User Avatar Image

Roberta Williams/Josh Mandel discussion

posted by tomst on - last edited - Viewed by 2.8K users

Congrats to the Telltale team for announcing the return of mid-30 year old males (and anyone else old enough to remember this series) to the world of computer gaming!

Can anyone from TT comment on Roberta Williams's involvement in terms of story & design, if such plans even exist?

237 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I'm surprised so many people don't really have faith that this could work. Look what they have done with sam and max and monkey island. AMAZING games. It could be quite different... but so what? At least we are getting another Kings Quest.

And even if Roberta Williams isn't part of the team, again... so? She was part of the Mask of Eternity team and look how horrific that game is. I imagine the team behind the new Telltale Games are huge fans of the series and know the games well. They will do a good job (a better job than MOE at least) and if its different, so be it, it could breathe new life into the series :)

• While I'll respectively disagree that KQ8 is 'horrific'.

Infact, Roberta is behind why MOE is so different. If she didn't have any problems with outside forces (trying to censor the game and remove combat and violence, etc), it would have had even more combat and boss fights. It would have been 3-d and had combat regardless.

• Sam & Max and Monkey Island were very different kinds of adventure games. They only did well because they both had people who had worked on the originals working on these new titles. Also, neither of them are Sierra adventures. Very different breeds.

And Mask of Eternity is not "horrific".

• @Jon NA said: Roberta's working on a facebook game?
    http://www.gamezebo.com/news/2011/08/14/legendary-kings-quest-designer-roberta-williams-working-facebooks-odd-manor

What that article leaves out is the game is from her son's new company. I think she's just helping to give them a little boost with her name. :)

• Huh ... That explains it!
    But still, I guess from KQ fans' point of view It's a shame she doesn't want to get out of retirment to work with Telltale briefly like she does with her son's company ...

• @aaroncarney said: I'm surprised so many people don't really have faith that this could work. Look what they have done with sam and max and monkey island. .

There work has been downhill since Monkey Island so there's plenty of reason to be worried.

• @Jon NA said: Huh ... That explains it!
    But still, I guess from KQ fans' point of view It's a shame she doesn't want to get out of retirment to work with Telltale briefly like she does with her son's company ...

It's a bit different though. KQ is probably HER baby to her. I don't think Roberta would want to work on a KQ game unless she had total control over it or was the primary designer or at least had final authority over the game's content. Even on the KQ games that she was least involved in, she still approved the content, she still was the designer, the game was still basically HER's.

TellTale and probably very few other companies would give her that much power, so for her there's no reason to get really involved...For her it'd probably be a replay of the KQ8 situation, having to work on her baby with other people telling her how to work on it, which apparently stressed her out so much that she started crying one day in her bed (according to a book which talks about KQ8's development). I think KQ8's development and watching the death of Sierra traumatized her and left her not wanting to be in any situation like it again.

A game like her son's is different. It's a new thing that's not her baby, she probably has little personal emotional investment and memories attached to it, it's quite a different ballgame. It doesn't come with the baggage that working on a King's Quest game would for her.

• That's a good point. All we know is that Telltale talked to her and she declined. We don't really know the reasons why.

I don't think either Roberta or Ken did one ounce of design on their son's game. They're just advertising it for the PR. Their names do go a long way in certain niches.

• @MusicallyInspired said: That's a good point. All we know is that Telltale talked to her and she declined. We don't really know the reasons why.

I don't think either Roberta or Ken did one ounce of design on their sons game. They're just advertising it for the PR. Their names do go a long way in certain niches.

Given all they contributed to the industry, their names should go a lot farther. Sierra is generally forgotten or unknown by the average modern gamer and that's a shame because they innovated quite a lot beyond the adventure genre and were in their day one of the biggest power players in the entire industry. I mean a late 90s piece on Sierra named only Microsoft and EA as Sierra's main competitors. That's how important they were.

I read that in 1996, Sierra's games altogether made up a majority of PC game sales, not just in the adventure genre. They were huge and you'd think even if the modern GAMER doesn't know of them, that at least some modern designers/creators outside of the adventure community would be inspired by their legacy.

I mean id Software considered Sierra a big influence; The founders of id grew up playing tons of Sierra games...Where's the other modern industry recognition?

Add Comment