User Avatar Image

Which games are you currently playing?

posted by patters on - last edited - Viewed by 25.8K users

basically name a game or more that you are currently playing (or have been recently) and say what you think of it.

Prince of Persia (newest): It is OK, not as good as the last 3, the removal of death as a deterrent is irritating, I wish they had not done it, it seems like a way to appeal to "casuals". I think the combat is dry and repetitive also.

Smash Bros:brawl: Overall an excellent game, however a lot of the mechanics from melee worked better in my opinion

Halo Wars: the best RTS I have played on a console, over simplified compared to PC ones, although that is to be expected. It is a pity Ensemble don't exist anymore

3.6K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @jeeno0142 said: :eek: I have a certain rule I always stick to. No cheats are to be used on the first playthrough, even if they are cruelly hard! (Unless there's a game breaking bug that can only be passed by a cheat). After that I feel I can cheat away should the fancy take me.

Totally agree nowadays, although I do make exceptions for games that just aren't fun enough for me to give a shit, or for times when a save file has left me in an unwinnable position and I'd have to go back an hour or two to rectify things.

• Ceville. Had it on Steam for a while, so though 'what the hell'. It's a nice idea, but the translations a bit iffy in places and the animations on the little girl (to be specific, the way she moves her arms as she walks) are very annoying. But it's not a bad little game.

• Okay. Do not kill the Jester in Ultima.

EDIT: So from what I see, you need to kill the Jester to get the key to save the princess.
    However, the guards are very, very tough.

Found a cave and have been exploring it a bit.

Need to draw a map methinks.

Interesting thing to note about this game is that killing enemies then exiting dungeons gives you health.
    Also health can be bought from kings.

EDIT 2: Took a quick look at the guide. I think I got this game mostly figured out now.
    I might even be able to beat it tomorrow. :)

• Left 4 Dead games with my cousin(we fail so bad, it makes us want to play more:D)

and Bullet Storm single player.
    When did EA start doing that "must buy a code if you got the game used(or rental in my case) for online purposes" thing on the 360? Im fine with it, since I dont have gold or anything to even play multiplayer, but I thought it was a PS3 only thing?

• @Gman5852 said: When did EA start doing that "must buy a code if you got the game used(or rental in my case) for online purposes" thing on the 360? Im fine with it, since I dont have gold or anything to even play multiplayer, but I thought it was a PS3 only thing?

Last year I think, starting with their various sport games that came out then. From personal experience I know FIFA 11 & NHL 11 both came with codes to unlock online playability and if you didn't have a code you have to pay extra. The bastards.

• @RetroVortex said: Been playing Ocarina of Time 3D some more today.

I just started as Adult Link, and I decided to explore a bit.

I got the Hookshot from the graveyard, winning Epona, accidentally ended up in Gerudo Valley, (did the freeing the carpenters bit while I was there), and finally made it to the forest temple.

Haven't got far into it though...

That's where I'm up to. I find this game difficult actually, not exactly the game itself but all together, it's hard to be invested in it when a) I never played the original and b) the small screen size makes it not feel very epic at all.

• I've been playing On the Rain-Slick Precipe of Darkness episode 1 lately. Got it with TTG's adventure bundle, but I didn't pick it up until recently, since I don't usually like RPGs. Since it was pretty straightforward gameplaywise and I liked the story, I haven't given up on it yet. Had to adjust the difficulty down from hard to normal since it's pretty hard to fight with a touch pad.

I'm also replaying The Dig for the first time in many years, using ScummVM on my HTC. The control scheme works a lot better than I thought it would, escpecially after having used ScummVM on a DS, where I found it a bit cumbersome.

• Magic: The Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers. Sean got me (and himself) the Steam deluxe version, which by the way does not actually include the DLC it says it does, so the $25 version has nothing more than the $10. Be aware if you're thinking of buying it, as all the purchasable content is also unlockable and I've unlocked a bunch of it already, so even if they fix the bug I'd be out some money, in my opinion.
    Well, not me, as I didn't pay. You know what I mean.

I got a promo code to get a free deck and one special card and there was a store in my city that did the promotion, so I took the coupon there and got my stuff. Two guys where just settling to play and asked if I was a player to and if I had brought my cards, to which I said I didn't have any yet.
    They started playing and I watched them play a couple of games, and got my free card and deck (I picked red, because I always pick red, despite the special card being a blue).
    After that, they asked if I wanted to join in, and I said sure. They had a bunch of extra decks and one of the guys lent me one that was actually completely new and he had never played with. They also lent me dice for the counters.

Games summary. Skip if not interested.
    So we played free-for-all and I lost the first game (one guy killed both of us at once) then for the second one guy (the one who didn't win the first game) got eliminated first, and then I won against the second one. I had 3 different cards that allowed me to gain health in various ways, on top of a card that allowed me to tap 2 to inflict 2 damage on any creature or player. By the time I won I had like 40 HP despite losing a bunch.
    At some point close to the end I tried attacking (up till that point I hadn't really attacked using my creatures) but then he used some cards to kill my most powerful cards (one of them got a +1/+1 every time I regained health. It was super strong by the time he used a card to destroy it) so I went back to just regaining 2 health per turn (one through a land, one though a card that allowed me to regain 1 health every maintenance phase) and dealing 4 damage per turn, and I won.
    What's more, he kept hoping and trying so I got to actually get him down to 0. I hate when people go "well, you've won" and the game stops, I feel like I didn't actually win when that happens.

End game summary. Tl;dr: I lost one game then won one.

While we were playing the first three-way game, a bunch more people arrived to play. I didn't get to play with any of them because by the time I was done the second game it was time for me to go home (I was originally just planning to pick up the deck and leave. I probably would have if I wasn't making a conscious effort to be more social of a person), but a few started a game next to us, and the guy who lost the second game first went to play at a different table while we were finishing up, and finished before us.

At this point I'm realising I don't know anyone's name that I played with. I didn't tell anyone my name either. Oops.
    I did ask if there were regularly scheduled games or something, to which they said not really, except for tournaments, it's kind of a "you show up during the day and hope other people will too". If I see the same people next time I drop by (I really enjoyed playing and want to do it again) then I'll try and remember to ask for their names, that will make it more practical in the future.

Thing is, I'm thinking I probably need to get some cards. The deck I got is unplayable, it has like 3 lands in it overall, it's obviously not meant to be played with. But I'm kind of broke. My brother however wanted to sell his old Magic cards (he played back in 93-95) and I'm thinking of contacting him to ask if he'll sell them to me, as it would end up much cheaper than getting them from the store.

Anyway, sorry for the wall of text. Really enjoying this game. Back in the 90s when both my older brothers were playing it, I was 8-10 and in the "if my brothers play it I don't wanna" phase so I never got into it... But it's a pretty neat game, I can see while it's still around after nearly 20 years.

Any other players around here, by the way? Maybe we could start a Magic thread. (If there is one already.... then oops, sorry guys for derailing this one :p)

• Rock of Ages demo on XBLA.

GOD I WANT THIS GAME SOO BAAADDD!!!!

Even the demo is fantastic!!

I definately have to get the game on both Xbox 360 and PC.

I could get the 360 version now, (but not sure if I even have £5 left in my bank account), but I get paid on Friday so I should wait till then.

But its so good! Its driving me bonkers!!

EDIT: Squee! I got 20520 on the first SkeeBoulder course.
    (Thats basically 3 6x multipliers there! :D
    Love it!)

Add Comment