User Avatar Image

What they left out of the 3rd edition of the King's Quest Companion...

posted by Akril15 on - last edited - Viewed by 800 users

This is a repeat of a post I made on another forum several months ago, but I thought I'd post it again here, since some things have changed since I made the first post.

As some of you may know, there are several versions of The King's Quest Companion. The first one covers KQ1-4, the second one was expanded to include KQ5, the third added KQ6, and the fourth (and last) one covers KQ1-7. However, because of the vast amount of material KQ6 contained, one of the sections present in the first and second editions had to be removed from the third edition.

This section was called "An Encyclopedia of Daventry", and it discusses the various people, creatures, lands and entities found throughout the series, often describing their real-life origins. However, there is also a lot of "embellishment" added to the descriptions of some of the original characters by the author, and some of this embellishment is so bizarre that when I first saw some examples from the encyclopedia on the KQ Wiki, I thought that some mischievous fan was adding this info as a joke. However, I now own the 2nd edition of the KQC, and I can verify that not only are the pages where the 2nd edition of the KQC are accurate, but they're copied almost verbatim.

Here are a few of the more..."interesting" entries that I discovered:

From the entry on snow leopards:
[quote][...]Rosella speculates that the leopard might be more than just a bodyguard. It seems that fairies must spend a day each week in the form of some animal. Rosella thinks Genesta may become a female snow leopard and the regal beast she saw in Genesta's Ivory Tower is her animal husband.[/quote]
Er...o-kaaay...
(Note: The encyclopedia's entry on fairies repeats the "fairies must spend one day in the form of an animal" fact.)

And speaking of Genesta (this text is from the wiki -- it's supposed to be an actual fairy tale, but I haven't been able to find it):
[quote]Genesta once took a young boy from his parents, a foolish king and queen. Genesta promised to return the boy someday, but said they would not see him again until he was all covered with fur. She called the boy Mannikin because of his small size. He grew up to go on many adventures, aided by the good fairy Genesta. Years, later when Mannikin returned from the North Pole, Genesta arrived in a chariot drawn by eagles, bearing with her Mannikin's parents. Mannikin was wearing a fur coat, thus Genesta's promise was fulfilled.[/quote]
Wow...makes me wonder if Lolotte got the idea of stealing Edgar from Genesta.

From the pirates' entry:
[quote]All the pirates but one are now dead, the victims of a great storm spell cast upon them by Prince Alexander some weeks after his return home. The lone survivor washed up on the coast of Llewdor babbling of shipmates being consumed by sharks and others swallowed by a great squid after being crushed in its tentacles. The unfortunate man also kept whimpering a word that sounded something like "Cthulhu," but his mind had been shattered by the experience and he only continued to chatter incoherently.[/quote]
Is it just me, or does this story seem a bit...well, out of place?
"Well Mother and Father, I'd really love to spend more time with you after spending nearly 18 years as a slave to an evil wizard, but right now I've got to go sic an Elder God on some rude pirates who stole my things before they brought me here. Bye!"

On Queen Icebella:
[quote]Her consort is the changeling and werewolf, Sir Greywolf.[/quote]
What is it with the implied bestiality in this Encyclopedia!?

A bit of information from Cassima's entry (remember, this is before KQ6 was made):
[quote][Derek Karlavaegan] also mentions that Alexander and Cassima have communicated since their meeting [in Mordack's castle], but how, or where or when is unknown. Nothing is at it appears, and we know too little.[/quote]
How conveniently vague...
Other entries in the encyclopedia go on to say that during these "communications", Cassima told Alexander about Dink (the unseen monster named "Sam" is apparently his brother), the blue beast in the castle (he is somehow related to Dink, "although whether he is made from parts of Dink or his tissue is not clear"), how her locket wound up in the Roc's nest (Mordack flew with her to his castle "in the wings of a giant bird", and she dropped the locket on the way). Too bad she never told him something like...say, the location of the Kingdom of the Green Isles?

On vampires:
[quote]Derek believes vampires may be descended from the lizardfolk and not supernatural at all, having powers similar to the bat and chameleon (other species that may have descended from the lizardfolk).[/quote]
I probably shouldn't have looked up the lizardfolk's page after reading this, but I did...
[quote]The lizardfolk are [a] reptilian race that had owned the earth, and roamed the stars before the evolution of mammals that would become humanity. They crawled out of the swamps to raise gargantuan cities and ruled the stars for untold millions of years. Their race died out, disappearing into oblivion, victims of arcane sorceries from beyond the Multiverse itself. The insane and incomprehensible magics (the very sounds which cannot be conceived nor reproduced by humans) that destroyed the lizards may exist still. [/quote]
...I got nothing.

According to An Encyclopedia of Daventry, the winged horse in KQ2 is indeed Pegasus, who was born from the blood of the gorgon Medusa after she was killed by Perseus. However, this raises the quandary of how Medusa is alive in KQ3. A look at her page in the Omni reveals that:
[quote]There are hints that this Medusa is the same one Perseus killed. How she came to be alive again is unknown.[/quote]
No kidding.

51 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Looking back at the Narnia books, in The Magician's Nephew there's a magical tree in a walled garden, on which grow silver apples. The tree is guarded by a phoenix nesting in its branches. The book's hero, Digory, gains a fruit from the tree and gives it to his seriously ill mother, who is healed by eating it.

This actually was likely inspired directly from the Biblical Tree of Life, C.S. Lewis was known for inserting a large amount of Biblical allegory into his stories. The walled off garden is inspired by Eden. Infact, much of the Magician's Nephew is inspired from the story of Creation!

For instance, in its tale Prince Narcissus and the Princess Potentilla the hero uses a magic ring, which when worn grants invisibility, to court a princess without being observed by an evil enchanter, who also covets her hand. This may well have inspired the magic ring of invisibility in KQ1. (As in KQ1, and most unlike the One Ring in Lord of the Rings, this ring is not malevolent in any way.)

Magic Rings are a dime a dozen in fairy tales actually.

Tolkien's one ring, originally wasn't 'malevolent' that's a retcon made in LOTR Trilogy. Originally it was inspired by many of the traditional invisible rings of legend. In the original edition of the Hobbit, there was nothing malevolent about it (and how Bilbo obtained the ring was different), and the story was intended to be a children's fairy tale..

LOTR then drew inspiration from the Ring of Nibelung, which presented one such ring as a ring of world domination.

Peter Spear suggests that the inspiration behind the invisible ring in KQ is a fairy tale in which a ring is given to Rosimond by a fairy he encountered in the woods and talked to (not unlike Graham encountering an elf, and receiving a ring after talking to him).

"Rosimond was given an enchanted ring by a fairy. This ring was gold with a diamond in its center, if the diamond were turned, it would render the ring's wearer invisible. The ring also had the power to give its wearer the shape of the king's son. At first the ring seemed a great gift, but grief and sorrow followed it everywhere. In the end, Rosimond returned the ring to the fairy, saying that it is dangerous to have more power than the rest of the world."

Note that Rosimond's ring is also one of the rings that suggest to have world powerful connotations, but also negative aspects (brings grief and sorrow). Albeit its not near as negative as the one in LOTR.

Rosimond also originates from the Green Book, the story is, 'The Enchanted Ring'! Other titles of the story include 'Rosimond and Braminte'.
    There's also Prince Featherhead and the Princess Celandine, whose heroine hails from the Summer Islands. Possibly this was an inspiration for the Green Isles, home of Princess Cassima, first mentioned in KQ5

I think there may also be inspiration from island hopping tales like Gulliver's Travels and Voyage of the Dawn Treader, in which each island visited includes progressively interesting cultures, and themes.

Obviously each island also is drawn upon various fairy tales and myth as well.

• Wow, there are a lot of really dumb things listed here from the KQCs. But one that really stands out is the concept of the theory of evolution existing in a world based in Fantasy. That and the lizard people being a high tech race.

• That's actually a DND reference or so I've been told actually. Along with the reference to Talanore and the multiverse.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelljammer
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lizardfolk
    Actually wikipedia discusses the spacefaring lizardfolk variant there. It's the obvious inspiration, and confirms the author was a total nerd, lol.

There was also a fantasy cartoon from the 80's or 90's that had a similar premise.

As far as evolution in KQ, KQ6, more specifically the Guidebook claims that the Winged Ones evolved from the Ancient Ones!

Evolution can easily be adapted into a fantasy setting.

• I see what you are saying and I will say that Spelljammer was an awesome campaign setting. But I still think that both takes way from the fairy tale feeling of King's Quest, but that could just be me. BTW, I belive the show you are talking about is Dinosaucers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uhZ8l56_p8

Correct me if I am wrong.

• I don't think it bothers me personally since most of the lizardfolk references applies more to Earth's history (the world of the editor) as opposed to the World of Daventry itself. The book has a kinda Longest Journey vibe to it, world of science vs the world of fantasy. Great series if you haven't played it.

I suppose Narnia also has the touch of real world and alternative fantasy world as well. So it's a common fantasy concept.

Chronotrigger and Chronocross also pulled the the whole technologically advanced lizard race/evolution/fantasy premise with the Reptites. so maybe this concept isn't as alien to me...outside my personal suspension of disbelief.

As for dinosaucers that may very well be it!

• The thing to remember as far as the truth of anything in the compendium is concerned... it is written by Derek Karlavaegan.

Anything said in it represents things he believes or simply heard and wrote down. In that sense, anything he says can be wrong. And if the games contradict it, we can choose to see that as being to case.

Therefore, the companion *could* be both completely canon and contain misinformation. Nothing he *says* in it need be true for the book to be canon, because if it is canon, it simply means the authors have created this character in Daventry, by the name of Derek Karlavaegan, and he wrote this fictitious book... which could be full of rumors, superstitions or even lies! (though I don't think Derek is actively trying to deceive).

And if the authors were trying to do this creative device justice (the fictitious author device) there probably would be some falsities because being an imperfect author writing about something he has little ability to verify, they are bound to make their way in there!

• I believe he's the one who came up with idea that Hagatha is the third sibling to Mordack and Manannan. Something Roberta refuted.

• @MusicallyInspired said: I believe he's the one who came up with idea that Hagatha is the third sibling to Mordack and Manannan. Something Roberta refuted.

Yeah but it was also included in King's Questions, which was a Sierra product not designed or written by Peter Spear. So the idea comes from SOMEWHERE.

Consider also: Roberta didn't even know the Black Cloak Society made it into the final version of KQ6 until fans began asking questions about it; It was only an idea loosely bandied about in early story sessions.

And: In the KQC, Edgar is speculated as being the son of a fisherman. In early ideas for KQ8, Roberta had the idea that Connor would be the son of a fisherman.

Also, in the KQC, it's mentioned that Castle Daventry is rumored to have secret entrances as well as portals which allow for teleportation to other parts of the world. In KQ8, the main Castle Daventry has secret entrances (the waterfall) and the Old Castlekeep of Daventry has a portal which allows for teleportation to other parts of the world.

Also, InterAction Magazine claimed Roberta had detailed biographical and general personality information on all her characters; It claimed, for example, that she could even tell you such minutia as what Rosella's favorite color is.

Spear was not only in touch with Ken and John Williams, who were really in favor of it, but also in touch with Jane Jensen and Eluki bes Shahar (another Sierra employee). And the book got it's blessing from Roberta and if I recall correctly, Spear was allowed access to Roberta's personal notes on the games.

• Ken Williams has mentioned on his website before, IIRC, that Roberta even got a chance to read through the King's Quest Companions to help give her input before it was even published (that's why the first edition went to print with her approval stamped on the back).

Infact, in the acknowledgements page, Peter Spear claims he worked with Roberta on at least the first, 2nd and 3rd editions! Especially on the KQ5 edition, and the 3rd Edition. Roberta went as much to give her own support of the books, which were printed on the backcovers!

He also claimed to have worked with her and Lorelei Shannon on the KQ7 material in the KQ7: Authorized Guide/4th Edition. This is also why he knew of several behind the scenes details, and cut material for the games!

It's interesting that some of his material actually made it into the games, directly referenced for example, Cedric turned to stone, appears in the updated script by Roberta used in the KQ5 for the NES...

KQ5 also makes references to the 'royal physicians' who weren't able to find a cure for Graham's Heart Attack, which was first established in his KQ4 novelization!

Peter Spear had a relation with the Williams that many of only wish we could have had! He sort of became a kind of PR for Sierra, let in on all kinds of projects, largely before anyone else got to see them! A strong friendship developed apparently, or so I've been told (when I had a chance to interview him).

The book even goes into that they first met, when Peter was sent in to interview her at a trade show about new game she had developed back in 1983 or so. After that they started inviting him to Sierra for many other things.
    Yeah but it was also included in King's Questions, which was a Sierra product not designed or written by Peter Spear. So the idea comes from SOMEWHERE.

As I understand it Josh Mandel wrote most of the questions for that game! The artwork in the game (which is based on the world of Daventry as established in the Companion) was done by Michael Hutchison, the senior artist from KQ6...
    And: In the KQC, Edgar is speculated as being the son of a fisherman. In early ideas for KQ8, Roberta had the idea that Connor would be the son of a fisherman.

BTW, the book never says that Edgar was the 'son of a fisherman', it says that 'people rumored he was the son of a drugged slave or a malevolent wizard".... I.E. it states clearly these were only 'rumors".

Eluki bes Shahar (another Sierra employee).
    She was not a Sierra employee... Never was... She is a professional novelist (fantasy, scifi and romances), her real name Rosmary Edghill (eluki bes shahar is one of her professional pseudonyms, or vice versa, not sure which)... She had no connection to Sierra, except that Sierra commisioned her to write the KQ6 novel for the Companion. Actually she was commisioned by Jane Jensen from what I've been able to find out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosemary_Edghill

http://www.sff.net/people/eluki/

You can find more, plus cited editorial information here;
    http://kingsquest.wikia.com/wiki/The_King's_Quest_Companion#Sierra.27s_Involvement

• I'm just saying, Roberta has definitely refuted Hagatha being the sibling of Mordack and Manannan.

Add Comment