User Avatar Image

KQ7: Underrated?

posted by Anakin Skywalker on - last edited - Viewed by 1.3K users

Just as I feel KQ6 is overrated, I feel KQ7 is terribly underrated. In the other thread, I played Devil's Advocate when it was contrasted against KQ8, but KQ7 is truly a game I love. It's truly a modern fairy tale--something I think Roberta always wanted to create. I actually think KQ7 is the game she had wanted to create since the series began, as she'd always been influenced by Disney and fairy tales and the like, but never truly had the technology to create something Disney-like. KQ8 was a reaction to changing times and while she may have been proud of it--it was a reaction to the changing game climate.

But KQ7 is a very pure game; Roberta's influence on the game wasn't sullied by any suits or outside influences and the game to me is a masterpiece. It's truly like playing a Disney film, having a Disney game with you as the protagonist and it also manages to retain the KQ spirit. It's probably the most heart touching game in the series. If KQ4 is dark, eerie and urgent, KQ7 is light, beautiful and serene. It has some of the most beautiful artwork in the series--possibly the best and most wonderous game worlds besides KQ5.

It suffers from some of the same flaws KQ5 did--It was a transition game, a game which opened many doors, and as such, it was sort of a testing ground for new technology like KQ5 was. Later games like LSL 7 and SQ6 took the general idea that KQ7 had and improved on it, but even so, KQ7 stands as one of my favorite KQ games, and I wish we'd had another game or two in that Disney-esque style.

My top 5 KQ Games:
1) KQ5
2) KQ1SCI
3) KQ7
4) KQ4
5) KQ8

121 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • It's a decent enough atmosphere....for a non-King's Quest game. It's just the fact that other King's Quest games were so much better in tone, style, writing, and interaction.

And I absolutely do prefer Girl in the Tower.

• @MusicallyInspired said: It's a decent enough atmosphere....for a non-King's Quest game. It's just the fact that other King's Quest games were so much better in tone, style, writing, and interaction.

And I absolutely do prefer Girl in the Tower.

But it is a King's Quest game...and I don't see how KQ7 is all that different in tone than say, KQ5. Style? I guess graphics are up to the viewer but I never saw anything wrong with Don Bluth style artwork. Writing? The writing is about on par with KQ1-5. The only major difference is the interface.

• I can't describe it. It's just not the same to me. Maybe they were always meant to be the same style I don't know, but KQ7 is just a heck of a lot more obvious. I just dislike everything about it as a King's Quest title. I can't see KQ7's writing as the same as KQ5. It's just so much more lighter. KQ5 was pretty light, granted, but it wasn't so.....KQ7-ish. lol

• @MusicallyInspired said: I can't describe it. It's just not the same to me. Maybe they were always meant to be the same style I don't know, but KQ7 is just a heck of a lot more obvious. I just dislike everything about it as a King's Quest title. I can't see KQ7's writing as the same as KQ5. It's just so much more lighter. KQ5 was pretty light, granted, but it wasn't so.....KQ7-ish. lol

What about "Queen Beetrice", "King ANThony", "Queen ICEbella", the happy ants marching song into the haystack, the jollyness of the town, just the overall light hearted spirit of the game? Serenia is a very light land.

The only darkness in the game is Mordack's castle and that's not darkness from a story standpoint; it's just dark because of the creepiness of Mordack's castle.

• @Anakin Skywalker said: What about "Queen Beetrice", "King ANThony", "Queen ICEbella", the happy ants marching song into the haystack, the jollyness of the town, just the overall light hearted spirit of the game? Serenia is a very light land.

The only darkness in the game is Mordack's castle and that's not darkness from a story standpoint; it's just dark because of the creepiness of Mordack's castle.

I definitely have to disagree here. Take a look at some of the fantasy artwork that inspired the art style of KQ5. When you compare them, it's easy to see that a certain level of grit went into every aspect of KQ5's visuals that just doesn't exist in any other KQ game (well, maybe KQ1SCI and KQ4, but in a different way.)

The artwork in KQ5 always reminds me a bit of the paintings of guys like Boris Vallejo (see link below), but without all the naked titties. ;)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=boris%20vallejo&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=515l1569l0l2764l9l7l0l0l0l0l139l770l2.5l7l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1280&bih=841&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

• None of the content of KQ5 is the same as KQ7's incredibly zany, other-worldly, and cartoony characters and locations. KQ5 is whimsical, sure. But KQ7 is like....ultra-super-mega whimsical. And nothing else.

• @Lambonius said: I definitely have to disagree here. Take a look at some of the fantasy artwork that inspired the art style of KQ5. When you compare them, it's easy to see that a certain level of grit went into every aspect of KQ5's visuals that just doesn't exist in any other KQ game (well, maybe KQ1SCI and KQ4, but in a different way.)

The artwork in KQ5 always reminds me a bit of the paintings of guys like Boris Vallejo

Fantasy artwork that (supposedly) inspires a game is different from the feel of the game itself. It's like saying The Secret of Monkey Island is gritty because it is inspired by the book On Stranger Tides. You might make some case for MI2 with this, but not MI1. The art of MI1 might be dark in places--especially in "hell" but the overall tone of the game is comedic and silly.

The background art isn't all that goes into (nor does it have to be the largest part of) a game's overall feel. In an adventure game, the characters and dialogue play a large part in the feel of a game---even moreso with the advent of ingame speech. Additionally, the nature of the game's puzzles also play a part. In my opinion, the character portraits, dialogue, voice-acting and puzzles (pie in the face, anyone?) are so blatanly lighthearted in KQ5 that it's silly to the point of being laughably absurd.

In King's Quest 7, an entire area of the game is allocated for people who admit to being dead. Certainly, KQ6's Land of the Dead it is not, but it's still dark and foreboding-- especially considering the route to it from the forest passes by Malecia's creepy house, a carnivorous fly-trap plant and and a swamp monster. Now... given that I did just say that the puzzles, characters and dialogue make up a large part of the feel of a game, and KQ7 does have many lighthearted elements as such, but they are not near as laughably absurd as those in KQ5 unless they are intentionally absurd as in the town of Falderal. But then even the word falderal itself is defined as "foolish nonsense."

I would say that KQ7 is appropriately silly in places on purpose while KQ5 is absurd in places by mere ineptitude (a poooiisonous snake!)

• KQ5 was pretty light, granted, but it wasn't so.....KQ7-ish. lol

KQ5 has its Black Cauldron edgier moments actually... the Dark Forest, the incredibly evil Wizard's Island and Castle... Even the desert and icy mountains, and open ocean have their lonely darker feel to to them...

Then the whole cannibal subplot on the Harpy Island...

The art style is realism full detailed painted characters, rather than feature film cell style animation...

Even the narrator gives KQ5 a more somber tone!

The artwork in KQ5 always reminds me a bit of the paintings of guys like Boris Vallejo (see link below), but without all the naked titties.

Careful, if this was POS forums you might be banned ;)!

King's Quest 7, an entire area of the game is allocated for people who admit to being dead. Certainly, KQ6's Land of the Dead it is not, but it's still dark and foreboding-- especially considering the route to it from the forest passes by Malecia's creepy house, a carnivorous fly-trap plant and and a swamp monster. Now... given that I did just say that the puzzles, characters and dialogue make up a large part of the feel of a game, and KQ7 does have many lighthearted elements as such, but they are not near as laughably absurd as those in KQ5 unless they are intentionally absurd as in the town of Falderal. But then even the word falderal itself is defined as "foolish nonsense."

Sorry, but the swamp was not that creepy to me... KQ4 has a creepier swamp... Your examples with the canivorous plant... and the 'swamp monster''' You take out the swamp monster in an amusing manner with a perfume bottle, and its not generally that threatening of an enemy really (the Yeti in contrast was much more threatening creature, looked more threatening due to its more detailed appearance... yes, you do still take it out in a silly manner, but as a monster its much more believably threatening)... The carnivrous plant is probably one of the most sillly characters in the game (being eaten gives them the Butter crown... from the old 1980's parkay commercials)... Sorry the lighthearted, come here sugar plum, so we can eat you, doesn't creep me out at all. Malicia is probably the least threating villain in the series, and its undermined by the silly dog...

There is very little in Oogga Booga graveyard that I would consider 'dark and creepy'... Almost everyone there is silly beyond all levels of sillyness.. the Deaths are incredibly silly there too... The boogeyman jumping out at you is a cheap thrill... The Land of the Dead in KQ6 and the graveyard in KQ4 have much darker foreboding feel to them...

Being dead doesn't make somethign more 'dark'... Just look at the old movie Dracula: Dead and Loving It!

As far as artwork... KQ7's style has a far more exaggerated look to it, on the side of Alice in Wonderland, with maybe some of Tim Burton's iconic style (without Tim Burton's trademark dark moody anxiesty character style)...

I much prefer the realism of KQ5 and KQ6's style...

Rosella (my second favorite KQ character next to Graham) starring in it again

It also screwed up her character turning her from a strong willed, polite, heroinne willing to think of everyone but herself into to an overly selfish, pompous, and rude snot, more interested in herself than others...

It was not the same Rosella seen in KQ4...

• @BagginsKQ said: Then the whole cannibal subplot on the Harpy Island...

Yeah, Cedric almost died and I was very upset about it -- annoying though his voice-actor was, he's still an owl and owls are cool.

@BagginsKQ said: It also screwed up her character turning her from a strong willed, polite, heroinne willing to think of everyone but herself into to an overly selfish, pompous, and rude snot, more interested in herself than others...

This was my biggest problem with KQ7. I can enjoy a game even though the graphics aren't my cup of tea (and KQ7's aren't). But I didn't really like Rosella very much, for exactly the reasons you gave, or for that matter Valanice either.

• @BagginsKQ said: KQ5 has its Black Cauldron edgier moments actually... the Dark Forest, the incredibly evil Wizard's Island and Castle... Even the desert and icy mountains, and open ocean have their lonely darker feel to to them...

Then the whole cannibal subplot on the Harpy Island...

The art style is realism full detailed painted characters, rather than feature film cell style animation...

Even the narrator gives KQ5 a more somber tone!

Careful, if this was POS forums you might be banned ;)!

Sorry, but the swamp was not that creepy to me... KQ4 has a creepier swamp... Your examples with the canivorous plant... and the 'swamp monster''' You take out the swamp monster in an amusing manner with a perfume bottle, and its not generally that threatening of an enemy really (the Yeti in contrast was much more threatening creature, looked more threatening due to its more detailed appearance... yes, you do still take it out in a silly manner, but as a monster its much more believably threatening)... The carnivrous plant is probably one of the most sillly characters in the game (being eaten gives them the Butter crown... from the old 1980's parkay commercials)... Sorry the lighthearted, come here sugar plum, so we can eat you, doesn't creep me out at all. Malicia is probably the least threating villain in the series, and its undermined by the silly dog...

There is very little in Oogga Booga graveyard that I would consider 'dark and creepy'... Almost everyone there is silly beyond all levels of sillyness.. the Deaths are incredibly silly there too... The boogeyman jumping out at you is a cheap thrill... The Land of the Dead in KQ6 and the graveyard in KQ4 have much darker foreboding feel to them...

Being dead doesn't make somethign more 'dark'... Just look at the old movie Dracula: Dead and Loving It!

As far as artwork... KQ7's style has a far more exaggerated look to it, on the side of Alice in Wonderland, with maybe some of Tim Burton's iconic style (without Tim Burton's trademark dark moody anxiesty character style)...

I much prefer the realism of KQ5 and KQ6's style...

It also screwed up her character turning her from a strong willed, polite, heroinne willing to think of everyone but herself into to an overly selfish, pompous, and rude snot, more interested in herself than others...

I don't remember acting "overly selfish, pompous and rode" or "more interested in herself than others" in KQ7. I know everyone only watches the intro and thus gets that impression because she doesn't want to marry at 19 but if you ever play through the game fully or watch a playthrough, you see she does help a lot of people in the game and even helps to save all of Etheria.

And I always found the Swamp Monster pretty creepy. Same with the Werewoods bear, especially the Death scenes. And Colin Farwalker, arguably the creepiest character in the whole series.

The same "but the creepiness is taken away by it being dispatched in a silly manner" can be used against the Blue Beast in KQ5. Come on, a bag of peas? Cheesy.

Or throwing a pie in a yeti's face. That takes away all of the scare factor out of what could be a really scary monster.

And the Cannibal Harpies are cheesy too...They act like arguing teenage girls.
    "Isn't he luscious? Mhm!"
    "I don't know, he doesn't look like my type. What do you think, Cruelina?"
    "I think he looks too old and tough. I like my meal to be young and tender."
    "Don't be so picky. I'm tired of fish. I haven't had a man in months!"
    "Yes you did! I saw you steal a man off a raft just last weak"
    "Oh, he doesn't count. He was already tipped over by the time I got to him!"
    "Well, at least this one's fresh."
    "I don't know about you girls, but I'Mready to eat."
    "Oh, you're ALWAYSready to eat. That's why you're so FAT!"
    "I AM NOT!"
    "YOU ARE TOO!"
    "I AM NOT!"
    "YOU ARE TOO!"

Present the harp to them:
    "What's he doing? What's that doing?"
    "I DON'T KNOW BUT I WANT IT!"
    "Hey but that's not fair! Go and get it from her, get her!"

The Land of the Dead is creepy right up until the xylophone scene with the dancing skeletons. Way to utterly break a nice, spooky atmosphere!

The only game that can legitimately be called creepy/eerie/scary most of the way through is KQ4. In that game, there are no breaks really. Very few light breaks. It's the only game where the storyline is bleak (Graham dying, Genesta dying; time is of the essence) and depressing, the land is lonely and desolate save for a few inhabitants, everything and everyone else is out to kill you, and you have Lolotte, who is genuinely a scary sort of villain. A real evil witch. For me it borders on horror.

KQ6 isn't really so much dark as it is more mature in storyline and tone. But mature =/= dark. It's just simply a more complex, mature story.

KQ4 is the arguably darkest entry in the series.

Add Comment