User Avatar Image

Things that never made it into the final product of video games

posted by Leplaya on - last edited - Viewed by 365 users

I thought it would be interesting if we had this topic. Now whenever a video game is in development, some concepts for the game are often taken out(for various reasons). Although sometimes you see this proposed idea being used for something else. Like for example. Full throttle had this psychedelic scene that Ben would encounter, but Tim would later use that idea for Pyschonauts. So what are video games that had things that wouldn't be in the final product of the game? Now I should mention that this goes for video games OUTSIDE of telltale's games. You can mention the stuff that didn't make it into Telltales games, but try to aim for the other stuff as well.

Epic Mickey originally had three design changes for Mickey. These designs would appear depending how you played the game. Which were Hero, Wastelander, and Scrapper. Gameinformer showed screenshots of both Hero and Scrapper mickey. Although this was cut from the game and was replaced with the guardians tints and turps.

35 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Darkblader said: I know a person who used to work for Naughty Dog around the PS1 days for crash bandicoot(this person is now working at Suckerpunch). I met with him at a gaming convention and he told me that around the development of Cortex Strikes back Tawna Bandicoot was originally to be added in the game. Although they had to redesign the character due to getting "complaints" from parents about her looks. Tawna went through a lot of design changes, I saw one of them which looked a bit similar to Jessica Rabbit. Although Naughty Dog wasn't impressed by these design changes and they decided to drop the idea completely. Thats how Coco bandicoot came to be, although they never explained how Coco got there to begin with.

Wait a minute...You knew somebody from Naughty dog? You got the redesign artwork of Tawna on you? I heard that one of the DS crash games had her in it.

• There is actually a whole website dedicated to this type of stuff http://www.unseen64.net/

• @Chyron8472 said: Warp Speed on Sam & Max Season 1.

Hey! I made it here!

• Turns out I found out that A vamprye story was originally a fully 2D animated PC game before it became a 2D/CG game.

http://forum.unseen64.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=77

• @Darkblader said: Turns out I found out that A vamprye story was originally a fully 2D animated PC game before it became a 2D/CG game.

http://forum.unseen64.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=77

Aw, that would have been awesome. What a shame.

• A vamprye story would have done much better as a fully 2D game. Why did they have to put that with CG? It doesn't mix well. At least thats what I think.

• @Leplaya said: A vamprye story would have done much better as a fully 2D game. Why did they have to put that with CG? It doesn't mix well. At least thats what I think.

I agree, it would have looked a lot better and certainly more consistent as an all 2D game. However, I'd imagine the change was made for reasons of time and money.

• @Vainamoinen said: Attention moderators: Dibs on the first ban due to NutriSpecs mention! :D

Are we seriously censoring all discussion of Telltale's failures now?

• @Davies said: I agree, it would have looked a lot better and certainly more consistent as an all 2D game. However, I'd imagine the change was made for reasons of time and money.

That last statement might be very possible. But as the old saying goes "Time is Money". You'd think the studio that made A Vamprye story would win a bigger crowd if it was 2D. Even some comments on Youtube videos related to Vamprye story commented that the game is suitable as a fully 2D game.

Speaking of 2D games. Full Throttle originally had two things in the game that would be changed. One was changed while the other was scrapped. There was supposed to be a hallucination scene that Ben would get from a cactus, but the idea was saved for an inspiration for Pyschonauts. And the ending was changed as well. The game's ending had Ben and Maureen having a relationship. But most of the people(Some of them) working on the game had problems with their relationships and it ended with Ben and Maureen going their separate ways.

• @Leplaya said: The game's ending had Ben and Maureen having a relationship. But most of the people(Some of them) working on the game had problems with their relationships and it ended with Ben and Maureen going their separate ways.

That's actually interesting, and something I hadn't heard before. I wonder how much game plots have changed mid-production based only on the personal lives of their creators.

Add Comment