User Avatar Image

KQ7: Underrated?

posted by Anakin Skywalker on - last edited - Viewed by 1.1K users

Just as I feel KQ6 is overrated, I feel KQ7 is terribly underrated. In the other thread, I played Devil's Advocate when it was contrasted against KQ8, but KQ7 is truly a game I love. It's truly a modern fairy tale--something I think Roberta always wanted to create. I actually think KQ7 is the game she had wanted to create since the series began, as she'd always been influenced by Disney and fairy tales and the like, but never truly had the technology to create something Disney-like. KQ8 was a reaction to changing times and while she may have been proud of it--it was a reaction to the changing game climate.

But KQ7 is a very pure game; Roberta's influence on the game wasn't sullied by any suits or outside influences and the game to me is a masterpiece. It's truly like playing a Disney film, having a Disney game with you as the protagonist and it also manages to retain the KQ spirit. It's probably the most heart touching game in the series. If KQ4 is dark, eerie and urgent, KQ7 is light, beautiful and serene. It has some of the most beautiful artwork in the series--possibly the best and most wonderous game worlds besides KQ5.

It suffers from some of the same flaws KQ5 did--It was a transition game, a game which opened many doors, and as such, it was sort of a testing ground for new technology like KQ5 was. Later games like LSL 7 and SQ6 took the general idea that KQ7 had and improved on it, but even so, KQ7 stands as one of my favorite KQ games, and I wish we'd had another game or two in that Disney-esque style.

My top 5 KQ Games:
1) KQ5
2) KQ1SCI
3) KQ7
4) KQ4
5) KQ8

121 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I don't HATE KQ7, per se...but I do think it is a steaming pile of turds. Especially compared to KQ5, which I feel like is more of a gleaming, solid gold turd. ;)

• @Lambonius said: I don't HATE KQ7, per se...but I do think it is a steaming pile of turds. Especially compared to KQ5, which I feel like is more of a gleaming, solid gold turd. ;)

I would say that KQ7 is appropriately silly in places on purpose while KQ5 is annoyingly absurd in places by mere ineptitude. Sure KQ5's backgrounds are pretty, but that's about it.

• @Chyron8472 said: I would say that KQ7 is appropriately silly in places on purpose while KQ5 is annoyingly absurd in places by mere ineptitude. Sure KQ5's backgrounds are pretty, but that's about it.

I think it's over-simplifying to suggest that it was ineptitude that led to some of KQ5's questionable design elements. Through the lens of today's video games, where hand-holding is the norm and everything has to be utterly unified and connected to be considered "good," yes, KQ5 has its absurdities, and you have to wonder what the designers were thinking. But when you stack it up to other video games made at the same time, in the same day and age, KQ5 is light-years ahead in many respects. Compare it to contemporary NES games for example, or even many PC games. KQ5 was a brilliantly designed title by comparison. Context is everything here.

Now, in my opinion, KQ5 still holds up great today, but what I like in an adventure game isn't the same as what everyone else likes, and I can accept that. KQ5 has dead ends and a handful of odd puzzles by design, not by accident. You may disagree with a particular design decision, but it doesn't mean the designers didn't know what they were doing. :)

• You forgot to mention that the animal voice acting in KQ5 is so bad as to defy adequate description.

• @Chyron8472 said: You forgot to mention that the animal voice acting in KQ5 is so bad as to defy adequate description.

Again though, being one of the first games ever to be fully voiced, that sort of thing is fairly forgivable.

They certainly improved upon it in the next game of the series, but then for some reason, stepped way backwards with even WORSE voice acting in KQ7. ;)

• @Lambonius said: Again though, being one of the first games ever to be fully voiced, that sort of thing is fairly forgivable.

They certainly improved upon it in the next game of the series, but then for some reason, stepped way backwards with even WORSE voice acting in KQ7. ;)

I don't recall KQ7 having particularly horrible voice overs... then again I didn't think KQ5's were that bad either, so maybe I just have a weakness for cheese-tastic voice acting.

• Yeah, I suppose KQ7's voices weren't HORRIBLE, but they definitely weren't as good as KQ6, in my opinion. They are nowhere NEAR as good as the Sierra game that has, in my opinion, the BEST voice acting of any game they ever did--QFG4.

• The voice of Rosella in KQ5 was better than the actress that did her voice in KQ7, in my humble opinion...

She's almost chalkboard scratching annoying in KQ7... Whiny as hell...

• I never mined her voice in KQ7 personally...I never got the complaints about the voices in KQ7. I love a lot of them...The Mocking Bird, Valanice, King Otar, Oberon, the Spider (a wonderful tribute to Peter Lorre! It actually led me to look up Peter Lorre and do a drawing of his face using Windows Paint at around 8 years old--still have it), and some of the others. It's up there with my favorite KQ games of all time.

• @Anakin Skywalker said: I never minded her voice in KQ7 personally...I never got the complaints about the voices in KQ7. I love a lot of them...The Mocking Bird, Valanice, King Otar, Oberon, the Spider, and some of the others. It's up there with my favorite KQ games of all time.

I agree.

Add Comment