User Avatar Image

The Silver Lining thread

posted by Mike Haley on - last edited - Viewed by 3.1K users

Nobody else has posted this, so...

It looks like The Silver Lining (formerly known as King's Quest IX: Every Cloak Has a Silver Lining) will finally be released in Summer 2009. That is, if Vivindi Games (now merged with Activision) doesn't sit on its royal ass during the approval process. Unfortunately, only the first two chapters of The Silver Lining will be released. The remaining chapters (3-9) will most likely never see the light of day. According to the team, it would take 10 or more years to complete them without proper funding, which even if they had, would put their fan license in jeopardy.

It would be interesting to see if they ultimately decide to release the remaining chapters one at a time over the next few years. I hear that episodic gaming is doing fairly well...

http://www.tsl-game.com/journal/special/

Now, I just wish that SQ7.org would receive permission from Vivindi Games to be completed.

301 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @KuroShiro said:
    And concerning Shakespeare... well, there was a reason he titled his plays things like "Hamlet" rather than "'Lo! My murd'rous Uncle doth stab at me and sparrows fall with special providence!".

Love this! :D Hahaha

• @caeska said: Not only will we get more of the action sequence goodness we had in episode 3

God no. Please no!

• @Blackthorne519 said: Constructive criticism? Rein yourselves in a bit. Show some restraint in writing. What you leave out is often more important than what you leave in. Brevity is the soul of wit. That's honest, constructive criticism.

You've got a beautiful looking game, with wonderful sound and music - but the storytelling leaves something to be desired. The plot elements are interesting, but the execution is overly self-indulgent.

Bt

QFT

Thw way story is told now in the Silver Lining drove me off from the game. It has many good elements in it, but the narrative really brought it down for me.

• Meh...it's just a fangame. They can do whatever they want. If they had gotten the King's Quest license from ActiVision to produce commercial titles, THEN I'd be the first to jump the gun and defend its innocence.

• User Avatar Image
    Cez

@Blackthorne519 said: Constructive criticism? Rein yourselves in a bit. Show some restraint in writing. What you leave out is often more important than what you leave in. Brevity is the soul of wit. That's honest, constructive criticism.

You've got a beautiful looking game, with wonderful sound and music - but the storytelling leaves something to be desired. The plot elements are interesting, but the execution is overly self-indulgent.

Bt

Duly noted.

Looking at it now, I actually think our cutscene material is very strong, while our conversations with characters/narrations could use a lot of editing. But you know what they say about hindsight, right? I was too in love with my prose, that's very true.

The conversations needed an editing pass that they never got, mainly because we were scrambling to finish the script in time for when recordings started. So, Katie did a great job, but only in fixing my broken English --since it's not my native tongue and back then, it was very broken.

With narrations, we took the wrong turn when the demo feedback requested for more. I think we had the right amount back then, as we never received this type of feedback then. And then I unleashed a self-indulgent beast I should have never released.

Regardless, I think we have a strong storyline. I also think that thanks to the feedback, we've managed to make the new elements that we've included in every episode very strong and fans favorite, because we've now dedicated the time to write the right amount of text and take our time to properly edit stuff --noted by sections like the brevity of the tower narrations, or the conversations with Lt Shorty, or even the ending cutscene to Episode 3, all which have received good amount of feedback as they were edited and re-edited and touched and re-touched until they felt right.

Episode 5 was fully written taking all the feedback in consideration. The flowery prose is still there, but only used when necessary to keep up with the story tone. Gone are the long, long narrations except in few cases, where, again, the story demands more detail. And gone are also the unnecessary conversations --helped by the notion that Episode 5 is very desolate.

So we do appreciate the feedback. It has helped immensely to make every episode better and better. Episode 3 has received a lot of praise and it's because we listened to this feedback, and we'll continue to listen as we go, but there are also things we cannot change at this point without having to cause a major rework. There's also the fact that the story's tone, for what The Silver Lining is, is also one we are extremely happy with, and that is something that may not be everyone's cup of tea.

Thanks and sorry for the long email :)

• Applause-deserving post deserves applause.

• Right on Cez. That was a great post.

Bt

• @Cez said:
    The conversations needed an editing pass that they never got, mainly because we were scrambling to finish the script in time for when recordings started. So, Katie did a great job, but only in fixing my broken English --since it's not my native tongue and back then, it was very broken.

With narrations, we took the wrong turn when the demo feedback requested for more. I think we had the right amount back then, as we never received this type of feedback then. And then I unleashed a self-indulgent beast I should have never released.

*Sobs*

Thank you. THANK YOU!

With that admission, I can now die happy.

My life is complete.

• I'm glad to hear, of these improvements, and looking forward to playing the new episode...

I know I was very vocal about those issues!

• The "beast" being let loose is why there's a joke about long narrations somewhere in, I think, the IoW Garden--I was sick to death of editing them, deleted one and wrote that instead!

I still give Cez grief about that damn grapes narration in the IoW garden, heh. :P

Add Comment