User Avatar Image

Duke Nukem Forever

posted by doodo! on - last edited - Viewed by 3.9K users

Will Duke Nukem Forever EVER resurface or never...? Is the ship sunk or will they make another daring return somehow? What do you think? I don't know if their ready to let go of all that hype and glory yet, even though the team is mostly gone.

393 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • This is stupid. The game's practically broken by itself, patching just won't work. It's boring, unappealing, predictable, too formulaic and no popculture reference or increasement of the weapon inventory slots will save it from mediocrity.

Just make a new Duke Nukem game already with fresh ideas.

• I'd rather play Team Fortress 2 than this awful piece of shit.

• @Secret Fawful said: I'd rather play Team Fortress 2 than this awful piece of shit.

yeah, sad but true.

• The patch for Duke Nukem Forever has finally been released. It features a bunch of changes and improvements, here's the list:

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=128056

@Gearbox said: [list]
    [*]4-weapon inventory option for single player
    [*]MP Server favorites
    [*]Dedicated server overhaul
    [*]FOV can be modified
    [*]Change VOIP to push-to-talk (bandwidth fix)
    [*]VAC anti-cheat system enabled
    [*]Support for Japanese Steam ID’s for PC release in Japan
    [*]Auto-aim fix
    [*]Blood effects on surfaces behind enemies when shot
    [*]Steam.exe no longer uses an unusually high amount of CPU
    [*]Texture quality improvements
    [*]Fixes to prevent single player and multiplayer save data corruption
    [*]Leaderboard exploit fixed
    [*]AMD Dual-Core Optimizer no longer automatically installed (fixes rare bugs with Intel processors)
    [*]Crash/compatibility fixes and other minor bugs[/list]

Even though the dedicated servers now have a console window and are easier to start up, you still have no control. You can only view what's happening. Hopefully this will be improved upon as time goes on. And you still can't play on your own dedicated server because it's tied into Steam. There are no separate DS binaries.

And still no mod tools.

• @MusicallyInspired said: The patch for Duke Nukem Forever has finally been released. It features a bunch of changes and improvements, here's the list:

[SNIP]

Even though the dedicated servers now have a console window and are easier to start up, you still have no control. You can only view what's happening. Hopefully this will be improved upon as time goes on. And you still can't play on your own dedicated server because it's tied into Steam. There are no separate DS binaries.

And still no mod tools.

Give them time. What we've got here is still better than what we had before, and I believe there'll be further updates along with the forthcoming DLC (well, there should be, anyway). Things are getting better, if slowly.

The fact they've given us this patch is a sign that they're listening to what people want, which is a little rare - plus, they've not charged us for it, which is even rarer. It's a good sign.

If they do release mod tools (and they'd be fools not to), I suspect it'll be after the DLC. Maybe after that Single-Player stuff they've got coming (that I'm oddly looking forward to). Not a shred of proof they'll do this, but it makes a kind of sense - let them actually finish the game before we start fixing it and all that.

• I'm just afraid by the time they give it all out it'll be too late. DNF already has a reputation (the one SINCE its release not before) and it's already 2 months later and multiplayer server counts are dwindling.

• Hopefully it'll pick up once they patch the console versions. If not, then... well, there's always the next Duke Nukem game..?

On a unrelated matter, are there any achievements/trophies in Forever that can only be gotten in multiplayer?

Add Comment