Menu
User Avatar Image

Whoa! Hold on! On-line activation? Internet Explorer ONLY?

posted by Anonymous on - last edited - Viewed by 1.2K users

Okay, guys, I have a real problem with this one.

Exactly *what* kind of "activation" method is being used here? What if (God forbid and I hope that this does not happen) TTG goes belly up, assets get sold, and I try to reinstall the game? Seems to me like I would not be able to activate it because there is no "phone home" server available anymore. In that case I paid for something that I can no longer use but legally have a right to use.

It's bad enough that I'm being forced to use a browser that I refuse to use, but I have a deep hatred for any activation method that "phones home" and/or has the potential for preventing me from using the product at any time in the future.

Would someone from TTG kindly elaborate on this "activation" mechanism and what the customers' rights are after activation? Does the product "phone home" at any other time, such as product usage or checking up on the activation? Is "Bone" expected to have a similar authentication mechanism?

(Before anyone gets all high-and-mighty on me, I've been a UNIX and Windows system admin for over 10 years. Data security, data integrity, application availability, and customer privacy is in my blood, whether for the home or for business. Deal with it. :p )

29 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]Somehow I don't think gaming on a UPS truck's computer will ever enter any developer/publisher's mind.[/quote]Smart a**. :)

• Yep! :D

I still agree with you on several of your points though. I'm just poking a little fun.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Sorry Pennstat. But I was more talking about why they would have choosen internet explorer over other browsers. Anyway, why don't you like internet explorer?

"assuming that you'll always be in business to allow people to authenticate is a BAD assumption"

I don't think they assumed anything. They just have no other way of getting their games out.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Hopefully Telltale will find themselves a publisher. That seems like the only way these problems will go away (except for the IE thing, they can hopefully change that either way.)

• User Avatar Image
    Kevin Telltale Staff

Here's the deal....

The game can always be played (in demo or full mode) without an internet connection. The only time any internet connection is required is when the game is purchased.

We need to use Explorer for the time being because we need ActiveX. We're working on a Java solution, but it's not ready yet. We're not happy about this either.

Should we go out of business (thanks for the vote of confidence!), a patched version of the game will be made available to registered owners.

Hope that clears things up.

• I don't think anyone would think you guys would go out of business anytime soon but there are plenty of companies out there that have bit the dust. People are just naturally paranoid when it comes to stuff they spend their hard earned cash on.

speaking of demo.... we going to see a bone demo anytime soon?

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]Hopefully Telltale will find themselves a publisher.[/quote]
    I know a publisher! They used to develop adventure games but they are know essentially distributing third party games, mainly about some oscure giant space opera. Ooooops!

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]Hopefully Telltale will find themselves a publisher. That seems like the only way these problems will go away (except for the IE thing, they can hopefully change that either way.)[/quote] I can give you proof that having a publisher and requiring online activation are not mutually exclusive: HALF-LIFE 2. :(

[quote]We're not happy about this either.[/quote] The fact that you're not happy about it is comforting since as you said that means that you're working on alternatives.

[quote]Should we go out of business (thanks for the vote of confidence!)[/quote] Oh, now stop that. You're reading far too much into that one!

I'm just being a realist. You've got some great talent behind you, but an excellent string of games does not guarantee permanence. I'm forced to think of companies that were considered to be *the* best at video games in their day, like Epyx. (Am I showing my age with that one?) They died hard and fast.

I'm still likely going to buy Texas Hold 'Em despite my reservations in my initial post for the sole purpose of showing my support. I always like to support the newcomers that hold promise, and for the price you're offering no one has any excuse to not buy it.

Now, cheer up. You most certainly do have my vote of confidence.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]Here's the deal....

The game can always be played (in demo or full mode) without an internet connection. The only time any internet connection is required is when the game is purchased.[/quote] Bravo! [=D>] too bad not everyone has an internet connection so if they want the game they will have to go pirate [=D>] what a brilliant way to increase software piracy first valve then 3drealms and now you WHY? :((

• I don't think Bone will be released in stores.

Add Comment