23 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I...don't think it's an accurate comparison. Nor do I think it applies to why puzzlebox declined to play it.

• Roberta William's response to people complaining about combat being added to KQ, her comparisons;
    KQ3 was very dark, and it utilized lots of magic and magic spells with the basic idea of finding ingredients for "black magic" spells and then casting those spells. (Certain religious groups were upset with me over that one!) KQ1 certainly had violence. Sir Graham had a dagger and could kill the dragon (and it didn't get you "stuck," by the way, if you did so), and you could also kill the goat. It's true that I also had non-violent ways of dealing with those situations, but, that's because I chose to handle it that way for that particular game. I've gotten into trouble over the years for all the various ways that my main characters can "die." And they die a lot! I am known for changing course a lot, and changing my style a lot. I like change, and I like to keep people guessing. KQ7 felt very Disney-esque, and I felt like doing something different for KQ8 but yet, still keeping a "King's Quest" feel to the game. Each game in the King's Quest family has been different. Almost each time I do a new King's Quest, people get up in arms and say it's going to be "different" and won't feel right. Yet, each time, it DOES wind up feeling like King's Quest but each in its own way...and people just kind of KNOW that when they are playing it.

The full post in which she went off on the fans, to defend her vision in the old Sierra forums is posted in a previous post! She was not happy! She promised to post regulary, but after her fans basically starters calling for her 'head'. She pretty much avoided the MOE forums. It may very well be because her 'fans' and the occasional threats from the more crazy ones, that drove her more toward the private life, and limited interaction with the public!

The other game she had been known to get defensive over with the fans over was KQ7, as it was nearly universally critically panned (40% rating aggregate)! She claimed to have received alot of negative letters over it!

• BagginsKQ, I respect your opinion and all, but you are completely derailing this topic.
    It almost seems like "your way, or the highway".

This isn't a I hate/love KQ8 topic. This is a topic about a reviewer who shows why at least half of the KQ fanbase felt betrayed or dissapointed with MoE. Heck, he says it is a good game, just that it has almost nothing to do with KQ sans some minor cameo's.

• All I've done is point out the mixed views from the the critics (which there certainly is a division) and Roberta's own sometimes defensive answers to fan's complaints (judge her how you will)!

• In getting back to said original topic, I think Paw did a very good job of summing up why people didn't like MoE. Also I've very much enjoyed his KQ retrospective series in general, and I can't wait for the next section on the KQ Legacy, especially being part of the TSL team :)

• @KatieHal said: In getting back to said original topic, I think Paw did a very good job of summing up why people didn't like MoE. Also I've very much enjoyed his KQ retrospective series in general, and I can't wait for the next section on the KQ Legacy, especially being part of the TSL team :)

I suppose he will review TSL once episode 4 is out, with the remakes most likely in his upcoming review.
    ANy hint when TSL ep 4 is? /wink

• Not quite, but keep your eyes & ears peeled ;)

I can imagine the next one (for Paw's series) might take a bit--there are a good number of fangames to play! KQ1 remake, KQ2+, KQ3R, IA's KQ3, TSL...plus some other things that will fall under the 'legacy' topic!

• I'm just saying, if you don't like a particular genre you can know ahead of time that you won't enjoy it.

• I played MOE recently - bought it off GoG. I hated it. Didn't matter if it had the KQ title or not, I thought it was a steaming pile of Meercat dung. It sucked. It was just a game that left me seriously wanting. Some games just suck.

Bt

• Appealing to authority is a flawed form of debate.

Add Comment