User Avatar Image

Cell-shading in Sam & Max pretty please!

posted by Anonymous on - last edited - Viewed by 1.6K users

One of the first things that struck me when I first saw the old movies from the now cancelled Sam & Max, was how horribly bulbous and clumsy the 3D lit characters looked.

It is nearly impossible to do a good-looking extrusion of a character designed for 2D (or even 2.5D like Sam & Max), to a 3 dimensional model.
The design will almost always lose all of its lightness and springiness.
Therefore I plea you Telltale Games artists: By all means, make the characters in the new Sam & Max game 3d, BUT cell/toon shade them!

18 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Have you actually read the comics?! The style is very cartoony (in Mr Purcells own distinct way). The setting is something that does resemble the real world, but the style is very stylized.

The way the two main characters is designed really doesn't lend itself to 3d. You can take a lot of freedoms in designing a 2d character that just won't translate well to 3d.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Yes, the world is stylized, but in a way totally based on reality. It's not flat or anything like a modern TV cartoon that would require cell shading in a game version... it's a very 3D, living world in the comics, that is best shown using "realistic" character models that are simply designed in exaggerated, stylized ways. Like Freelance Police was.

• [quote]Have you actually read the comics?! [/quote]

Ah, the age old come-back. And yes, yes I have. Many times. What I was trying to say was what SMNMX has so well described. Except in much bigger letters. And the letters were going to be pink.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

So what you are saying, is that that the computery look is what Steve Purcell is really secretly aspiring to be able to do, and all comics should in fact be lightmapped so as to look as "real" as possible?
    The outlined "flat" look is not something artists do out of strict necessity you know. It pleases the eye in a different way and brings with it a lot of graphical possibilities, that "reality" just won't allow (or at least it would look very wrong).

Again, the settings might be based on something that resembles reality but the style is *far* from naturalistic.

• I think that just like how Sam & Max can drop themselves pretty successfully into any story medium or genre, they can be successfully transported into a lot of visual styles. Looking at Steve Purcell's line art drawings (very flat) and then his painted cover art (very round, shaded) and then at the watercolor (just really awesome), it's not much of a stretch for me seeing them done well in 3D.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

is this the kind of styling you wish the next sam and max look like?
    http://www.adventure-eu.com/index.php?option=com_zoom&Itemid=1&catid=103&Itemid=29

well, technically it looks great, but I really dont think it might work for the sam and max, tough I must agree it can be done better, and it can match the visual style of the comics...

tough i've always looked at Sam&Max visual style as a bit more grimy than the cartoony style LucasArts gave to the previous game

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]is this the kind of styling you wish the next sam and max look like?
    http://www.adventure-eu.com/index.php?option=com_zoom&Itemid=1&catid=103&Itemid=29

well, technically it looks great, but I really dont think it might work for the sam and max, tough I must agree it can be done better, and it can match the visual style of the comics...

tough i've always looked at Sam&Max visual style as a bit more grimy than the cartoony style LucasArts gave to the previous game[/quote]
    Very nice but it looks way too clean. Maybe if you grimed it up a bit it'd work.
    Actually i wouldn't mind seeing sam and max go back to the old pixelated sprite look from "Sam and Max: Hit The Road". Great memories....mite go play it now

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]is this the kind of styling you wish the next sam and max look like?
    [/quote]

Oooh. A bit of adjusting to the general style but Sam & Max would look great like that. I'm not a big fan of cartoon to 3d transitions myself. While I'll likely snatch up whatever telltale produces with Sam & Max, I'd enjoy it more with less of the 3d feel.

• I really, really liked how Freelance Police looked/was looking. Okay, so the models were chunky, but the important thing to me was that the style seemed right. I just don't see Sam & Max and cel shading being a good fit (though on the other hand I had my reservations about Zelda and was immediately blown away and won over upon seeing Wind Waker in motion). I think Telltale should have a better reason to use an art style than to just smooth out the look of 3D models. Make it true to Sam & Max first and foremost.

Also, isn't there a big difference between cel-shading and the user of toon shaders? Admittedly I know next to nothing about this stuff, but I'm pretty sure Freelance Police used toon shaders.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]

The traditional 2D squash'n stretch, overly expressive animation style, just looks *so* wrong when applied to 3D.
    [/quote]

I disagree... the Incredibles proved that.

Add Comment