User Avatar Image

Ubisoft Breaks Steam's TOS With From Dust DRM; Valve Offers Refunds

posted by MusicallyInspired on - last edited - Viewed by 995 users

[quote]
"Ubisoft Breaks Steam's ToS With From Dust DRM; Valve Offers Refunds"

Author: William Usher
published: 2011-08-18 18:27:44

Big publishers never cease to amaze me how far they will go to screw gamers over for a quick buck, even at the expense of business integrity and consumer trust. Well, Ubisoft proves they’re no less evil than Activision or EA by breaking Steam’s terms of service agreement and forcing DRM into the PC version of From Dust after they said they wouldn’t.

It seems like lately publishers have been proving time and time over again that maybe Valve and the Steam powered digital distribution service really are the champions of the people.

In an article on Rock, Paper, Shotgun, Ubisoft has changed their tuned about only requiring gamers to log-in once via a standard issue DRM security measure for their recent god-game, From Dust. Supposedly, after the one-time log-in gamers would be free to use the game from then on without requiring to be online to play the single-player game. Unfortunately, that’s not true anymore. Ubisoft has changed their tune and you will now always be required to be online each and every time you plan to log-in and play the game.

According to Lo-Ping, Valve is offering refunds to anyone who purchased the game. You’ll have to hop through a few loops and sign a ticket but I think the hassle would be well worth it in this case.

Take note that Ubisoft recently announced that they would be scaling back on the DRM for Driver San Francisco, which is a little scary because the same thing they said that wouldn't be included in From Dust WAS in fact included in From Dust in a backdoor manner. Does this mean that gamers can potentially expect the same fate from Driver San Francisco when it launches for PC in late September? If Ubisoft lied once about their inclusion of DRM I don't see why they wouldn't lie about it again.

Without a shadow of a doubt I’m now convinced that Valve removing those EA games from the Steam service and preventing the likes of Battlefield 3 from appearing on the service due to a breach in terms of service was actually for the betterment of the PC gaming community.

Time and time over it looks like one of the few e-tailers out there with consumers' interest in mind is Steam, and despite some people not being entirely fond of the service, you at least have to tip your hat off to them for not screwing gamers over and for looking out for gamer interests when it comes to software purchases.

Sadly, I doubt Activision, EA or Ubisoft will alter their ways to become more consumer friendly and it probably means we won’t be seeing a lot of PC ports appear on Steam in the future for the same reasons listed above.

You can get the full low-down on Ubisoft’s underhanded tactics over at Rock, Paper, Shotgun. And I’ll go ahead and say it for the readers…Ubisoft, that was a real douche-bag move right there. [/quote]

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Ubisoft-Breaks-Steam-ToS-With-From-Dust-DRM-Valve-Offers-Refunds-34397.html

EDIT: Apparently people on reddit are saying that they are NOT offering refunds, but that Ubisoft is asking customers to go directly to them instead.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/jnefp/valve_is_not_honoring_refund_requests_for_the/

88 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @ShaggE said:
    On the other hand, you'll have a bunch of Telltale fans pirating the game just so that they could meet the staff, head trauma or no.

With a good, sturdy peice of headware, and maybe some light body armour, you could probably take a few hits from a board with only a mild discomfort.

Plus knowing some fans, this could all end in "Misery"

• @Amy Lukima said: Just wait until you see our new DRM. If you pirate the game I come to your house house and hit you with a board.

@Amy Lukima said: Fixed for you, Amy.

I dunno, I like Amy's version better. Except instead of a board, make it a bat with rusty nails sticking out of it. Or better yet, a morning star!

• User Avatar Image
    divisionten Moderator

What about a rat-flail?

• @divisionten said: What about a rat-flail?

Grue flails are supposedly the best kind if the DnD tags are to be believed.

• @Chyron8472 said: You don't have to be online to play Steam games. You only have to be online to access the Steam community. If you set Steam to "offline," it won't require you to be online to play games.

Oidtl.png

You do have to login once a month or all your games wont load.
    I used to like STEAM, but now I'm not so fond of it. The new STEAM UI sucks. It eats up massive ammounts of resources for a bunch of useless and flashy features. On my old desktop I went from running most of my games at 45 FPS to 10 FPS simply because of the new STEAM UI. Now I try to avoid getting games on steam simply because it eats up a lot of resources.

• @Elvenmonk said: You do have to login once a month or all your games wont load.
    I used to like STEAM, but now I'm not so fond of it. The new STEAM UI sucks. It eats up massive ammounts of resources for a bunch of useless and flashy features. On my old desktop I went from running most of my games at 45 FPS to 10 FPS simply because of the new STEAM UI. Now I try to avoid getting games on steam simply because it eats up a lot of resources.

If that were the case for me, I would buy games from Steam and then crack the executable so the UI didn't load when the game starts. Morally grey that may be, but having bought the game legitimately, I would feel justified in getting the game to work properly.

That is to say that if I ever do buy a Ubisoft game that requires persistent internet (like From Dust or Assassin's Creed 2), I would crack it right away. This, of course, is on principle really. I mean really--what would a person do if they lived out in the sticks like my in-laws do and couldn't get good bandwidth to save their lives even if they had internet (which my in-laws currently do not)?

The Steam UI, however, doesn't bother me.

• @Elvenmonk said: You do have to login once a month or all your games wont load.

Do you run games on a toaster? Steam certainly is not a resource hog, and this is from someone who despises Firefox because of it's huge resource hogness.

• @Chyron8472 said: If that were the case for me, I would buy games from Steam and then crack the executable so the UI didn't load when the game starts. Morally grey that may be, but having bought the game legitimately, I would feel justified in getting the game to work properly.

That is to say that if I ever do buy a Ubisoft game that requires persistent internet (like From Dust or Assassin's Creed 2), I would crack it right away. This, of course, is on principle really. I mean really--what would a person do if they lived out in the sticks like my in-laws do and couldn't get good bandwidth to save their lives even if they had internet (which my in-laws currently do not)?
    doiThe Steam UI, however, doesn't bother me.

The STEAM UI looks ugly to me, personally. Also doing such modifications, if caught, would be enough to get me kicked out of my school as I had to sign an outrageously strict contract to be a CSE major. So not an option.

@Ribs - Origin uses less resources then STEAM. STEAM uses about 256MB(sometimes more) RAM when being idle and then when you load game you have to have all the game overlay UI and all those extra annoying crap running in the background further increasing the RAM usage. Randomly for me aswell STEAM will eat up upwards to 512 MB RAM when idling. Which when running a game that needs 3-4 GB RAM to it's self adds up. Then add in MP aswell it gets super annoying and to be a resource hog.
    Hell for my fiance when she runs STEAM it'll crash her comp after being on for 45 minutes. So much that it crashes her computer due to so much memory being used. This is without her even running a game. She has a decent laptop. It's able to run BadCompany 2 at about 20-30 FPS. But to run STEAM at all for 45 minutes with it idling it crashes her comp.

• idk where your problems are coming from with hogging resources. Even my old laptop has no problems with Steam.

• Uhhhh Steam is using up 17 mb in my 8 GB RAM right now.

Add Comment