User Avatar Image

King's Quest V vs. King's Quest VI

posted by Anakin Skywalker on - last edited - Viewed by 773 users

It seems that among the fanbase there is a divide, with one side generally feeling that KQVI (and the direction it represents) is the way the series should go, and the other feeling the same about KQV.

So I wanted to put them up against each other, get some discussion. Can be about any aspect of the game: Graphics, music, characters, story, world(s), etc--Any and all aspects of both games put up against each other.

45 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Cez said: Actually....

Sorry for turning this back on you, but your statement is true but not exactly correctly worded.

The correct statement would be "KQ7 and KQ8 got the shaft because they weren't KQ5". KQ6, after all, is the perfected child of KQ5.

:)

I'm saying in the eyes of the masses, they got the shaft because they weren't KQ6 Part II and III. Not in my eyes.

• I actually felt that KQ2+ successfully combined both feels from KQ5 and KQ6.

• I like both of these games (KQ5 and KQ6) pretty much equally, personally... KQ8, is a close third...

KQ2 is probably my favorite KQ game.

• @MusicallyInspired said: I actually felt that KQ2+ successfully combined both feels from KQ5 and KQ6.

I'm not sure I agree with this. I don't think any of AGDI's games managed to fully capture the feel of KQ5 and/or 6. KQ2+ was a very enjoyable game that certainly felt King's Questy, but the amateurish elements of some of its production values (particularly the terrible voice acting--with the exception of Josh Mandel--and the poorly drawn character closeups) always reminded me that what I was playing was a pale imitation of the original masterworks.

KQ3Redux comes closest, largely due to better production values overall, particularly in the music (which absolutely MAKES the game, in my opinion--kudos, MI), but inconsistent quality in some of the visuals and spotty voice acting still hold it back for me.

Now, I realize that KQ5 didn't have great voice acting either. But it was KQ5. ;)

• I'm not talking on a quality level, merely a King's Quest-y adventures atmosphere level. In story approach and puzzle approach. And I don't think a lot of the voice acting was THAT bad.

And thank you. :)

• I like them both, but favor KQ5. When I think of all the things I love about KQ, KQ5 pulls them together better than KQ6, in a holistic way I can't really explain. I can certainly see why KQ6 is usually considered the better game; but on a personal, subjective level, somehow KQ5 comes out ahead.

For instance, one thing I always thought made KQ special is how there's always something different to surprise and delight you on (nearly) every screen. I thought KQ5 was the epitome of this, and its "delights" were my favorites along with those in KQ4. In KQ6, the landscape was thematically fragmented, so it was more coherent and the whimsical elements didn't come quite so unexpectedly or haphazardly. Maybe most KQ fans see that as a plus, but I don't.

I like deep, complex stories as much as the next adventure-gamer -- in most cases. I enjoyed KQ6's plot and I love the intricate stories in GK. But I would so much prefer to have KQ be an exception, to keep it as a simple fairy-tale where magical things happen for no apparent reason and motivations do not require detailed explanation.

• I guess it's just a question of personal taste. KQ5 wins for me. I love the "aweful" voice acting, as others may call it and prefer it over the boring voice acting in KQ6 any day. But that's just me.
    Most people will say that Cedric is annoying but I think the bookstore-guy from KQ6 is a lot worse. And if I ever have to hear that "Alexander pulls out his magic map" line from that narrator again I'm going to punch my speakers.

• @MusicallyInspired said: I'm not talking on a quality level, merely a King's Quest-y adventures atmosphere level. In story approach and puzzle approach. And I don't think a lot of the voice acting was THAT bad.

And thank you. :)

Yeah, I suppose I was talking more production values wasn't I? But then, production values are such a big part of creating the atmospheric feel of a game.

Actually though, in terms of this "feel," I'd still say that KQ2+ feels different to me. At least, different from KQ5/6. Something about the fairly non-linear layout of the land of Kolyma and the amount of wandering you had to do back and forth through mostly forested locals always reminded me more of KQ1SCI than KQ5. The story elements are too convoluted to feel fully like KQ5, and honestly, too fan-fictiony (whatever that means) to feel like KQ6. As much as I prefer the tone of KQ5 to KQ6, there's no denying that KQ6 is a very tightly written tale. KQ2+'s story just doesn't feel quite as polished to me.

• @thom-22 said: I like them both, but favor KQ5. When I think of all the things I love about KQ, KQ5 pulls them together better than KQ6, in a holistic way I can't really explain. I can certainly see why KQ6 is usually considered the better game; but on a personal, subjective level, somehow KQ5 comes out ahead.

For instance, one thing I always thought made KQ special is how there's always something different to surprise and delight you on (nearly) every screen. I thought KQ5 was the epitome of this, and its "delights" were my favorites along with those in KQ4. In KQ6, the landscape was thematically fragmented, so it was more coherent and the whimsical elements didn't come quite so unexpectedly or haphazardly. Maybe most KQ fans see that as a plus, but I don't.

I like deep, complex stories as much as the next adventure-gamer -- in most cases. I enjoyed KQ6's plot and I love the intricate stories in GK. But I would so much prefer to have KQ be an exception, to keep it as a simple fairy-tale where magical things happen for no apparent reason and motivations do not require detailed explanation.

This is a great post. I agree almost completely.

• I prefer King's Quest VI I think. I still believe KQV is a close second, and one of the best games of the genre, but KQ6 sticks out more in my memory. I remember being blown away as a kid, by the CGI introduction (Which doesn't look real great by today's standards). I think the game feels big and epic with its man types of locations and very nice graphics with good voice acting mostly. I'd agree that it does feel a little more more little kidsy than KQV though.

Add Comment