User Avatar Image

KQ7: Underrated?

posted by Anakin Skywalker on - last edited - Viewed by 983 users

Just as I feel KQ6 is overrated, I feel KQ7 is terribly underrated. In the other thread, I played Devil's Advocate when it was contrasted against KQ8, but KQ7 is truly a game I love. It's truly a modern fairy tale--something I think Roberta always wanted to create. I actually think KQ7 is the game she had wanted to create since the series began, as she'd always been influenced by Disney and fairy tales and the like, but never truly had the technology to create something Disney-like. KQ8 was a reaction to changing times and while she may have been proud of it--it was a reaction to the changing game climate.

But KQ7 is a very pure game; Roberta's influence on the game wasn't sullied by any suits or outside influences and the game to me is a masterpiece. It's truly like playing a Disney film, having a Disney game with you as the protagonist and it also manages to retain the KQ spirit. It's probably the most heart touching game in the series. If KQ4 is dark, eerie and urgent, KQ7 is light, beautiful and serene. It has some of the most beautiful artwork in the series--possibly the best and most wonderous game worlds besides KQ5.

It suffers from some of the same flaws KQ5 did--It was a transition game, a game which opened many doors, and as such, it was sort of a testing ground for new technology like KQ5 was. Later games like LSL 7 and SQ6 took the general idea that KQ7 had and improved on it, but even so, KQ7 stands as one of my favorite KQ games, and I wish we'd had another game or two in that Disney-esque style.

My top 5 KQ Games:
1) KQ5
2) KQ1SCI
3) KQ7
4) KQ4
5) KQ8

121 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • No, I get that impression from her actions not only from the intro, but as a troll, and later in the game.. She has a very whiny voice, and complains about nearly everything going on in the game... Worst voice cast ever in a KQ game...

And I always found the Swamp Monster pretty creepy. Same with the Werewoods bear, especially the Death scenes. And Colin Farwalker, arguably the creepiest character in the whole series.

I found swamp monster and the were-bear kinda amusing actually... They are exagerrated cartoon monsters...

I never found Colin Farwalker that scary... maybe a little trajic but never scary... The desert just isn't that scary of a location...

Boogeyman, Headlses Horseman, and his wife are more scary than Colin... They are more cheap thrills than anything...

There is a serious difference in that unless you know how to solve how to defeat the yeti, or the harpies, they seriously feel threatening... The death seems realistic...

The death from the plant monster and the were-bear are actually kinda funny!

KQ6 isn't really so much dark as it is more mature in storyline and tone. But mature =/= dark. It's just simply a more complex, mature story.

It actually touches on several dark themes, such as a villain who places himself into a trusted position of power, stabs his benifactors in their sleep, tries to even off the next in line to push himself into next in line... He is a extremely evil and manipulative character, that puts on airs of being a good guy...

btw creepy =/= necessarily equal dark either! I know at least a few people that argue that KQ4 isn't really 'dark'...

Hell even Roberta Williams admitted that KQ6 has a dark tone. Probably for the evil and malign villain in the story...

• @BagginsKQ said: No, I get that impression from her actions not only from the intro, but as a troll, and later in the game.. She has a very whiny voice, and complains about nearly everything going on in the game... Worst voice cast ever in a KQ game...

I found swamp monster and the were-bear kinda amusing actually... They are exagerrated cartoon monsters...

I never found Colin Farwalker that scary... maybe a little trajic but never scary... The desert just isn't that scary of a location...

Boogeyman, Headlses Horseman, and his wife are more scary than Colin... They are more cheap thrills than anything...

There is a serious difference in that unless you know how to solve how to defeat the yeti, or the harpies, they seriously feel threatening... The death seems realistic...

The death from the plant monster and the were-bear are actually kinda funny!

It actually touches on several dark themes, such as a villain who places himself into a trusted position of power, stabs his benifactors in their sleep, tries to even off the next in line to push himself into next in line... He is a extremely evil and manipulative character, that puts on airs of being a good guy...

btw creepy =/= necessarily equal dark either! I know at least a few people that argue that KQ4 isn't really 'dark'...

Hell even Roberta Williams admitted that KQ6 has a dark tone. Probably for the evil and malign villain in the story...

We agree to disagree. You don't like KQ7; I do. At the end of the day, the argument is on my side, because it IS a part of the KQ series.

• We agree to disagree. You don't like KQ7; I do. At the end of the day, the argument is on my side, because it IS a part of the KQ series.

No, I never said that KQ7, isn't a KQ game...

I just feel its the weakest KQ game, and had a completely different feel... There is a big difference...

So no the arguement is not on your side, its not on either of our side... We have different opinions... It doesn't make your opinion or my opinion any more or less valid...

If you think that your opinion is more valid than other people's opinion, that just makes you a pompous ass and possibly even a jerk...

• @BagginsKQ said: No, I never said that KQ7, isn't a KQ game...

I just feel its the weakest KQ game, and had a completely different feel... There is a big difference...

So no the arguement is not on your side, its not on either of our side... We have different opinions... It doesn't make your opinion or my opinion any more or less valid...

If you think that your opinion is more valid than other people's opinion, that just makes you a pompous ass and possibly even a jerk...

Sorry if I came off badly I just am not in the best of moods and wasn't interested in debating.

• Sorry if I came off badly I just am not in the best of moods and wasn't interested in debating.

A wise person once said, "If you know you have nothing good to say, sometimes its best not to say anything at all".

Another wise person once set, "Sometimes its best to know when to keep your mouth shut, or you might make an ass of yourself".

In general its best only discuss soemthing, when you are in a good mood...

Generally speaking, if you get so riled and defensive to the point, that you start attacking other people (ad hominem), rather than their viewpoints, the debate is weakening on your end.

Besides its very difficult to 'debate' opinions on a subject that has no 'facts'. What we are discussing are feelings based purely on opinions, it's not a 'fact-based' subject.

If the purpose of 'debate' is to somehow influence and change beliefs, its very difficult to change beliefs, on something that is based purely on opinions. Where neither view point is right or wrong. Basically it would be virtually impossible for me to make you stop loving the game, or you to make me love the game with zero reservations...

• @BagginsKQ said: A wise person once said, "If you know you have nothing good to say, sometimes its best not to say anything at all".

Another wise person once set, "Sometimes its best to know when to your own mouth shut, or you might make an ass of yourself".

Generally speaking, if you get so riled to the point, that you start attacking other people (ad hominem), rather than their viewpoints, the debate is weakening on your end.

Besides its very difficult to 'debate' opinions on a subject that has no 'facts'. What we are discussing are feelings based purely on opinions, it's not a 'fact-based' subject.

If the purpose of 'debate' is to somehow influence and change beliefs, its very difficult to change beliefs, on something that is based purely on opinions. Where neither view point is right or wrong.

Well by debate I mean that we'd be throwing countering subjective opinions back and forth with no real purpose or point, because neither of us is going to change the other's opinion. I can't go on forever and convince you why KQ7 is a good game...So why continue it?

• No offense, but you created this thread for people to discuss their opinions. If you don't like reading other peoples opinions, then maybe don't make the threads?

• Well, unlike previous KQ games which I almost uniformly loved, KQ7 was a bit of a mixed bag for me. There were some things I liked a lot about it -- the art (yes, I'm one of the few who like it) the alternate endings, and the characters. There were also some things about it I really hated -- the puzzle design was annoying, particularly the many 'timed entrance' puzzles with the dog and bogeyman, and in my opinion the second half of the game was rather lack-luster and repetitive. In general I think it's rated properly -- fun but not fantastic. Put it this way: I've played all other KQ games at least 3 times, KQ7 I only felt the need to play through once, plus the alternate ending.

• I like KQ7, but my primary issues are that there is no control over walking speed, and the player is capable of only playing certain chapters. That is, at the beginning of a new game, you are asked outright what chapter you want to start on, and I don't like that.

• BTW, I don't exactly 'hate' KQ7, I just have many criticisms for it.

Add Comment