649 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Ribs said: I do care about Star Wars. I love Star Wars. However, I respect the filmmaker's opinion if he thinks things need to be changed and therefore any new cuts are superior.

But they're not superior.

• Guys, since this didn't work the way Icedhope tried it, I'm going to rephrase.

Calm the fuck down.

• @doodo! said: If you want to watch Star Wars old school make a VCD or something. I'm sure the technology to make Blu rays from VHS and that sort of thing is out there....

Getting 1080p HD quality picture from old degraded low-res video recorded on magnetic tape. Yeah. Good luck with that.

• @Chyron8472 said: But they're not superior.

The filmmaker's opinion is the one that matters. If you disagree, that's too bad, but I'd agree with the filmmaker's vision.

• @Ribs said: The filmmaker's opinion is the one that matters. If you disagree, that's too bad, but I'd agree with the filmmaker's vision.

You suggest that George Lucas is infallible and that any decision he makes is warranted--even necessary, no matter how far removed from the feel of the original work.

• Look. Whether we agree with the Blu-Ray changes or not, can we all agree to one thing? That this is awesome.

• @Chyron8472 said: You suggest that George Lucas is infallible and that any decision he makes is warranted--even necessary, no matter how far removed from the feel of the original work.

Yes. He made the first two movies, wrote all of them, and owns the rights to them. Anything he says is superior should therefore be the definitive version, and they shouldn't bother with re-releasing the existing cuts.

• @Ribs said: Yes. He made the first two movies, wrote all of them, and owns the rights to them. Anything he says is superior should therefore be the definitive version, and they shouldn't bother with re-releasing the existing cuts.

So if he replaces Chewy with a Tribble, puts a mickey mouse hat on Luke's head and replaces Billy Dee Williams' lines with voiceover work by Gilbert Gottfried and calls it definitive, you'd have no problem with it?

• @Chyron8472 said: So if he replaces Chewy with a Tribble, puts a mickey mouse hat on Luke's head and replaces Billy Dee Williams' lines with voiceover work by Gilbert Gottfried and calls it definitive, you'd have no problem with it?

Yes. It's his film, and I won't disagree with the filmmaker.

• In theory I agree with Ribs, especially since I do get frustrated when fans of a work think they have more right to a work than the creator.

Not saying I always agree with the creator but it is their product.

Add Comment