User Avatar Image

An Indiana Jones game based on the two attempted sequels for atlantis.

posted by Leplaya on - last edited - Viewed by 708 users

I was reading about Indiana Jones when I came across information on two attempted sequels for Fate of Atlantis. Which had both were cancelled. As far as what I am reading is correct, the second attempt was canned due to the development problems. While the first attempt had some marketing problem(Due to it being based on Hitler being recreated).

Now as far as gamers go, I still run into people who are into seeing these two proposed concepts come alive as a video game. But what if there was something like these two concepts? Something that is similar but not too similar to the concepts that were attempted. Would you buy it?

16 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Erm...putting this back on track a little...

I could easily do the music on this one. I love indy's theme :D

• A bit more info about the cancelled games in question.

Also sort-of on topic is the fan-games. There's a good few in development, none of which I can be bothered to link to. Or can I?

EDIT: Yes I can, since I found a great big list of them all. Here it is.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Thanks for the link, but:

But the death-knell for Iron Phoenix came after European trade show ECTS, where LucasArts showed the game and learned that Germany (the biggest market for adventure games) would never allow a game that explicitly showed Nazis. Other Indy games got away with this by covering up the references, but Nazis and Hitler were a main part of Iron Phoenix's plot.

Sorry, IndyJones.net, you have no idea what you are talking about. No game that "explicitly showed Nazis" in Germany? What about Fate of Atlantis itself, Mr. Doofus IndyJones.net writer? I have a German version of that game with Dr. Hans Uberman quite intact, thank you. What about our very own adventure game "Lost Horizon" (from 2010), that was filled to the brim with Nazis?

lost-horizon-screenshot-4-614x250.jpg

...yes, that is as far as you go with those symbols in Germany. Also, the game sucked, but that's not the point.:D

Also, the marketing and developing people at LucasArts "learned" of this on ETCS? If anything was in their way, wouldn't they know about this decisively earlier, maybe during the release of Indy 3 or FoA?? That text is a joke. Now I'm offended. :)

• This whole discussion is silly -- no other country can even come close to Australia as the Capital of Censorship.

To answer the question of the original post, I think a new Indy game could potentially be either great, or a huge disappointment, without too much ground in between. It depends a lot upon who Lucasarts would get to make the game -- if they did what is suggested here and made a de-facto sequel to FoA, then I think it would be lots of fun. If they went the far more likely route of making a generic action game, then it would probably be terrible.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@KuroShiro said: This whole discussion is silly -- no other country can even come close to Australia as the Capital of Censorship.

*SOB*

@KuroShiro said: To answer the question of the original post, I think a new Indy game could potentially be either great, or a huge disappointment, without too much ground in between. It depends a lot upon who Lucasarts would get to make the game -- if they did what is suggested here and made a de-facto sequel to FoA, then I think it would be lots of fun. If they went the far more likely route of making a generic action game, then it would probably be terrible.

Haven't they already? ;)

Picking up material that's almost 20 years old is probably not the way to go. If you pick up a franchise like Indiana Jones as a developer, you'd probably want the core of the creative process for yourself and NOT use yesteryear's ideas to begin with.

• I don't think there's anything wrong with picking up an old project, as long as you can do your own thing with it. If you absolutely have to follow the original's design plan and recreate it exactly, then yeah, that'd be extremely restrictive and not worth the effort.

But then, I'm not in the development business. I wouldn't really know.

• How does such a cool admin get to be put on to ice!?Vainamoinen ice ice baby!

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

This issue did not let me rest, so I dug a little deeper into the matter. Here's what I turned up with, an interview with Hal Barwood with German website Adventure-treff:

Adventure-Treff: The Sequel to Fate of Atlantis, The Iron Phoenix has not been released after a long development, too. In an interview with The Indy Experience you mention the problems with a German release as the main reason for that. How far has the development of this game already gone and were there any other reasons for not releasing it, too?

Hal Barwood: Germany has always been a big market for adventure games and for LucasArts in particular, and when the company's German partners discovered that the Iron Phoenix story dealt with Nazis that persisted after World War II, they warned us that it couldn't be marketed in your country. After some serious number-crunching, the powers at LucasArts felt that, without German support, revenues could not be recouped, and it was cancelled. Had we thought harder about the story beforehand, I think we would have realized it was insensitive, so its loss has given me no regrets.

The wikipedia entry for FOA references this interview. Marketing was the problem, not the law - low interest in such a story, not censorship brought LucasArts to back off the project.

• Indiana Jone and the Infernal machine and the later games actual follow after the events of Indiana Jones and Sophia.

• Actually, only Infernal Machine followed after Fate of Atlantis.

Emperor's Tomb quite explicitly leads into The Temple of Doom (there's hints in the manual and the game ends in the same area of the world that ToD begins), while Staff of Kings has Nazis, so is presumably set in the same time-frame as the original films.

The big question is where in Indy's timeline Infernal Machine lies, given the events of Crystal Skull. Pretty obvious Skull comes after Machine, but how far apart are they? I dunno.

Add Comment