User Avatar Image

Leisure Suit Larry

posted by MusicallyInspired on - last edited - Viewed by 1.1K users

@tbm1986 said: They even tested the water with Leisure Suit Larry, which they must have picked up on by seeing posts by me and one or two others that lurk on the forums. I don't think we'll ever see a LSL game made by TTG (1) because the demand is too low and 2) getting Sierra to lease out any IPs must take some doing) but that doesn't stop me hoping I'm wrong.

1- Sierra doesn't exist anymore, the IPs of the defunct company and retired brand are now owned by ActiVision
2- ActiVision doesn't own the IP for Leisure Suit Larry anymore. They sold it to CodeMasters.

59 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @tbm1986 said: That'd explain how I could feel Telltale's storywriting and dialogue coming through. The rest you've said makes sense.

My guess still stands that without TTG, the series would have finished at Episode 1.

I think that's mostly in your head. I don't really feel there's a noticeable difference in the writing style or design of Hector 1 and 2, besides maybe it was a little easier.

• @MusicallyInspired said: There's a big difference. Al Lowe worked for Sierra, Straandlooper doesn't work for Telltale.

Not only that but, as Al Lowe said himself, Sierra always owned the copyrighted material. As far as I'm aware, the Hector game still 100% belongs to Straandlooper.

• @Scnew said: I think that's mostly in your head. I don't really feel there's a noticeable difference in the writing style or design of Hector 1 and 2, besides maybe it was a little easier.

I suggest you look at Ignatius' post. Clearly I'm not the only one.

• I emailed the replay games about whether the Leisure suit larry would come onto the iphone and here was his response:
    --------------------------------------------
    Hi there Amit,

Unfortunately Codemasters did not give us the rights for iPhone/iTouch or any Android "phone" but we do have the rights for tablet based devices. I cannot tell you what our business plan is since we haven't announced it yet, but you will be pretty excited once we announce what we plan on doing with Leisure Suit Larry and his creator, Al Lowe.

Have a nice day!!

-Paul

• @Wolfstar27 said: I emailed the replay games about whether the Leisure suit larry would come onto the iphone and here was his response:
    --------------------------------------------
    Hi there Amit,

Unfortunately Codemasters did not give us the rights for iPhone/iTouch or any Android "phone" but we do have the rights for tablet based devices. I cannot tell you what our business plan is since we haven't announced it yet, but you will be pretty excited once we announce what we plan on doing with Leisure Suit Larry and his creator, Al Lowe.

Have a nice day!!

-Paul

Woha! Sounds promising!
    But I can't believe the copyrights to Larry are still stuck somewhere!
    Why do these game companies guard them so hard?!

When will the copyrights expire and go back to Al Lowe by time?

• I'm no expert on copyright, but I'm pretty sure LSL will be public domain when the copyrights expire, so they'll never go back to Al Lowe.

• They'd be public domain, but you know whoever owns the rights will renew them forever. Nothing makes it to public domain anymore.

• You know, I just realized this thread shows that it was created by me when in fact it was not. It was split from another thread. Yet nobody remembers the thread in question and so forever from now on people will assume I started this thread when I did not. I don't even like LSL lol.

• So the rights to Larry are in jeopardy again, phooie.

• @MusicallyInspired said: Yeah, I've known people who aren't even gamers that know who Leisure Suit Larry is.

That would include one of my younger brothers who never plays video games at all, except some Tetris on FB recently... he knows very well what Larry is, after actually ... having a really good time, let's say... while checking out MY new copy (well, new way back then) of LSL7 and managing to scratch it up in the process :mad::p
    Got another one though, but glad I don't live with all of them anymore :D

Add Comment