User Avatar Image

The Silver Lining thread

posted by Mike Haley on - last edited - Viewed by 3.2K users

Nobody else has posted this, so...

It looks like The Silver Lining (formerly known as King's Quest IX: Every Cloak Has a Silver Lining) will finally be released in Summer 2009. That is, if Vivindi Games (now merged with Activision) doesn't sit on its royal ass during the approval process. Unfortunately, only the first two chapters of The Silver Lining will be released. The remaining chapters (3-9) will most likely never see the light of day. According to the team, it would take 10 or more years to complete them without proper funding, which even if they had, would put their fan license in jeopardy.

It would be interesting to see if they ultimately decide to release the remaining chapters one at a time over the next few years. I hear that episodic gaming is doing fairly well...

http://www.tsl-game.com/journal/special/

Now, I just wish that SQ7.org would receive permission from Vivindi Games to be completed.

301 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • [quote=anakin skywalker;540989]"edgar, how did you feel about being a slave and not knowing your real family until you were an adult?"

"ninjas"

"iambic pentameter"

"yes, ninjas!"

"sob sob valanice suicide attempt".[/quote]

Awesome.

• @KuroShiro said: I appreciate the reference, but you might want to go for *slightly* more prosaic titles. That one is so flowery it comes across as self-parody.

I've got to admit, I like the episode titles. I kinda wish TTG would go the same direction with their titles, it would make for some pretty awesome posters.

• The Episode Title is ridiculous, but hey - it's their choice, and it fits the tone of the game so far. It would be weird if they called it "Jump Graham, Jump!"

Bt

• Thanks caeska :) Yes, this one's a little long, but we made the decision to go with Shakespeare quotes, and each one chosen does indeed fit each episode.

• User Avatar Image
    Cez

Man, now I want to call it, Dance, Graham, Dance! Can we change then name? :)

• To be fair, we'd have to add a dance sequence then. :)

• @KatieHal said: You should've heard the original, we shortened it to this after rejecting the original "Tis in My Memory Locked, and You Yourself Shall Keep the Key of It Darkity Dark Dark Emo McSkinnyJeanPants Cries All the Time"

:P

I am not really one of TSLs detractors -- I appreciate all the effort you guys have put in and I've mostly enjoyed the games as long as I don't take them too seriously. Since you do tend to be open to feedback, I just feel the need to comment when high school poetry circle level writing choices get put out for public consumption.

• We definitely welcome feedback--my comment was joking and meant in good fun. :)

Although, to be fair, as we said, the line is actually from Shakespeare, so not *quite* high school poetry ;)

• @KatieHal said: We definitely welcome feedback--my comment was joking and meant in good fun. :)

Although, to be fair, as we said, the line is actually from Shakespeare, so not *quite* high school poetry ;)

I'm pretty sure Kuroshiro wasn't suggesting that Shakespeare's writing was "high school level poetry", but rather that the extremely cliche nature of the title choices was high school level.

• @KatieHal said: We definitely welcome feedback--my comment was joking and meant in good fun. :)

I think that might have come out a bit harshly, and I know your response was in fun. I'm aware of the sources of your titles -- note that I said choices, not actual writing :).

What I meant was more that it is the sort of thing I would have thought was a cool title back when I was 14 or 15. There's nothing inherently wrong with that if that's the audience you're aiming for, it just comes across as overly serious and kind of silly, as I said.

Add Comment