23 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • All I've done is point out the mixed views from the the critics (which there certainly is a division) and Roberta's own sometimes defensive answers to fan's complaints (judge her how you will)!

• In getting back to said original topic, I think Paw did a very good job of summing up why people didn't like MoE. Also I've very much enjoyed his KQ retrospective series in general, and I can't wait for the next section on the KQ Legacy, especially being part of the TSL team :)

• @KatieHal said: In getting back to said original topic, I think Paw did a very good job of summing up why people didn't like MoE. Also I've very much enjoyed his KQ retrospective series in general, and I can't wait for the next section on the KQ Legacy, especially being part of the TSL team :)

I suppose he will review TSL once episode 4 is out, with the remakes most likely in his upcoming review.
    ANy hint when TSL ep 4 is? /wink

• Not quite, but keep your eyes & ears peeled ;)

I can imagine the next one (for Paw's series) might take a bit--there are a good number of fangames to play! KQ1 remake, KQ2+, KQ3R, IA's KQ3, TSL...plus some other things that will fall under the 'legacy' topic!

• I'm just saying, if you don't like a particular genre you can know ahead of time that you won't enjoy it.

• I played MOE recently - bought it off GoG. I hated it. Didn't matter if it had the KQ title or not, I thought it was a steaming pile of Meercat dung. It sucked. It was just a game that left me seriously wanting. Some games just suck.

Bt

• Appealing to authority is a flawed form of debate.

• Actually it depends on what type of 'authority' one appeals to, and the way the 'authority' is being appealed to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority

It depends on

1. if the authority being appealed to is an 'appropriate/legitmate' expert on the subject or not.

2. If there is a consensus among legitimate 'authorities/experts' on the subject.

Is "Paws" a 'legitimate expert? ...and is there a consensus among 'legitimate experts"? Who knows!

I would argue there never was any consensus since this game has been loved and loathed by the so-called 'experts' (game critics)! ...and fans alike! Most may have been more positive about it, but many weren't. There is no consensus!

• And there MUST be a CONSENSUS! Lord knows the sheeple can't play a game and make up their own mind! They must be TOLD what to do!

Bt

• @BagginsKQ said: Actually it depends on what type of 'authority' one appeals to, and the way the 'authority' is being appealed to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority

It depends on

1. if the authority being appealed to is an 'appropriate/legitmate' expert on the subject or not.

2. If there is a consensus among legitimate 'authorities/experts' on the subject.

Is "Paw" a 'legitimate expert? ...and is there a consensus among 'legitimate experts"? Who knows!

@BagginsKQ said: And there MUST be a CONSENSUS! Lord knows the sheeple can't play a game and make up their own mind! They must be TOLD what to do!

Actually, sometimes acclaim/scorn from critics in general can be misleading. I can say first hand that I've seen movies, which were highly praised by critics, that I simply loathed. Also, there are movies that critics complain at length about that I find I truly enjoy watching.

Further, not all critics can even agree and it's sometimes hard to know who has legitimate concern and who is just nitpicking for the sake of it.

I'll give examples:

[LIST]
    [*]No Country for Old Men. I hated this movie. Boring, boring, boring... ugh, don't get me started. It won academy awards, which was a reason why my dad and I chose to watch it (as opposed to something else) when we went to the theater, but boy were we ever sorry for doing so.
    [*]Roland Emmerich movies. They're "popcorn movies", and I find I enjoy most (though not all) of them rather a lot, so long as my suspension of disbelief is firmly intact.
    [*]Final Fantasy XII. Gamespot liked it; GameTrailers hated it. Sure, it's different in various ways to past FF installments, but I liked it quite a lot.
    [*]Final Fantasy X. It gained critical praise throughout, but I hate it for any and all reasons already given by Spoony.
    [/LIST]

Certainly, there's something to be said for taking critics' views into account when choosing what to watch/play, but often you really do need to take such opinions with a grain of salt.

EDIT: this being said, I enjoy Paw's entire retrospective on the KQ series, and I heartily agree with his assessment of MoE.

Add Comment