User Avatar Image

New Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy-game by Hothead Games

posted by Tjibbbe on - last edited - Viewed by 1.2K users

Hothead just announced a new game based on Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. They set up a small teaser site (is that the voice of the original Arthur Dent, Simon Jones?): http://www.thenewhitchhikersguide.com/. Not much is known about the title just yet, but with E3 so close it wouldn't surprise me if more information is coming very soon.

On the one hand I'm very happy that there's a new Hitchhikers game, but I'm not sure if Hothead is the right company for it. What a Hitchhikers game needs, above all, is extremely good writing. I'm not sure if Hothead has writers that can come near Douglas Adams's level. Their games are pretty fun, but the writing (I guess I can only look at Deathspank, because every word of the Penny Arcade games was written by Jerry Holkins) is, in my opinion, pretty bad. And even if you enjoy Deathspank's humor, it's nothing like the kind of comedy you'll find in the Hitchhiker radio plays/books.

Anyway, maybe I'm being too pessimistic. I'm happy that this game is coming out at all, so let's stay positive for now.

Oh, and if someone from Telltale is reading this: get the Discworld license before Hothead gets their hands on it. Terry is still alive, and there are more movies and a television series coming soon, so get it before the rest of the videogame world realises what a perfect franchise it is.

79 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @LuigiHann said: Guess I'm alone in thinking this is kind of cool? I love having fictional objects turned into real-world objects. I didn't have high hopes for them making a particularly good Hitchhiker's Guide game, but this seems like something that I trust they'll be able to excel at.

This.

Next thing you know is when someone announces they're making a BTTF game and it turns out to be an iOS recreation of the Delorean that lets you actually travel in time everyone will complain.

• @Ribs said: This.

Next thing you know is when someone announces they're making a BTTF game and it turns out to be an iOS recreation of the Delorean that lets you actually travel in time everyone will complain.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/flux-capacitor/id391862376?mt=8

It does get a bit old. Hopefully the H2G2 app will have enough entries that I won't go through them all in one sitting.

• Sounds alright but I have a feeling it will be quite brief on articles.

• @Ribs said: This.

Damn right I will, I can't afford no iPhoneamajigger, time machine or not. :p

• Easy kill a man with the new app steal his iphone and then laylow in a different century till it all blows over. The plans perfect unless they come up with somekind of time police.

• Well considering the BBC shut down h2g2.co.uk, maybe this is a replacement? But with entries about the fictional universe rather than, you know, ours?

• @Molokov said: Well considering the BBC shut down h2g2.co.uk, maybe this is a replacement? But with entries about the fictional universe rather than, you know, ours?

The BBC hasn't shut down H2G2, it's been under refurbishment and is now here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/

• @LuigiHann said: Guess I'm alone in thinking this is kind of cool? I love having fictional objects turned into real-world objects. I didn't have high hopes for them making a particularly good Hitchhiker's Guide game, but this seems like something that I trust they'll be able to excel at.

Actually, the book's description of the Hitchhiker's Guide itself is less like an iPad or iPhone, but more that of an ebook reader--in the style of Kindle (ie. it has physical buttons) though the Guide's hardware displays in color; reads entries to you aloud in a still, quiet, measured voice (as opposed to our modern mechanical sounding text-to-speech) while the text appears on screen; has an extremely large memory capacity by 1979 standards (when HHGG was first published); and has only one ebook on it--the Guide software itself.

Not forgetting the plastic cover with the words "Don't Panic" on it, but I could probably get one of those for my Kindle.

a device that looked rather like a largish electronic calculator. This had about a hundred tiny flat press buttons and a screen about four inches square on which any one of a million “pages” could be summoned at a moment’s notice. It looked insanely complicated, and this was one of the reasons why the snug plastic cover it fitted into had the words DON’T PANIC printed on it in large friendly letters. The other reason was that this device was in fact that most remarkable of all books ever to come out of the great publishing corporations of Ursa Minor—The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. The reason why it was published in the form of a micro sub meson electronic component is that if it were printed in normal book form, an interstellar hitchhiker would require several inconveniently large buildings to carry it around in.

“You press this button here, you see, and the screen lights up, giving you the index.”
    A screen, about three inches by four, lit up and characters began to flicker across the surface.
    “You want to know about Vogons, so I entered that name so.” His fingers tapped some more keys. “And there we are.”
    The words Vogon Constructor Fleets flared in green across the screen.
    Ford pressed a large red button at the bottom of the screen and words began to undulate across it. At the same time, the book began to speak the entry as well in a still, quiet, measured voice.

EDIT: also, there's this:

kindle.png

• I suppose I should say that the app is not entirely unlike the real Hitchhiker's Guide

Add Comment