User Avatar Image

Would you guys like it if they took the same art direction as TSL?

posted by Mr. Freeze on - last edited - Viewed by 780 users

Like, if the game looked like TSL does (except obviously not as blocky on some parts, since this would be professionally made)? I personally wouldn't mind.

60 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I also want the option to buy it for Nintendo 3DS for kicks!

  • @Lambonius said: In my opinion, there is a very simple formula that Telltale should try to duplicate. Simply look at the cutscene paintings from KQ5, and turn them into 3D characters and settings. That style should be mimicked as closely as humanly possible. Sierra never surpassed it, and Telltale doesn't have the skills to successfully fuck with it.

    Agreed. My thoughts exactly.

    also this:

    WingedOnesKQ6.pngxhUg7.pngkq6lorddead1.pngGU5rN.jpg

  • Now see, the thing is--I don't include the cutscene graphics from KQ6, because honestly, many of them aren't true illustrations in the manner of the KQ5 paintings. Many of the KQ6 cutscenes are just digitized images of actors in cheesy costumes with lame, detail-less backgrounds. They honestly look dated and ugly to me--kinda like the digitized actor sprites from the original Mortal Kombat. The KQ5 screens on the other hand, are true works of art, fully fleshed out paintings loaded with detail and packed with a distinctive visual style reminiscent of any of the best high fantasy illustrators out there. I like KQ6 graphics, but they just don't have that timeless quality for me.

  • Even Sierra admitted that more money went into developing KQ6's story than it did the art. I forget where I read this but yeah.
    Compare the graphics of KQ5 to KQ6. Same graphics system yes, but the backgrounds in KQ5 are detailed to the most minute degree, every little blade of grass...The backgrounds in KQ6 are not nearly as well detailed, nor as vibrantly colored. And that's because the focus was more on the story than the world.

  • I tend to consider Graham's sprite and walking animations from KQ5 much smoother and more polished than Alex's from KQ6.

  • @MusicallyInspired said: I tend to consider Graham's sprite and walking animations from KQ5 are much smoother and more polished than Alex's from KQ6.

    Yeah Alex's sprite always struck me as a little clunkier, and his walking feels more "linear" somehow. I can't explain it. With Graham it actually feels like you're controlling him. With Alex, it has the same sort of effect that moving Adrian around in Phantas does. Like a cinematic-ness to it that takes away from the feeling of control over the character.

  • Mind you kQ6 artwork is less static because many of the elements are animated sprites over the background. Arms, legs, faces, bodies. Look at those images in the files and you see hat the arwork is incomplete to allow for the animated elements.

    KQ5 had less animation, it's more static background.

    Thus Kq6 backgrounds are technologically superior, although it came at a cost to visual quality.

    An example is the above pic of winged ones... In the game it has an additional sprite and animations for Alexander in the foreground. Azure's arm is a sprite, he is armless in the artework. Allaria has no left hand. The hand is another sprite.

    Similar thing occurs with the oracle. In re arwork she has no arms, and Alexander is a separate sprite.

    Yeah Alex's sprite always struck me as a little clunkier, and his walking feels more "linear" somehow. I can't explain it. With Graham it actually feels like you're controlling him. With Alex, it has the same sort of effect that moving Adrian around in Phantas does. Like a cinematic-ness to it that takes away from the feeling of control over the character.

    That's because KQ6 and Phantas used the same technology. Live actors and green screen, with motion capture for some elements.

  • @BagginsKQ said: Mind you kQ6 artwork is less static because many of the elements are animated sprites over the background. Arms, legs, faces, bodies. Look at those images in the files and you see hat the arwork is incomplete to allow for the animated elements.

    KQ5 had less animation, it's more static background.

    Thus Kq6 backgrounds are technologically superior, although it came at a cost to visual quality.

    That's because KQ6 and Phantas used the same technology. Live actors and green screen, with motion capture for some elements.

    So technically in some ways, KQ6 was actually Roberta's first foray into interactive movies....Sort of a testing ground for Phantas. I know in the Making of KQ6 she says she feels that in her games you're basically playing a movie in which you're the director, the actor and the audience all at the same time. You could see the ideas for Phantasmagoria, and for making games a truly cinematic experience were bubbling in her mind around this time and Ken too as early as 1990 or so was pushing more and more for games to become interactive movies.

    He was much more optimistic in the late 80s/early-mid 90s. He felt that games would become on par with movies and literature as ART...By the late 90s, around the time of the sale to CUC, he seems sort of dejected, and doesn't refer to games as interactive stories or movies anymore but as simply games; entertainment, not art.

  • @Anakin Skywalker said: I know in the Making of KQ6 she says she feels that in her games you're basically playing a movie in which you're the director, the actor and the audience all at the same time. You could see the ideas for Phantasmagoria, and for making games a truly cinematic experience were bubbling in her mind around this time and Ken too as early as 1990 or so was pushing more and more for games to become interactive movies.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwBeQvSUBg4

    quote is at @ 3:38

  • Graham moved his arm in a closeups at the beginning and ending of KQ5, but yeah, generally there's not much movement. But KQ6 doesn't have THAT much more.

Add Comment