User Avatar Image

Kings Quest Reboot

posted by GuybrushWilco on - last edited - Viewed by 4.5K users

http://pc.ign.com/articles/115/1150947p1.html

I haven't been this excited about a Telltale announcement since Tales of Monkey Island. I figured this game deserves its own thread. Who else has mega nostalgia for this series? I really should go back and get the KQ collection now.... So what do you all hope to see in the game?

397 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I personally found BTTF to be perfectly what I expect out of a BTTF style story and game. Anymore closer to older adventures and it might have not felt like BTTF...

Will they transfer that style onto KQ? I doubt it... Telltale has been pretty good sticking to the style of the series they are adapting to.

Tales of Monkey Island in my opinion copied the MI style very closely. If the game had been released on one cd, with just a 'chapter title splash screen' between chapters, I would have thought it was just another chapter based MI game like all the previous ones.

It is imo, probably my third favorite game in the series after MI2 really.

I think they will successfully pull off emulating the previous KQ style. I just hope that KQ7 isn't the style of game from the series that they choose to emulate... I'd rather see something between KQ5 and KQ6 in style and interface (but better graphics). But if they pulled off mimicing the older KQ1-3/Simpsons style (with modern graphics) it might be interesting.

• I have a different opinion as to how good Telltale is at "sticking to the style of the series they are adapting to", so naturally, I come to a different conclusion about how likely it is they "will successfully pull off emulating the previous KQ style". My opinions and conclusions are just as valid as yours, they are not proscribed by the rules of this forum, and they do not constitute "hate" in any way, shape or form.

• TMI was only in the spirit of the originals because its development team consisted mostly of people WHO HAD WORKED ON THE ORIGINALS. Nobody seems to get this.

• So if the development team doesn't consist of people who have worked on the originals it's not possible to create the game in the spirit of the originals, is that what you're saying?

• @RogerXY said: So if the development team doesn't consist of people who have worked on the originals it's not possible to create the game in the spirit of the originals, is that what you're saying?

Which would therefore mean that a fan group given the license wouldn't be able to create a game in the spirit of the originals either...

• I'm not saying that. In fact I'm saying there's no way to prove one way or the other (BUT, KQ2+ split the KQ community down the center and it was a fangame, a lot of people loved it and a lot of people hated it, then there's TSL...). What I'm saying is you can't use TMI as an example of how KQ can be as much like the original as TMI was to MI because most of the same people were designing it. And it's much more closer to Telltale's style.

• @MusicallyInspired said: I'm not saying that. In fact I'm saying there's no way to prove one way or the other (BUT, KQ2+ split the KQ community down the center and it was a fangame, a lot of people loved it and a lot of people hated it, then there's TSL...). What I'm saying is you can't use TMI as an example of how KQ can be as much like the original as TMI was to MI because most of the same people were designing it. And it's much more closer to Telltale's style.

You have to consider that in KQ's case, most of the people who were responsible for making KQ what it was are either happily retired, have moved on, are working on other projects, or simply have no interest.

It's a sticky situation. While TT might not be ideal for some, it is FAR, FAR better than if Activision had farmed out KQ to some third party who knew or cared nothing about adventure games or Sierra--Like Sierra did with the last two LSL games.

I mean Sierra had gotten so far away from it's roots that it ordered the Escape Factory people (who were working on the second aborted SQ7) not to even play the originals.

While I love the fan groups, I do notice with a lot of them there is a trend of putting lots of fan service in their games and tying all the original stories up together in some contrived way, and an overly strong interest in the Black Cloak Society--a group that was only mentioned ONCE briefly and only really as a plot point to prove Alhazred's guilt. Or an interest in turning the series into some sort of psychological soap opera like a certain fan sequel....

I don't want any of that in an official sequel, and I worry that fan groups would still insist on this sort of stuff if they were given the license--Because they're hardcore, diehard fans and thus only seeing it through that lens--That very narrow niche of a lens.

Most of the KQ games are standalone entities; You don't need to know any backstory or play any of the previous games to understand what's going on currently. And that's the way it should be. I loved KQ2VGA as a work of fan fiction and yes, AGDI did capture the TONE and FEEL of KQ magnificently (as did IA) but it's the storyline elements which are worrisome.

Myself, I'm fine with toying with gameplay elements, with graphics and the like. I'm fine with experimentation, which is why I love KQ7 and KQ8. Just don't give me an overly complex plot with twists, turns and 1,000 year old prophecies. Don't tie every villain together or pull a "No, I am your father" moment.

• Like Sierra did with the last two LSL games.

Well actually Codemasters bought LSL license from Activision, as far as I uderstand it? So the last game in the series, was purely CodeMasters fault, and any future games will be their fault.

• @BagginsKQ said: Well actually Codemasters bought LSL license from Activision, as far as I uderstand it? So the last game in the series, was purely CodeMasters fault, and any future games will be their fault.

No--Codemasters bought the License from Activision as work on the game was ending. Sierra had been working on it for about a year or so and then the Activision/Vivendi merger came and with it Sierra's end. They basically took what Sierra had been working on and released it. The screenshots and trailers for the game predate the merger and thus were Sierra's doing.
    http://web.archive.org/web/20080916114427/http://www.sierra.com/en/home/news/product_news/011708_-_lsl_bob_announcement.html

Btw, did you know Codemasters also bought the original Sierra headquarters at Oakhurst when Sierra closed it in 1999? And when Sierra gave up the Realm Online, Codemasters bought that too (but later sold it)

• @Anakin Skywalker said: You have to consider that in KQ's case, most of the people who were responsible for making KQ what it was are either happily retired, have moved on, are working on other projects, or simply have no interest.

I do realise that. All I'm saying is...

@Anakin Skywalker said: ...you can't use TMI as an example of how KQ can be as much like the original as TMI was to MI...

It's a completely different scenario and an unfair and over-optimistic comparison.

@Anakin Skywalker said: No--Codemasters bought the License from Activision as work on the game was ending. Sierra had been working on it for about a year or so and then the Activision/Vivendi merger came and with it Sierra's end.

Sierra was long dead even before Vivendi bought them out. It was during the Vivendi reign that Sierra's offices closed up shop and they became merely a brand name publisher. Then shortly afterwards they abolished the label completely. All before the ActiVision merger. You can't really say "Sierra" did anything during the Vivendi years because they didn't exist in any tangible form.

Add Comment