User Avatar Image

List of non-traditional adventure games.

posted by BagginsKQ on - last edited - Viewed by 981 users

Anyone willing to make a list if non-traditional adventure games? By this I mean games whose style varied from say the classic Sierra style to feel very different. Different style of puzzles, strange hybrid moments, etc.

I'll start;

Inca & Inca II
Strange adventure that combined space simulator, rail shooters, maze shooter moments with classic adventure game inventory puzzles.

Beyond Zork
Another Zork adventure but incorporated an RPG element to the game. At the start you could even choose your own stats.

Quest for Glory 1-4
Another set of adventure games that incorporated RPG elements into adventure games. The fifth game switched genres into Action/RPG genre. It only maintained a few adventure elements.

Goblins series and Woodruff and the Schnibble
Perhaps what happens when lemmings, humans, or the Lost Vikings is crossed with the adventure game genre. Each character has unique skills suited to solving certain puzzles in each area.

King's Quest: Mask of Eternity
Roberta turns KQ into 3D and incorporates RPG and platforming elements.

Heart of China
This Dynamix game has sections of adventure game with other sections of simulators such as tank simulator.

Mean Streets
The first Tex Murphy game. Much of the game involved a speeder simulator flying around post apocalyptic California.

Loom
One of the earliest adventure games to get rid of inventory, in place puzzles were solved with the novel approach of musical staff.

Dune
Strange game that started out as an adventure game the first half of the game, last half turned into a strategy game.

Myst
A game that did away with inventory puzzles instead the worlds were explored by solving puzzles scattered around the world and by reading books also scattered around. The game was so popular it inspired many clones.

Azriel's Tear
An early true-3D adventure game. It incorporated some RPG and combat sequences. The player plays as an explorer in a rad suit, exploring an underground city filled with dinosaurs and templar knights. While solving Myst-style puzzles. There may have been inventory puzzles as well but it's been so long since I played it.

22 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Normality is a good one...It's a fun game but it's sort of...well out there with it's First Person Perspective.

• @Anakin Skywalker said: I think MODERN RPGs (Think Baldur's Gate) took a lot from the adventure genre. Wide worlds, character and puzzle based, story driven, etc. Old RPGs, from the '80s and '90s, are clearly a different breed altogether, but I think the modern (post '98 or so) RPG took a lot of the driving elements of adventure games and rolled them into the modern "RPG" genre.

That doesn't make them adventures.

• I remember playing one adventure game Sanetarium. That was kinda weird, in that the game was played from a isometric bird's eye viewpoint. Graphically it looked like Balder's Gate or Diablo kinda.

But it wasn't an RPG. It was all about conversations, exploration, and inventory puzzlers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvurouOwbt4

Another weird one is Jane Jenson's hybrid puzzle/adventure game "BeTrapped" in which Jane combined the the Mystery adventure genre, with Minesweeper. Basically creating a game with conversation style puzzles, inventory puzzles, and using 'minesweeper' style gameplay to find and disable traps in each room of the mansion. Again the game uses a kind of bird's eye isometric view. Once you clear the traps out of the room, you can then interrogate characters, find hidden items, and solve inventory style puzzles.

• I'm gonna pop in and say Machinarium. Absolutely stunning artistically, yet uses a unorthodox method of story telling showing the story rather than just flat out telling it. The story is simple, yet very sweet. The puzzles are fairly diverse, ranging from simple to decently challenging logic puzzles without there being too much of a gap between the two.

I dunno. I just like it.

• The Clue! (Der Clou!)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Clue!
    --------------------------------------
    And its sequel
    http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/sting/index.html
    ===============================
    An unbelievingly underrrated burgulary simulator.
    I'm gonna quote wikipedia to explain it's uniqueness:
    @Wikipedia said: The Clue! is mixture of many video game genres. It can be described as role-playing adventure game with tactical/strategy elements and puzzles in the form of burglaries.

Give it a shot!

• Neverhood?

Clay, puzzles, no inventory, almost no dialogue, first and third person view.

Great game.

• @BagginsKQ said: I remember playing one adventure game Sanetarium. That was kinda weird, in that the game was played from a isometric bird's eye viewpoint. Graphically it looked like Balder's Gate or Diablo kinda.

But it wasn't an RPG. It was all about conversations, exploration, and inventory puzzlers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvurouOwbt4

Another weird one is Jane Jenson's hybrid puzzle/adventure game "BeTrapped" in which Jane combined the the Mystery adventure genre, with Minesweeper. Basically creating a game with conversation style puzzles, inventory puzzles, and using 'minesweeper' style gameplay to find and disable traps in each room of the mansion. Again the game uses a kind of bird's eye isometric view. Once you clear the traps out of the room, you can then interrogate characters, find hidden items, and solve inventory style puzzles.

Sanitarium is FANTASTIC!

• Hmm I'm seem to remember Shannara game was kind of interesting style, the interface was sort like a dungeon crawler RPG, but I don't remember it having any combat, it was virtually all inventory or conversation puzzles.

Otherwise generally straightforward First Person Adventure Game.

• I think Oddworld 1-3 counts cos each level is an insidiously hard puzzle.

Add Comment