User Avatar Image

The Newly Regenerated Doctor Who Thread

posted by Friar on - last edited - Viewed by 21.8K users

So, Christmas is approaching, and with it a brand new Doctor who episode, and seeing as it's no longer series 5, I thought it would be time for a new, more generalised Doctor who thread!

For those who are new to the series, It features a humanoid Alien (timelord) called the Doctor, who travels in time and space in the TARDIS. He's the last of his race, and when he dies, he regenerates into a new person (up to 13 times). So far he has done so 11 times, with the current, 11th doctor being Matt Smith.
the11doctors.png

To kick things off, here's a trailer for the new Doctor who ipod/iphone/ipad/android game: The mazes of time!

4.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Majus said: but that promo-pic is a pretty awful Photoshop-filter-mess.

I always wanted to know how to photograph my actors (and what filters to apply in photoshop) to achieve that wax-like face effect. It looks pretty epic.

• Just a heads-up, 1-Up is giving away Series Six Part One of Doctor Who right now.

• @Ribs said: 5.5 minutes of Colourized 60's Who. It's amazing.

It looks so natural too... there are some colorisations that are so fake looking and unnatural, but the colors look like they could have been there all along =D

• @dumpling321 said: It looks so natural too... there are some colorisations that are so fake looking and unnatural, but the colors look like they could have been there all along =D

Yeah, this guy helped with the recolourization of Planet of the Daleks, inwhich Episode 3 was only available in Black and White due to the color print being lost. I'd love to see a whole episode done like this, just because I'm incredibly selfish. But it takes roughy 15 minutes a frame, which means that a full, 25 frames per minute and 25 minute episodes would take 150+ hours. He could do The Mind Robber One, which is only 18 minutes long, if he wanted, though.

• 25 frames per second, not per minute :)

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

@Ribs said: 5.5 minutes of Colourized 60's Who. It's amazing.

Stunning. Absolutely stunning. Somebody hire this man right god-damn now.

• Much as it would be nice to dream, I doubt that financially it could be justified to hire Babelcolour, bearing in mind he did every single frame by hand! That kind of labour-intensive work would cost a fortune (whereas the stuff on his youtube site he did, of course, for free, and for the love of the show).

Interesting, though, and some of the comments on youtube agree with me here, that the clips from "The Invasion" look better than the others. I thought some of the other clips had their colours too deep, but "The Invasion" looks pretty close to 1970s Who. Is that just because we're used to seeing the Brig in colour, or is just better?

• @FitzoliverJ said: Interesting, though, and some of the comments on youtube agree with me here, that the clips from "The Invasion" look better than the others. I thought some of the other clips had their colours too deep, but "The Invasion" looks pretty close to 1970s Who. Is that just because we're used to seeing the Brig in colour, or is just better?

Aside from some short clips he colourized for the Ten Doctors, it's the most recent thing he's done, meaning he's had more experience. In addition, the VIDfire (DVD restoration for 60's Who) for The Invasion is rather nicely done.

Edit: I just compared screengrabs from my DVDs of The Mind Robber vs The Invasion, two back-to-back stories, the difference being one was done in 2005 and the other in 2008, and The Invasion is much cleaner.

Unrelated edit:

This picture is incredibly unsettling for a reason I can't put together.
    tumblr_lp0j7sRppx1qelxclo1_500.png

One more picture:
    3WrpR.jpg

• So the newly announced Minecraft Mobs are Weeping Angels pretty much.

They are peaceful.
    Until you look straight at them.
    Then they stop and stare at you.
    The endermen are coming for you, but listen, your life could depend on this: don't blink. Don't even blink. Blink and you're dead. They are fast, faster than you could believe. Don't turn your back, don't look away, and *don't blink*! Good luck.

I'm off to have some nightmares. Bye!

Add Comment