649 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Scnew said: Altering scenes from the movie, and then refusing to provide people the chance to buy the originals instead, would be equivalent to Nintendo changing levels of Super Mario Bros., putting Super Mario Bros.: Special Edition! on the Wii Virtual Console, and then refusing to sell the original as well. You can make the argument to "go play your original NES cart," but a lot of those don't work anymore, and kids who are too young to have had one are stuck. You can make the argument that we can all just watch our Star Wars VHS tapes forever, but what happens when the tape gives out, or when our VCRs no longer work?

I like that analogy.

Especially since I lent my NES and games to my second-cousin several years ago and haven't seen it since, so I can't play SMB on my old NES anymore.

• @Doodo, if you're talking about the laserdisc transfers, they are low quality and low resolution (it's letterbox; widescreen in a full screen resolution, so it's even lower resolution than average fullscreen!). Even if they were upscaled, they haven't been remastered with sharper colouring and better sound (ie- like the THX VHS box set).

@Scnew said: Altering scenes from the movie, and then refusing to provide people the chance to buy the originals instead, would be equivalent to Nintendo changing levels of Super Mario Bros., putting Super Mario Bros.: Special Edition! on the Wii Virtual Console, and then refusing to sell the original as well. You can make the argument to "go play your original NES cart," but a lot of those don't work anymore, and kids who are too young to have had one are stuck.

You've just reminded me about the Goldeneye N64 vs Goldeneye Wii issue.

Simply put, people do not want things they love to go away forever. Lucas can make all the changes he wants, and nobody would have a problem with that, if he wasn't doing it while simultaneously refusing (for no good reason!) to provide us with the old school as well.

Basically this. Every other movie franchise out there that has multiple cuts bundles all of them together in one package, or sells an alternate special edition with the new features. This is the norm. Lord of the Rings is a perfect example. And Blade Runner. It's just irritating that George isn't playing ball and offering everything.

• Going back to that NES example, Nintendo basically did that with Super Mario All Stars and people weren't complaining about that.

• They didn't change anything in Super Mario All Stars. They just updated the graphics. They DID NOT ALTER levels. And which version is the one you can buy now on the virtual console? That's right, the NES original. All Stars isn't available anywhere anymore.

• @MusicallyInspired said: They didn't change anything in Super Mario All Stars. They just updated the graphics. They DID NOT ALTER levels. And which version is the one you can buy now on the virtual console? That's right, the NES original. All Stars isn't available anywhere anymore.

The original wasn't available on SNES and all George Lucas did was change the graphics for his movie.

Also, this
    super_mario_all_stars_boxart.jpg

• Yes it is, but it's only available on disc for Wii, not on Virtual Console.

• @supmandude85 said: The original wasn't available on SNES and all George Lucas did was change the graphics for his movie.

Have even watched the original version of the Star Wars OT?

He did a hell of a lot more than improve the graphics, and he didn't even do that properly. If you pay attention to Adywan's fanedit he points out that the SE version on DVD all have this blue tint to them throughout the entire trilogy.

• @Chyron8472 said: Have even watched the original version of the Star Wars OT?

He did a hell of a lot more than improve the graphics, and he didn't even do that properly. If you pay attention to Adywan's fanedit he points out that the SE version on DVD all have this blue tint to them throughout the entire trilogy.

A blue tint is an effect. I do agree about the music, though. (Jedi Rocks made my ears bleed.)

• @supmandude85 said: A blue tint is an effect. I do agree about the music, though. (Jedi Rocks made my ears bleed.)

It's not an effect, it's a flaw in the update. It's persistent throughout.

Also, would you call Jedi Rocks; Hayden as a force ghost; and Greedo shooting first simple graphical updates? No.

• @Chyron8472 said: It's not an effect, it's a flaw in the update. It's persistent throughout.

Also, would you call Jedi Rocks; Hayden as a force ghost; and Greedo shooting first simple graphical updates? No.

I'm pretty sure the blue tint was intentional. Also, the force ghost and Greedo shooting first were basically graphical updates, because it doesn't effect the story. Just like how Mario went from 8 bit to 16 bit.

Add Comment