User Avatar Image

Who is your favorite KQ villain?

posted by Anakin Skywalker on - last edited - Viewed by 405 users

Who is your favorite baddie in the KQ games?

38 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I'm gonna go ahead and vote "other" as my favorite is the dwarf from the KQ2 AGDI remake (he's also featured in KQ1).
    Also, "Dracula", or rather Count Caldaur is in the remake not a villain. Well he is at first technically, but I wouldn't classify him as a bad guy.

• Hah, I had to google up Dahlia, as I couldn't figure out who she was. I didn't even realize, that the gingerbread witch had a name.

• I have to go with what's probably a conventional answer: Mordack.

You have to find and infiltrate his castle. You see your beloved family suffering in that glass jar ("Tears come to Graham's eyes..."). The art and music associated with him and his castle are great. Once you got to that last part of the game, the menace of Mordack was pervasive, yet I don't remember him having much screen-time until the very end. Manannan and Alhazred were more familiar as you played which gave them a different kind of villain-ness quality for me.

• Mordack was probably the most archetypal 'Villain' (along with Alhazred) with the self-satisfied villainy and metaphorical mustache twirling, but I always found Manannan to be the better villain, both in KQ3 and as a cat. This is mostly because taking him down is so gratifying after he torments you, which I think is what makes a great video game villain as opposed to a literary one.

• KQ5 is my favourite but I have to go with Manannan. Mordack is indeed powerful and ominous. But Manannan is pure evil in every conceivable way and has been for years, considering his look. Mordack, while intimidating, just comes off as kind of a child with power who has tantrums. The much more "emotionally unreserved little brother". Not on his own, but compared to Manannan.

• @MusicallyInspired said: KQ5 is my favourite but I have to go with Manannan. Mordack is indeed powerful and ominous. But Manannan is pure evil in every conceivable way and has been for years, considering his look. Mordack, while intimidating, just comes off as kind of a child with power who has tantrums. The much more "emotionally unreserved little brother". Not on his own, but compared to Manannan.

Actually, Mordack's motive too isn't all that evil per se. He obviously cares for his brother and wants him turned back to human form.

Whereas Manannan is just plain evil, a sadistic, human hating evil wizard who gets joy out of kidnapping, imprisoning and punishing young boys and killing them at eighteen, with no remorse, sympathy or pity. He kidnaps boys simply because he can. Simply because he hates mankind. The KQ3 manual says he looked with delight upon the dragon ravaging the world of Daventry. He's just plain evil, same with Lolotte.

Malicia is a cool villain, one of those "villains you love to hate" ala Disney--perfectly captured. No Disney villains are truly scary and you can actually kind of like their character--in a "wow, this is funnily evil Villain". She reminds me of a female version of Jafar.

Abdul is like a more sophisticated version of Manannan. Less outrightly evil, more subtle, a real snake. Intelligent, cunning, and sometimes funny. He's effete, but in a classical villain sort of way. An arrogant villain who thinks he's all that, probably in love with himself. He's kind of like a darker, more developed Disney villain. I love his comment to Shamir about knocking like everybody else when Shamir just pops in. I can relate to Abdul on that one. :p

Lolotte has that Disney villain quality to her, even though her persona is kind of disturbing. But she's so based on the Witch on Wizard of Oz it's not even funny. I love her though, she's great. Pure evil to the core...Although, she does seem to genuinely love Edgar.

• Well, you've got to be somewhat evil to kidnap an entire castle of a powerful kingdom and threaten to feed the prince to a cat.

• Personally have to go with Alhazred as my favorite villain... He has most of the best lines in the series, and a great voice actor...

Add Comment