649 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Star Wars is a classic trilogy. Lucas is destroying film history by changing everything in these movies which completely changes the mood and the style of which everyone loved for years and years which did just fine. I'm fine with them making all the changes they want. But the originals were good FOR A REASON. I just wish they'd bundle the original theatrical releases remastered colour/sound-wise but without anything removed or added along with it. We as fans who don't appreciate the changes shouldn't be stabbed in the back like this.

• @Chyron8472 said: I can't be the only one outraged by these changes...

The creator's doing what he wants with the movies he made. No one's forcing you to support them by purchasing them, but personally 'New Cuts' adds to my interest in it, as I love that kind of thing, especially for a film I've seen as many times as Star Wars.

• The outrage is that he DOESN'T PROVIDE THE ORIGINALS.

• Are you really outraged? XD...

Why do you care so much, just because his work goes to the economy that doesn't mean it's not personal to him or that he doesn't believe in it. He's always liked changing his work, it's just something he believes in, does.

If no one bought the blu rays, XD if everyone hated him, wait...XD

He'd still do it his way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fmj2k5TYKDg

It's like a tradition for him, it's his project, like any normal person does things out of tradition. He's a normal person almost...

He was successful, you loved his movies, he wants to change them, it's not that big of a deal. He's a regular human being and those are just movies. And I love them but my God, we're placing too much importance on all of this.

The man is old and senile he does whatever the hell he wants...

I know being a nerd is in and all but seriously you people should try to get past this. I love the movies as much as any one else, but they are just damn movies, it's insane that that much money goes into them to begin with, and this much bitching...honest to God, it's not a big deal if Lucas changes things, he's not destroying film history, XD. He's part of a film history, if any one wants to see Star Wars as it originally was they can find it.

I still don't understand I have original copies on DVD released by Lucas Arts, do people really not find these things?

And ALSO they were released with special edition copies....

If people want to go insane over nostalgia because they can't look 2 feet away for a original copy they are entitled to, but it's still psychotic.

• @MusicallyInspired said: The outrage is that he DOESN'T PROVIDE THE ORIGINALS.

So? It's not like they've been erased from time and impossible to access via older means.

• @Ribs said: He's making hte movie as he wants to. The original film is inferior in Lucas' eyes, so he seeks to improve it.

Also, no, it does not belong to the fans. George Lucas and Lucasfilm own Star Wars.

"A copyright is held in trust by its owner until it ultimately reverts to public domain. American works of art belong to the American public; they are part of our cultural history. In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas

The crux of the matter is not that he's making tweaks to the films. It's that he refuses to also provide the films in their original form alongside the "special editions." Look at Blade Runner or the remastered original Star Trek series. Both were tweaked and changed but there was no outcry because the original versions were released with them.

• The films in their original form still exist! There's no reason to rerelease them, as they're deemed inferior to the new cuts by the creator.

• So far Lucas HAS re-released original edits on updated media. That's a fact. XD

It's a true, real fact, a factual fact...

And George Lucas contradicts himself all the time, the man is many things, a hypocrite he does well. Facts of life Lucas updates his movies. Did you really just expect a original cut on Bluray or special special edition on Bluray?

I mean seriously, what did you expect? And again, he was upfront about it and again you can find copies of the original edits.

I'm going to bed.

• @doodo! said: So far Lucas HAS re-released original edits on updated media. That's a fact. XD

It's a true, real fact, a factual fact...

The media was updated but the transfers were not. They used laserdisc masters for that release. LASERDISC. They didn't even bother to make the films anamorphic, it had to be one of the worst dvd releases of the decade. And yet that's supposed to suffice for a release. That's deplorable.

Let's also point out that Lucas has also instituted a ban on screening the original theatrical versions of the films ANYWHERE. AFI wanted to do a salute to the film but were flat out denied copies of the theatrical versions to play. His company has also shut down and confiscated copies of the films when they've learned of small screenings. That is unacceptable especially coming from someone who claims to champion the cause of film preservation.

Add Comment