649 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @doodo! said: Hayden replacing the other actor is something I personally don't agree with. Out of all and any edits that is the hardest for me to settle with.



    Well, I didn't even realise that was meant to be young anakin until after my maths teacher mentioned his sympathy for the guy (something along the lines of the actor buying the DVD version and going "look son, here's my bit coming up..."). I think I always just assumed that it was meant to be obi-wan's instructor or some random jedi-ghost. The change is to make that obvious to kids like I was at the time (because let's face it, the guy looks nothing like deathbed anakin or younger anakin, so kids would get even more confused without the swap!)

    @Chyrron: With the yoda scene, I think it makes it look a bit less fake, but I prefer the bottom one. I think the blue tinge should've been limited to certain space scenes, and the imperial spacecraft.

  • Here we go. From an Entertainment Weekly interview in 2004.

    George Lucas: If you really look at it, there's hardly any changes at all. The thing that really caused the trouble on Star Wars is the whole question of whether Han Solo or Greedo shoots first. The way it got cobbled together at the time, it came off that [Han] fired first. He didn't fire first.

    EW: So you consider this a correction?

    GL: It's a correction. In my mind [Greedo] shot first or at the same time. We like to think of [Han Solo] as a murderer because that's hip -- I don't think that's a good thing for people. I mean, I don't see how you could redeem somebody who kills people in cold blood.

    THIS MAKES NO SENSE. THE ENTIRE SERIES IS ABOUT THE FALL AND REDEMPTION OF ANAKIN SKYWALKER. AAAAAARGH.

    Dude. Seriously.

    If Vader can kill the Jedi, his wife, and even kill younglings(!), and then redeem himself and return to the light side by saving Luke, how the FUCK can Han Solo not be redeemed after shooting a guy who JUST SAID that he was about to kill him?

  • Oh, that completely changes it. I now understand the problem but, it's still not as big of a deal as people make it out to be.

  • I mean, I don't really see why Han shooting Greedo first is any worse then this scene from another George Lucas movie:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGg_F7s7xg&feature=related

  • @Friar said: Well, I didn't even realise that was meant to be young anakin until after my maths teacher mentioned his sympathy for the guy (something along the lines of the actor buying the DVD version and going "look son, here's my bit coming up..."). I think I always just assumed that it was meant to be obi-wan's instructor or some random jedi-ghost. The change is to make that obvious to kids like I was at the time (because let's face it, the guy looks nothing like deathbed anakin or younger anakin, so kids would get even more confused without the swap!)



    I always thought that the ghost was supposed to be just-dead Anakin, but with more limbs and hair. And I did get that right off the bat as a kid, because it looked a bit like Vader when he took his mask off just a few minutes previous. I really didn't see much of a discrepancy there.

    It's more confusing to me to have Anakin coming back as his younger self when all the other dead Jedi came back looking just the same as when they died.

  • @Alcoremortis said: I always thought that the ghost was supposed to be just-dead Anakin, but with more limbs and hair. And I did get that right off the bat as a kid, because it looked a bit like Vader when he took his mask off just a few minutes previous. I really didn't see much of a discrepancy there.

    It's more confusing to me to have Anakin coming back as his younger self when all the other dead Jedi came back looking just the same as when they died.



    Yes. I first saw these movies when I was, like, 12, and I can't say I had a hard time figuring out that the new ghost was Anakin. I mean, it's the same actor that played death-bed Vader... he just has hair now.

    Plus if I was ghost Obi-Wan, I'd be annoyed that I was stuck being an old man when Anakin got to float around looking all young and suave.

  • @Alcoremortis said: It's more confusing to me to have Anakin coming back as his younger self when all the other dead Jedi came back looking just the same as when they died.



    Well time to change that scene to Hayden too. :D

  • @Scnew said: I mean, I don't really see why Han shooting Greedo first is any worse then this scene from another George Lucas movie:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGg_F7s7xg&feature=related



    Related: http://youtu.be/PD138saK_4M

  • @Alcoremortis said: I always thought that the ghost was supposed to be just-dead Anakin, but with more limbs and hair. And I did get that right off the bat as a kid, because it looked a bit like Vader when he took his mask off just a few minutes previous. I really didn't see much of a discrepancy there.

    It's more confusing to me to have Anakin coming back as his younger self when all the other dead Jedi came back looking just the same as when they died.



    Well, Anakin died being bald, wrinkly and with scars.
    Sebastian_Shaw_as_Anakin_Skywalker.jpg

    And then came back as a younger version with hair, no scars and no wrinkles.
    780079_1311246299867_full.jpg

    I don't think it's that much of a leap to say he could comeback as what he looked like before he went to the dark side (or before he died, so to speak.)

    And here's a further blu-ray change.

  • @Friar said: Well, Anakin died being bald, wrinkly and with scars.
    Sebastian_Shaw_as_Anakin_Skywalker.jpg

    And then came back as a younger version with hair, no scars and no wrinkles.
    780079_1311246299867_full.jpg

    I don't think it's that much of a leap to say he could comeback as what he looked like before he went to the dark side (or before he died, so to speak.)



    AnakinEstGrumpy.jpg

    Keep in mind, THIS is what he looked like before he came to the dark side.

Add Comment