User Avatar Image

Leisure Suit Larry

posted by MusicallyInspired on - last edited - Viewed by 511 users

@tbm1986 said: They even tested the water with Leisure Suit Larry, which they must have picked up on by seeing posts by me and one or two others that lurk on the forums. I don't think we'll ever see a LSL game made by TTG (1) because the demand is too low and 2) getting Sierra to lease out any IPs must take some doing) but that doesn't stop me hoping I'm wrong.

1- Sierra doesn't exist anymore, the IPs of the defunct company and retired brand are now owned by ActiVision
2- ActiVision doesn't own the IP for Leisure Suit Larry anymore. They sold it to CodeMasters.

59 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Telltale didn't make Hector, Straandlooper did. They only ported it to their engine for cross-platform play.

• @MusicallyInspired said: Telltale didn't make Hector, Straandlooper did. They only ported it to their engine for cross-platform play.

Are you totally sure of that? The impression I got was Straandlooper only did the one episode on their own and that this episode and Beyond Reasonable Doom are a collaborative effort. According to the Wiki, it's completely Telltale now, but I reckon they fund it, write it and build it, and that stuff like music and voice acting is still sourced from Britain. Where else would Telltale find all those subtly different UK accents? Straandlooper certainly aren't doing it on their own. It's no longer the indie game where every character is voiced by one person, it feels more expensive.

Can anyone from Telltale (Alan, maybe? I saw you were on earlier today, despite being very tired from PAX) shed any light on this?

• @tbm1986 said: Are you totally sure of that? The impression I got was Straandlooper only did the one episode on their own and that this episode and Beyond Reasonable Doom are a collaborative effort. According to the Wiki, it's completely Telltale now, but I reckon they fund it, write it and build it, and that stuff like music and voice acting is still sourced from Britain. Where else would Telltale find all those subtly different UK accents? Straandlooper certainly aren't doing it on their own. It's no longer the indie game where every character is voiced by one person, it feels more expensive.

Can anyone from Telltale (Alan, maybe? I saw you were on earlier today, despite being very tired from PAX) shed any light on this?

What makes you think it's being made by Telltale? The art's the same, the animation is the same quality, the humor's exactly the same. Not to mention that according to the credits there are a grand total of two voice actors.

• @Scnew said: Not to mention that according to the credits there are a grand total of two voice actors.

Wow, I hadn't realized they had doubled the cast!

• @Scnew said: What makes you think it's being made by Telltale? The art's the same, the animation is the same quality, the humor's exactly the same. Not to mention that according to the credits there are a grand total of two voice actors.

The storytelling seems more Telltale-y and the humour has improved a bit. I've already mentioned that the game feels like more resources have gone into it.

That's interesting about the two voice actors. Thought there was more than one real woman.

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

The Hector episode 2 credits say "Developed & Produced by Straandlooper ... Published by Telltale Games". Looks like the main writing and design is by Straandlooper ("Written & Designed by Dean Burke, Kevin Beimers"), but there is also a Design/Script Editing credit for Mark Darin and Dave Grossman.

So my layperson's guess would be that Telltale had some degree of creative input, but it's still very much Straandlooper's baby.

• @puzzlebox said: The Hector episode 2 credits say "Developed & Produced by Straandlooper ... Published by Telltale Games". Looks like the main writing and design is by Straandlooper ("Written & Designed by Dean Burke, Kevin Beimers"), but there is also a Design/Script Editing credit for Mark Darin and Dave Grossman.

So my layperson's guess would be that Telltale had some degree of creative input, but it's still very much Straandlooper's baby.

That'd explain how I could feel Telltale's storywriting and dialogue coming through. The rest you've said makes sense.

My guess still stands that without TTG, the series would have finished at Episode 1.

• Doesn't matter. Telltale stands behind it.
    You can also say that Sierra didn't make Leisure Suit Larry, Al Lowe made it, and Sierra only published it.

As long as Telltale sells the game, publish it in their website and stands behind it, it feels like some part of the whole thing is checking to see whether the costumers are interested, and maybe preparing for a game of the same standards.

Leisure Suit Larry for example. ;)

• There's a big difference. Al Lowe worked for Sierra, Straandlooper doesn't work for Telltale.

• @tbm1986 said: That'd explain how I could feel Telltale's storywriting and dialogue coming through. The rest you've said makes sense.

My guess still stands that without TTG, the series would have finished at Episode 1.

I think that's mostly in your head. I don't really feel there's a noticeable difference in the writing style or design of Hector 1 and 2, besides maybe it was a little easier.

Add Comment