User Avatar Image

KQ7: Underrated?

posted by Anakin Skywalker on - last edited - Viewed by 1.3K users

Just as I feel KQ6 is overrated, I feel KQ7 is terribly underrated. In the other thread, I played Devil's Advocate when it was contrasted against KQ8, but KQ7 is truly a game I love. It's truly a modern fairy tale--something I think Roberta always wanted to create. I actually think KQ7 is the game she had wanted to create since the series began, as she'd always been influenced by Disney and fairy tales and the like, but never truly had the technology to create something Disney-like. KQ8 was a reaction to changing times and while she may have been proud of it--it was a reaction to the changing game climate.

But KQ7 is a very pure game; Roberta's influence on the game wasn't sullied by any suits or outside influences and the game to me is a masterpiece. It's truly like playing a Disney film, having a Disney game with you as the protagonist and it also manages to retain the KQ spirit. It's probably the most heart touching game in the series. If KQ4 is dark, eerie and urgent, KQ7 is light, beautiful and serene. It has some of the most beautiful artwork in the series--possibly the best and most wonderous game worlds besides KQ5.

It suffers from some of the same flaws KQ5 did--It was a transition game, a game which opened many doors, and as such, it was sort of a testing ground for new technology like KQ5 was. Later games like LSL 7 and SQ6 took the general idea that KQ7 had and improved on it, but even so, KQ7 stands as one of my favorite KQ games, and I wish we'd had another game or two in that Disney-esque style.

My top 5 KQ Games:
1) KQ5
2) KQ1SCI
3) KQ7
4) KQ4
5) KQ8

121 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • KQ7 is one of those games that you play once, and u wish you'd never saw it in your life again. I even hate the game's animation looking like a Disney cartoon. If there's one thing I dislike than something looking kiddish, its someone mimicking the Disney style. Out of all the styles they could have used, why the hell did they pick the Disney style for this game? I still remember one review of the game saying that the game's art style turned off his interest.

    I can think of better games that have better 2D animation than this, Leisure Suit Larry Love for sail being one of them.

  • @Leplaya said: KQ7 is one of those games that you play once, and u wish you'd never saw it in your life again. I even hate the game's animation looking like a Disney cartoon. If there's one thing I dislike than something looking kiddish, its someone mimicking the Disney style. Out of all the styles they could have used, why the hell did they pick the Disney style for this game? I still remember one review of the game saying that the game's art style turned off his interest.

    I can think of better games that have better 2D animation than this, Leisure Suit Larry Love for sail being one of them.

    Its closer to Don Bluth's style and LSL 7 came out two years later.

  • Though KQ7 didn't earn as high accolades as KQ6 it still managed to receive quite a few positive reviews. Mainly for the SVGA graphics technology used in the game (higher resolution more colors, etc), that pushed most computers and required graphic card and computer upgrades in it's day.

    Some praised the simplified cursor system as being a good thing, making the game more accessible to new players.

    Still others liked the direction of the Disney-like graphics.

    Was KQ7 overrated? Discuss?

  • @Anakin Skywalker said: Its closer to Don Bluth's style and LSL 7 came out two years later.

    Makes me wonder if Don Bluth even played video games, considering he produced a 2D game(dragon's Lair). But LSL 7's animation I would say is more on the lines of a WB cartoon than Disney's style.

  • KQ7 is my favourite Kings Quest!
    Yes I know, I'm a horrible person.

    But, perhaps its because of the experiences I had with it that make me like it so much. I used to stay over my nans place and play it for hours with her.
    Though I really don't mind the 'Disney art', and I've replayed it many times and still love it.
    I'm also one of the crazies who doesn't like dying in adventure games, so judge me as you will :p

  • User Avatar Image
    Cez

    KQ7 is one of my fav King's Quest, actually. But it also probably has to do with how I feel about the game and what period of my life it reminds me of than anything else.

    Now, I can understand why people dislike it, but one thing I've never understood is... why the hell does everybody speak so bad about the interface? Do you guys also say the same about every game Telltale has produced? Because as far as I know, it's exactly the same interface what we are talking about (Maybe a bit different with the right click being the descriptor, but still.)

    This is something I've never quite understood. Maybe it was the fact that it was one of the first adventure games to ever do it, but in this day and age, 95% of all adventure games follow the same interface style.

  • I don't really like single cursor interface/hotspots in most modern games.

    It's just not as fun as extra 'look icon', and the ability to look around, and be told about random things in the world.

    In KQ7, trying to click on useless things, just gets you 'X's.

  • @Cez said: Now, I can understand why people dislike it, but one thing I've never understood is... why the hell does everybody speak so bad about the interface? Do you guys also say the same about every game Telltale has produced?

    Yeah. It's too easy.

  • @BagginsKQ said: I don't really like single cursor interface/hotspots in most modern games.

    It's just not as fun as extra 'look icon', and the ability to look around, and be told about random things in the world.

    In KQ7, trying to click on useless things, just gets you 'X's.

    True but in a modern gaming environment, let's be honest, a narrator is kind of, well, redundant. People don't want one. And by the time KQ7 was out, the graphics of KQ7 were so detailed that you didn't need a narrator to tell you what was around you, and the narrator I imagine also ate up extra memory--And KQ7 already had to cut some stuff to save memory, like Malicia's backstory and possibly Graham's appearance and the Rubber Jungle.

    Besides, at times Rosella or Valanice will comment on something if you click on it.

    I think the narrator is a nice bonus, a nice feature but isn't something that is NECESSARY. I think the only reason the KQ games had a narrator in the first place was because the graphics of the originals were so low-quality (albeit high tech at the time) that they knew they needed some form of verbal aid to tell you what was around you and clue you into hot areas or items.

  • User Avatar Image
    Cez

    I personally always thought an interface shouldn't really make a game. If a game is too "easy", it's not the single cursor interface what makes it easy, but more the puzzles in the game. KQ7 was easy, but I don't think that had to do with the actual interface, but with the level of difficulty of the game.

    I've played some really hard games that are single cursor. That difficulty comes from the puzzles and the puzzles challenges.

    If anything, multiple cursors give you variety of "narrations". But when most games do away with the narrations these days, there's no need for them.

Add Comment