User Avatar Image

KQ6: Overrated?

posted by Anakin Skywalker on - last edited - Viewed by 5.0K users

I know I'm committing blasphemy in the eyes of many KQ die hards by saying this, but am I alone in feeling that KQ6 is overrated? KQ6 kind of reminds me of TSL--It's a little too dark, it's dialogue is a little too formal and clinical (it's a bit too wordy and not to the point as the previous games), it strives--and goes overboard--in trying to get a mature, "epic" feel. It loses that fun, bright, mindless, lighthearted fairy tale feel which characterized the previous games, especially KQV (which is IMO the pinnacle of the series in many ways).

It's kind of like KQ meets GK (a series I've personally never cared for) in some ways with it's story of political intrigue, a dark murderous plot, and a secret society. It takes things into an adult sort of direction--As in, more catered to adults rather than the whole family as the previous games were.

That's not to say it doesn't have it's light moments--of course it does. But the lighthearted moments don't feel nearly as innocent or as natural as in KQV or KQVII--They feel almost kind of forced.

I actually find KQVII to be a better KQ sequel than VI. KQ7 to me is like Roberta meets Don Bluth--which IMO is a good mix.

I'll put it this way: KQVI opened the door to TSL. That makes it bad enough:p

268 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Notice what Telltale describes it on the Itunes store;
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/puzzle-agent-2/id444526639?mt=8

CREEPY PUZZLE ADVENTURE WITH MYSTERY & DARK HUMOR!
    Agent Nelson Tethers just solved the biggest case of his career. So why isn't he satisfied? There’s still the case of a missing eraser factory foreman, a whispering madness is still creeping from mind to mind, and a troubling recurrence of... creatures... is lurking into the town.

They probably chose this description for the market. As that 'genre' is very popular in the apple market (there used to be many on the Macs even), espescially on 'smart phones'.

In the same advertisement, Telltale markets many of their other games as 'adventures'.

http://www.professorlaytonds.com/#/gallery/videos/
    Also notice that nintendo markets the Layton games as 'puzzle adventures' as well.

Speaking of 'genre definitions' with unclear boundaries, another one is the 'action-adventure'. Which is often defined as "...a video game that combines elements of the adventure game genre with various action game elements."

• @BagginsKQ said: Notice what Telltale describes it on the Itunes store;
    Also notice that nintendo markets the Layton games as 'puzzle adventures' as well.

See what I mean, DAISHI? I've run out of ways to say that individual examples of a game being classified, or marketed, as this or that don't demonstrate anything except that the categories are imperfect, and still they come.

Baggins, Air Penguin -- "Jump, fly and dodge through Antarctica" -- is a "Top 5 Adventure Game in 40 countries". The most high-profile adventure-like game -- I would say it's unmistakably an adventure game -- developed specifically for iOS devices, 1112, is actually classified as "Role-Playing" on the App Store.

I've given my criteria for why I don't believe Puzzle Agent is an adventure game, and there are enough gaming websites that classify it as "Puzzle Game" to suggest my conclusion is hardly unique. You don't have to agree with it, but nothing you've cited -- no reference or example you could cite -- disproves it.

• Baggins, Air Penguin -- "Jump, fly and dodge through Antarctica" -- is a "Top 5 Adventure Game in 40 countries". The most high-profile adventure-like game -- I would say it's unmistakably an adventure game -- developed specifically for iOS devices, 1112, is actually classified as "Role-Playing" on the App Store.

Actually reading that link, the Air Penguin description from the company described it as an 'adventure game'. Never played it so I don't know! Judging by screenshots looks more like an arcade-platformer to me...

Likewise the description for Puzzle Agent by Telltale describes it as a "Puzzle Adventure" (and compares it to the likes of BTTF, Hector, Tales of MI, Sam n Max, etc).

I think the store itself categorizes under puzzle and/or adventure.

Anyone ever notice how the Zelda games often got classified as "role-playing" in game review magazines? When most fans would describe it as an action-adventure? But it still doesn't help that by common definition action-adventure is a combination of the adventure game genre with action elements (so it is a dilluted and hard to define genre as well).

I've given my criteria for why I don't believe Puzzle Agent is an adventure game, and there are enough gaming websites that classify it as "Puzzle Game" to suggest my conclusion is hardly unique. You don't have to agree with it, but nothing you've cited -- no reference or example you could cite -- disproves it.

Equally I can pick and choose a dozen websites, and reviews that call it an adventure game! Just Adventure, a well reknowned adventure webspite for example has at least two reviews that argue opposing views on it if it is an adventure or just a puzzle game!

http://www.justadventure.com/reviews/PuzzleAgent2/PA2.shtm

Nintendo often marketed Zelda as 'adventure games' (others marketed them as action-adventures or RPGs). This partly had to due that early action-adventures evolved out of the 'adventure game' market... Nintendo later caught on to calling them action-adventures IIRC.

The problem is even when 'adventures' were popular back in the 1980-1990's the definition was dilluted due to fact so many companies and developers tried to define what an 'adventure' was in their own ways. There was a purely console game definition for 'adventure', and there was a more pc-oriented definition as well. Infact, early on text-adventure companies generally classified their games as "Interactive fiction (IF)"!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interactive_fiction

Both Castle and Dr. Brain and Island of Dr. Brain for example was marketed as a 'puzzle-adventure game' as well (long before Myst came out), and simply adventures back when they were made (in 1991/1992). They actually have the most common with newer Layton, and Puzzle Agent than anything that came later!

• @BagginsKQ said: I think the store itself categorizes under puzzle and/or adventure.

The store doesn't really give the genre on individual game pages. They appear when you choose the Games category on the front page, for those games that are listed there under things like "new and noteworthy" and "what's hot". Air Penguin is designated as "Adventure". Puzzle Agent is not currently on the front page, but the new Hector episode is classified as "Puzzle". The iOS App Store is the least reliable and least consistent game store/site/publication I know of when it comes to assigning genres. Air Penguin is not an anomaly -- all kinds of arcade games, platformers, even shooters and beat-em-ups get classified as "Adventure". This is something I noticed from the very first day the App Store opened.

@BagginsKQ said: Equally I can pick and choose a dozen websites, and reviews that call it an adventure game!

No kidding. I never suggested otherwise.

• I was never discussing what the app store categorizes things, but rather the developer description is.

There isn't currently any 'puzzle adventure category' in the store of course.

By the way Hector appears under the adventure game category and puzzle. Just keep clicking '25 more' option, to find it. But ya the apple specific categorization system is imprecise.

• I don't care what a developer calls their game...I'm going to make my own decisions after playing their game.

• Heh and since no fan or non-fan or site can agree on definitions it gets us no where! To many it is a variation on the adventure genre to many others it isn't an adventure! So it just proves there is no right or wrong answer! There is no clear answer!

• @MusicallyInspired said: There's no arguing that Puzzle Agent is different than any other Telltale game. And that style is called a puzzle game. I wouldn't call it adventure at all.

I agree, and I feel the same way about the Myst games... would you agree those games should be called puzzle games as well?

• Pretty much. It is quite heavy in story, though, because of all the reading you have to do. It also has some very integral characters even though you barely see them.

• True, but it has so little in common with what I normally associate with adventure games that I still feel I have to call them puzzle games.

Also because of how the puzzles themselves are very different from most adventure games... with no inventory or anything like that, rather quite seperate and self contained puzzles spread about (though with some exceptions where many smaller puzzles are part of one bigger puzzle).

And of course the lack of characters that you mention.

Don't get me wrong though - I own and love all of them... well, I don't like Myst 5 all that much but it is a quality game... same goes for Uru, that is also a quality game but I'm not too fond of it... even tried playing that one online for a little while but still didn't like it much.

Add Comment