User Avatar Image

The Silver Lining thread

posted by Mike Haley on - last edited - Viewed by 3.2K users

Nobody else has posted this, so...

It looks like The Silver Lining (formerly known as King's Quest IX: Every Cloak Has a Silver Lining) will finally be released in Summer 2009. That is, if Vivindi Games (now merged with Activision) doesn't sit on its royal ass during the approval process. Unfortunately, only the first two chapters of The Silver Lining will be released. The remaining chapters (3-9) will most likely never see the light of day. According to the team, it would take 10 or more years to complete them without proper funding, which even if they had, would put their fan license in jeopardy.

It would be interesting to see if they ultimately decide to release the remaining chapters one at a time over the next few years. I hear that episodic gaming is doing fairly well...

http://www.tsl-game.com/journal/special/

Now, I just wish that SQ7.org would receive permission from Vivindi Games to be completed.

301 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @KuroShiro said: I think that might have come out a bit harshly, and I know your response was in fun. I'm aware of the sources of your titles -- note that I said choices, not actual writing :).

    What I meant was more that it is the sort of thing I would have thought was a cool title back when I was 14 or 15. There's nothing inherently wrong with that if that's the audience you're aiming for, it just comes across as overly serious and kind of silly, as I said.

    Just because I like the titles doesn't mean that I'm 14 or 15, if that's what you're implying. I'm 28 actually, and my impression of the episode titles are not that they're silly at all. They're different, and I have a high appreciation when people are bold enough to explore new directions, directions that are not widely employed in today's market.

    I resent the theory that TSL is aimed towards an adolescent audience, when clearly the entire KQ genre has always and always will be appreciated by mature audiences.
    For being a fan-made project, one that does not derive any profits no less, I think TSL is very well done.
    In regards to music and storytelling, it is extremely well made.

  • @caeska said: Just because I like the titles doesn't mean that I'm 14 or 15, if that's what you're implying. I'm 28 actually, and my impression of the episode titles are not that they're silly at all. They're different, and I have a high appreciation when people are bold enough to explore new directions, directions that are not widely employed in today's market.

    I resent the theory that TSL is aimed towards an adolescent audience, when clearly the entire KQ genre has always and always will be appreciated by mature audiences.
    For being a fan-made project, one that does not derive any profits no less, I think TSL is very well done.
    In regards to music and storytelling, it is extremely well made.

    1112239798-00.jpg

  • @caeska said: I'm 28 actually, and my impression of the episode titles are not that they're silly at all. They're different, and I have a high appreciation when people are bold enough to explore new directions, directions that are not widely employed in today's market.

    The thing is, they're NOT original. Not in the slightest. Overly flowery prose is one of the major cliches of the fantasy genre in general. It's one thing if it's tongue-in-cheek, where the authors aren't taking themselves too seriously and the silliness is part of the intention behind it, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. People make the comparison to high school level writing because high school writers take themselves seriously but in reality don't have a clue what they're doing. There is no subtlety to high school level creative writing choices, and there is no subtlety to TSL's writing choices. The cheesy, overly long episode titles are just the latest example of this.

  • @Lambonius said: The thing is, they're NOT original. Not in the slightest. Overly flowery prose is one of the major cliches of the fantasy genre in general. It's one thing if it's tongue-in-cheek, where the authors aren't taking themselves too seriously and the silliness is part of the intention behind it, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. People make the comparison to high school level writing because high school writers take themselves seriously but in reality don't have a clue what they're doing. There is no subtlety to high school level creative writing choices, and there is no subtlety to TSL's writing choices. The cheesy, overly long episode titles are just the latest example of this.

    Indeed...The titles almost come off as parody due to of their pretentious (and in this case, overlong and overly flowery) nature. It almost becomes unintentional self parody. It's very pompous to use Shakespeare IMO---As if the work it's used in is on caliber with his works. Though Cez compared TSL's development to the development of the Lord of the Rings...So, arrogance should be no surprise here.
    montypythonhg0450.jpg

  • We realize our game isn't going to be beloved by all--to each his or her own, and that's perfectly fine. We don't make claims that it's 'as good as Shakespeare', and saying that Cez compared TSL's development with LotR is an extremely skewed interpretation of what he said in a thread on our boards, Anakin/Perceval.

    That said, if you have constructive criticisms to offer, please feel free to do so on our forums. That's the place where we are most likely to be able to read it and, if possible, take it into account as we continue to develop Episode 5 as well as future projects.

    For those who have been enjoying the game, we appreciate your support and are glad you are enjoying it. :) We obviously welcome positive feedback too! And we'll let you know when Episode 4 is available, regardless of how long the title is or what it's source. ;)

  • Constructive criticism? Rein yourselves in a bit. Show some restraint in writing. What you leave out is often more important than what you leave in. Brevity is the soul of wit. That's honest, constructive criticism.

    You've got a beautiful looking game, with wonderful sound and music - but the storytelling leaves something to be desired. The plot elements are interesting, but the execution is overly self-indulgent.

    Bt

  • @caeska said: Just because I like the titles doesn't mean that I'm 14 or 15, if that's what you're implying. I'm 28 actually, and my impression of the episode titles are not that they're silly at all.,,

    Yeah, again, note that I said that *I* would have found it cool when I was a teenager, not that everyone would have. People's tastes develop differently, and I was speaking only for myself. And I have already offered my constructive criticism concerning the writing on your forums after ep. 1 was released -- I'm pretty sure it was the thread that made you consider offering shortened narration (a blessing, btw).

    And concerning Shakespeare... well, there was a reason he titled his plays things like "Hamlet" rather than "'Lo! My murd'rous Uncle doth stab at me and sparrows fall with special providence!". I suppose King's Quest in general bucks this trend by having somewhat longer subtitles, but still.

  • @KuroShiro said: Yeah, again, note that I said that *I* would have found it cool when I was a teenager, not that everyone would have. People's tastes develop differently, and I was speaking only for myself. And I have already offered my constructive criticism concerning the writing on your forums after ep. 1 was released -- I'm pretty sure it was the thread that made you consider offering shortened narration (a blessing, btw).

    And concerning Shakespeare... well, there was a reason he titled his plays things like "Hamlet" rather than "'Lo! My murd'rous Uncle doth stab at me and sparrows fall with special providence!". I suppose King's Quest in general bucks this trend by having somewhat longer subtitles, but still.

    You also have to remember, though, that KQ titles are not serious, but are totally tongue in cheek puns, with the exceptions of 1 & 8.

    King's Quest 1: Quest for the Crown
    King's Quest 2: Romancing the Throne (a play on the film Romancing the Stone)
    King's Quest 3: To Heir is Human (a play, ironically, on Shakepeare's "To err is human; to forgive, divine.")
    King's Quest 4: The Perils of Rosella (a play on the film The Perils of Pauline)
    King's Quest 5: Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder (A play on the phrase "Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder")
    King's Quest 6: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow (A play on "Here today, gone tomorrow)
    King's Quest 7: The Princeless Bride (a play on the film the Princess Bride)
    King's Quest 8: Mask of Eternity

    Really the only long title is KQ5's. The rest are pretty short.

  • "play on the film the Princess Bride"

    It was originally a book, btw.

  • @Anakin Skywalker said:
    King's Quest 3: To Heir is Human (a play, ironically, on Shakepeare's "To err is human; to forgive, divine.")

    Just to let ya know, that quote is from Alexander Pope, not Shakespeare.

    I know how you dig history, and if you haven't read any Pope yet - do yourself a favor and pour over some. You'll dig it.


    Bt

Add Comment