehow start to like him, we're still looking at some solid 30 to 40 years in prison, leaving Edna alone in that time; and that beats the psychological purpose of this story development. Edna was "given" Kid to lessen Marty's and the player's possible bad conscience by taking Doc "away from her". This failed; and possibly as point (d) Biff Tannen is still conceived, so according to TTG's established history, Kid would still have to break out of prison for three hours in ca. 1937, thus lengthening his incarceration.

Secondly, also from a storytelling point of view, the character of Kid Tannen is beyond repair. Even if Tannen miraculously found his way to a better self, the player would have to SEE that development, at least the beginning of it, in the game. Nothing like that occurred here, making the Edna-Kid pairing even harder to swallow.

• I can see the possibility that these three marty's are some how a consequence of 1986 having been changed 3 times with the temporal duplicate throughout the episodes.

1st Marty: - kind of how regular marty should turn out; married to jen and has er... 12 kids(?) = result of episode 5 version of 1986.

2nd marty: - blue marty talks about being married to tiff tannen. He could be from the future of FCB timeline who never marries jen.

3rd Marty: - this could be the one from the timeline ruled by the tannen family. All the running from mob thugs have toughened him up.

Or it could all be a joke, which I enjoyed just as much :)

• I've been debating several times whether or not alternate futures can affect the past. Ultimately I came to the conclusion they can;

In the trip back to 1955 in part II we see Marty from part I (twin pines mall) as well as biff from 2015 lone pines mall timeline despite the fact that both these timelines were not current one and biff may be dead by 2015 in that timeline.

In episodes 3 and 4 of the game which were FCB timeline, there is plenty of evidence of 'old doc' still making the trip to 1931 (him being in FCB's picture, the fact everyone still remembers Carl Sagan)

So I'm sure we are in agreement that 2015 will not play out the same way we saw in part II due to changes to the timeline. So lets say in the current version of the timeline, biff gets a time machine again in 2015 and travels back to november 12th 1955, we'd have 2 different versions of Biff from 2 timelines. So this is the same rationale you can use for the 3 marty's.

• @Michael J Fox is Canadian said: I've been debating several times whether or not alternate futures can affect the past. Ultimately I came to the conclusion they can;

In the trip back to 1955 in part II we see Marty from part I (twin pines mall) as well as biff from 2015 lone pines mall timeline despite the fact that both these timelines were not current one and biff may be dead by 2015 in that timeline.

In episodes 3 and 4 of the game which were FCB timeline, there is plenty of evidence of 'old doc' still making the trip to 1931 (him being in FCB's picture, the fact everyone still remembers Carl Sagan)

So I'm sure we are in agreement that 2015 will not play out the same way we saw in part II due to changes to the timeline. So lets say in the current version of the timeline, biff gets a time machine again in 2015 and travels back to november 12th 1955, we'd have 2 different versions of Biff from 2 timelines. So this is the same rationale you can use for the 3 marty's.

I agree with you 100%. This is the same example I use to explain how multiple timelines can affect the final timeline, even if those timelines have been erased.

Hell, even in 1885 in BTTF3, Doc and Marty have both arrived from different timelines. Doc has arrived from the repaired Lone Pine timeline (where the ravine is named Clayton Ravine, the Delorean wasn't in the mine and there was no tombstone). Marty arrives from the 'Shonash' timeline (where the ravine is named Shonash Ravine (though Marty remembers the original timeline), the Delorean was in the mine and there was a tombstone). The arrival of Doc from the Lone Pine timeline, combined with that of Marty from the Shonash timeline, results in the Eastwood timeline. Now, the timelines both Doc and Marty arrived from have been erased, and yet their actions (and in Marty's case, what he learned in the erased Shonash timeline) are instrumental in the creation of the Eastwood timeline.

• The confusing thing with your examples are that those alternate timeline people are different people. Like its Doc&Marty or Doc&Biff&Marty but never the same guy.

Yes there were 2 Martys in BTTF2 1955 but there's a question too; which Marty was that on the stage, TP or LP or even another Marty?

I personally think LP has to get erased with his first trip because if he didn't, TP Marty would eventually have to get erased. Also if LP didn't get erased, events in 1955 would now be slightly different since LP Marty is a slightly different guy. This would mean with every trip of the next alternate, events in the past are slightly changed so it renders things much more complex, more suitable for paradoxes. Therefore I guess we all believe it was TP Marty in BTTF2 1955 on the stage.

So I think this alternate selves coexisting issue never took place in the movies.

Also I always believed that there has to be an "original" who is making the first trip in BTTF universe. And alternate younger selves somehow get erased when they reach that moment in their life spans. If original somehow endangers his existance, he gets erased.

So I really don't get how is it possible. 2 of those Martys shouldn't be able to appear at the end of the game.

• think of it this way; at one point in time there was a timeline where only only one future marty shows up in 1986. Then the timeline changed (probably through time travel) so that a second marty showed up. Then it changed again so a 3rd marty shows up.

Yes i'm well aware normally we see things from the earliest version of the timestream but remember the future always trumps the past. So from docs perspective he wouldnt remember the original timeline where he's not visited by marty in 1955. Likewise even though a timeline existed where marty is not visited by his future self in 1986, marty would remember this (or the timelines where he was only visited by 1 or 2 versions of himself). If you asked these future martys what they remember on June 15th 1986 they'd each remember either not being visited by a future self or only 1 or 2 future selves growing up.

Think of this possibility
    1) marty from the regular silver delorean is from the earliest timeline. From his memory once he and doc return to 1986 they go and do whatever they were going to do inside with no future visits
    2) marty is visited by silver delorean marty and they go time traveling. Something which happens during their travels changes his past or future timeline but either way he ends up becoming blue delorean marty
    3) marty is visited by silver and blue delorean marty and goes time traveling. His path gets changed again and he becomes black delorean marty

Now keep in mind that because they are time displaced, they wouldnt fade out. So silver marty would return to his present and find it's now the blue timeline and then bue marty would return to his present and find its the black timeline. Depending on what events cause the timelines to change, it's possible this 3 keep going back and back to restore their respective timelines. Eventually they all arrive on this date because it is the earliest they can go (they dont want to intercept marty before he leaves for 1931 to risk a paradox)

4) this is the timeline we see. 3 marty's come from the future. So it's possible that upon seeing the future marty's individual timelines, marty will be able to choose the one he likes best based on the decisions he makes.

• Let's also remember this. Even Doc Brown was confused as **** as to how all that was happening. If the Doc can't figure it out, what chance do we have?

Add Comment