User Avatar Image

What is You Favourite Monkey Island Chapter? (Chapter, not game)

posted by Hayden on - last edited - Viewed by 1.1K users

The 'what is your favourite MI game?' threads have been done to death, so I thought I'd go a little deeper and ask people what their favourite Monkey Island chapter is. With 23 in total, there is a lot of choice there, and it allows you to pick your single favourite part of all the games, and not just your favourite entire game.

The poll will be up shortly.

Edit: It's up, so get voting, people!

50 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Its a refrence to the film "The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover".

• @apenpaap said: I think the order is The Thieves, the Bartender, his Aunt, and her Lover, because Minnie is Griswold's aunt, not King André's.

Sorry, but the correct name is: "The Bartender, the Thieves, His Aunt, and Her Lover", because the name has to fit the title of the original movie, The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover. Plus, André is one of "the Thieves", and the "Bartender" in the first part followed by the "Bartender's Aunt" in the third part is the only way that needs to be correct in many cases.

• Didn't even have to think about it. The 4 map pieces. Excellent puzzles.

• Glad to see some others shared my view of Four Map Pieces being the best, with Blood Island and Trials of GT coming in close behind. However, I am surprised how few seem to like Largo Embargo. It set the scene very well indeed, was well drawn, characters and puzzles were clever and funny.

@Whoever 'likes' GT kicks Unusually Large Butt, you're not as funny as you thought, sorry.

• Launch of the Screaming Narwhal.

I like it.

• @tbm1986 said: @Whoever 'likes' GT kicks Unusually Large Butt, you're not as funny as you thought, sorry.

Maybe they liked the ultimate insult cutscene.

• Part 1 - The Three Trials

That was pretty cool and tricky.

Part 2 - The Journey

For me this part is not very creative and way too short

Part 3 - Beneath Monkey Island (I think)

Not as good as part one, but i like it.

Last Part - Guybrush Kicks Butt

Typical Finale. A bit short, and too easy.

Part 1 - The Largo Embargo

A really good beginning, for a genious game. After beating that chapter, youre totally into the game.

Part 2 - The Four Pieces (Or was it The Four Map Pieces?)

I love this chapter. This is the point where this game really starts. Maybe the best. It's quite long and tricky, and you can move between 3 islands. I like this, complex, and tricky.

Part 3 - LeChucks Fortress

This is a bit like "The journey". A bit short. Don't like it so much.

Last Part - Dinky Island

I like that. Especially the thing with the Le Chuck Voodoo Doll.

Part 1 - The Demise of the Zombie Pirate LeChuck

Unique beginning, cause its very short for an opening chapter. But its very funny, and a cool appetizer for the rest of the game. Something like a prologue.

Part 2 - The Curse Get's Worse

Typical good monkey Island chapter.

Part 3 - Three Sheet's to the Wind

Very unique, untypical chapter. I like ;)

Part 4 - The Bartender, His Aunt, The Thief and her Lover (No idea if this is right, this is such a long chapter title!!!)

This is nearly as good as "The curse gets worse". I like that little trip to Skull Island. Reminds me on the little trip in Le Chucks Revenge with Kate, or the little trip in EFMI to Knuttin.

Part 5 - (Honestly can't remember)

I dont like that so much. Too short and unlogical. A bit like "The journey"

Part 6 - Guybrush Kicks Butt Once Again

Thats okay. Typical ending.

Okay its not really a chapter but you forgot the Prologue of this game. So Efmi is the only Monkey island game with a little Prologue before Chapter/Act 1.

Act 1 - Things to do on Melee Island When Your Dead

I like this one. Not too short, and very appetizing for the rest of the game.

Act 2 - Enter The Manatee

This is one of my favourite chapter of all MI-Games. Maybe a lot of people have a different opinion, but for me this chapter has the quality of the "Four Map pieces" chapter. There is a lot of tripping between Islands. Its complex and tricky.

Act 3 - Escape From Monkey Island

This is a really good chapter. After the prologue and 2 really good following chapters youre quite surprised that there is still enough work 2 do.

Act 3+ - Guybrush Kicks Unusually Large Butt

This is maybe the best Monkey Island Finale.

Chapter 1 - Launch of the Screaming Narwhal
    Chapter 2 - The Siege of Spinner Cay
    Chapter 3 - Liar of the Leviathan
    Chapter 4 - The Trail and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood
    Chapter 5 - Rise of the Pirate God

Unfortunately i did not play Tales yet. Beat me. :p
    I would play it, if there would be a version for PS3 with german voice over. I bought the PC-Version with german voice over. But i have to wait till i got a working pc. :rolleyes:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My favourite Chapter is "The four map pieces".

But "Enter the Manatee" is close to it.

• @Spooky666 said: Okay its not really a chapter but you forgot the Prologue of this game. So Efmi is the only Monkey island game with a little Prologue before Chapter/Act 1.

I didn't forget anything. This thread purely lists named chapters and the begging part of EMI has no name. The only name I forgot was the 'Kiss of the Spider Monkey' part from CMI which is a OK part, but it's also forgettable.

@Spooky666 said: This is one of my favourite chapter of all MI-Games. Maybe a lot of people have a different opinion, but for me this chapter has the quality of the "Four Map pieces" chapter. There is a lot of tripping between Islands. Its complex and tricky.

Your definitely in the minority, but don't worry about it. I personally felt EMI was still a decent game.

@Spooky666 said: This is maybe the best Monkey Island Finale.

You can tell you haven't played Tales yet :P I don't want to spoil anything but let's just say this is the 2nd best ending imo :)

@Spooky666 said: Unfortunately i did not play Tales yet. Beat me. :p
    I would play it, if there would be a version for PS3 with german voice over. I bought the PC-Version with german voice over. But i have to wait till i got a working pc. :rolleyes:

Why do you need to wait? You English seems excellent!

@Spooky666 said: My favourite Chapter is "The four map pieces".

But "Enter the Manatee" is close to it.

I disagree on this. I love 'The Four Map Pieces', but I feel Enter the Manatee is average (still good though). I think probably 'The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood' (chapter 4 of ToMI) is my favourite, mostly due to the unique and fantastic ending to the chapter! :D

• Why do you need to wait? You English seems excellent!

I mean, i would not have any understanding-problems with an english version. But thats not the point.

Since "Curse" I'm used to play MI-Games with german voice over. I'm just used to it. So for me its a matter of "enjoyment", not a matter of understanding or not understanding a language.

The other thing is, i don't like download-content. :D

I think its a matter of taste. I know, there are a lot of germans that even prefer playing an MI-Game with english voice over.

Anyway. By the time, i'll have enough money for a new pc, i will play my german "Tales".

It's already bought, so Telltale already got my money. :-)

You can tell you haven't played Tales yet :P I don't want to spoil anything but let's just say this is the 2nd best ending imo

Hope so :-)

Your definitely in the minority, but don't worry about it. I personally felt EMI was still a decent game.

For me it always feels like most people hate EFMI only cause of the graphics and the keyboard controls.

I definately think the games content is underrated.

• @Spooky666 said: For me it always feels like most people hate EFMI only cause of the graphics and the keyboard controls.

I definately think the games content is underrated.

For me it was the controls on the PC version, the loading times on the PS2 version and the plot holes that put me off a bit. But having said that I do still enjoy EMI, I just enjoy Curse, MI2 and Tales more. (I like EMI about the same as MI1, I grew up with MI1 so it's nostalgic, but it is still slow paced compared to the others imo).

Add Comment