User Avatar Image

Star Trek discussion

posted by Chyron8472 on - last edited - Viewed by 504 users

There is a thread about Star Wars, so I'm creating one about Star Trek.
Anything Star Trek, not just games.

First, I've been looking around for downloadable Star Trek games to no avail. It would seem that I'm not the best at taking care of my old PC game media, and as such am not able to readily locate my Armada, Armada II, Away Team or A Final Unity CDs.

Fortunately, I often made disc images of games that I own, but it still would be rather nice if I could buy these online, or to expand my library with such as Starfleet Command or Bridge Commander.

75 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Star Trek was long dying. It needed a reboot. I still think it was the best way to do it. And like I said earlier, there's always Star Trek Online which takes place in the prime timeline 40 years after Nemesis and acknowledges the events of Abrams' Star Trek before the time travel.

• You guys are missing the point. Star Trek is great and all but it's something its not now, it's been diminished to a flashy space action film with little intellectual property left for it, it doesn't make an impressive quantum argument for itself, fans of the film do that for it.

If anything it takes beloved characters and rewrite their entire backgrounds and uses it as a excuse to make a new Star Trek movie. He's a hack....

Who the FCK cares what he thinks alternate universe or not he's hack, he took the franchise as his own, made lame excuses under artistic license, changed, ruined, hacked everything Star Trek is about. He should of used his own material but instead he took nostalgia and ruined it...

Any true fan would be like , meh...

Stupid changes, as bad as Jar Jar and little Anakin Skywalker. Oh My God...

The argument he has made is weak, and ultimately self serving and it comes down to him milking a franchise in his own vision , and he single handedly destroyed everything star trek stood for to make his alternate universe BS that Hollywood will now feed off of. *BEEEP* him!

In the 60s, Gene had such amazing , deeply intellectual ideas that they couldn't even air the episodes! This guy is no visionary, people give him too strong of a case, argument, when in actual fact his argument, case is WEAK and he is a WEAK artist milking nostalgia and warping and perverting everything that nostalgia is about.

*BEEP* him!

I rather see it die, honestly. I rather would, than some half brained artist come along, take Gene's TOS and just create his alternate Star Trek. WTF?

He should have thought of something more original or made his own movie series inspired off of star Trek, I could have respected that.

URGH! What the hell....what the hell?

Updating the content for future generations would have been one thing, but warping and perverting the material to a flashy, low substance, I've seen it once in my life film,ooooh it's modern and all colorful....oooooh. WHAT A INSULT! It's not even the same sort of material as before, it lacks most if not all intellectual substance a film could have!

It focuses on writting the characters in a common, practical , mostly expected way, that is typical of movies, but not even true to the star trek character universe. *BEEEEEEP* him

There are no real similarities here , there is no star trek, it's not rebooted, it's not saved. It's ARGHGHGHGHHGHGHGHGHGH!

• What you're saying Doodo is that you're a more philosophical/cerebral kind of person, and from your point of view, shows from the Prime universe are largely more thought provoking while this new movie is conversely filled with eye candy.

I can see why you might be upset, but I really do disagree. Star Trek needs to do more than appeal to only its hardcore fanbase. I've recently watched several behind the scenes clips on youtube for this movie, and at one point they talk about how they had various people such as a very hardcore Trek fan, a moderate fan, a casual fan, and a newbie to the franchise and how they tried to develop Trek such that it would have appeal to each one of these people.

Where I come at it is this: I loved Enterprise, and I was very disappointed when they cancelled it after season 4 (when TNG, VOY and DS9 had seven). Unfortunately, I could see how one might not get into it if they weren't already a Trek fan held over from other shows (given the level of wonderful fanservice), and so I can see why Trek needs to evolve if it plans to stay alive and successful for future installments. If the existing fanbase can't support Enterprise past the fourth season, then Trek needs to widen its fanbase by creating wider appeal.

• I'm really impressed, you showed me respect even when I trashed something you enjoy, love. Impressive! I'm very impressed, most people would have attacked me. I don't want to imply I'm cerebral philosophical, my friend. I'm very impressed.

I let myself go on this, just to see that interaction. I hadn't expected such a impressive result. Thank you.

I feel strong vibrations in you, the force is strong with this one (XD) . Wow, that was not a typical or anticipated response to such a rant.

• @doodo! said: I'm really impressed, you showed me respect even when I trashed something you enjoy, love. Impressive! I'm very impressed, most people would have attacked me.

You're not required to like the new movie. I'm just saying that there is evidence to support that Trek can't survive if it doesn't find appeal to the market, which apparently Enterprise did not (much to my dismay.)

I don't want to imply I'm cerebral philosophical, my friend. I'm very impressed.

But you are. Why else would you have so many "musings" on these forums? As such, I can see why something with less philosophy and more action would have lesser appeal.

However, [insert humorously facetious "I'm right and you're wrong" line here] :D

• You...are a strange duck, doodo. I don't take anything you say seriously. I can't.

• You know what doodo, I'm going to say that you apparently have no idea what you're talking about. Every person that's been involved in Star Trek over the past 50 years has said that it has remained true to Roddenberry's vision. And that's including Gene's son.

Also, a lot of old school Trek fans enjoyed it. Second time I went to see it, an older gentleman was sitting nearby and he said as the credits rolled, "I've been a fan of Star Trek since the first episode aired, and this was fantastic."

So yeah...what is it that he saw in the film that you apparently didn't?

• Speaking about the new film, I'm actually pleased that Damon Lindelof is involved with writing it this time around as I feel that he was one of the better writers for Lost (even including the finale) and the script/story can only benefit from his involvement.

• Well, even if the reboot wasn't to the liking of some of the die-hard fans, they do have hundreds of episodes to fall back on to watch instead.

Personally, I view films on their own merits. Sure Star Trek XI wasn't pure star trek, but it was still a fantastic film. I loved it. (Although not as much as I liked "First Contact, the motion picture or the one with the refugees.) That's probably the reason I love the Star wars prequels. Sure they're different from the originals (focussing on one man's life struggles as he turns to the darkside, turning against hundreds of allies, instead of a small group turning against an evil dictator from the get go. One trilogy is all about emotions, whilst the other more about purpose.)

• @Shadowknight1 said: You know what doodo, I'm going to say that you apparently have no idea what you're talking about. Every person that's been involved in Star Trek over the past 50 years has said that it has remained true to Roddenberry's vision. And that's including Gene's son.

Also, a lot of old school Trek fans enjoyed it. Second time I went to see it, an older gentleman was sitting nearby and he said as the credits rolled, "I've been a fan of Star Trek since the first episode aired, and this was fantastic."

So yeah...what is it that he saw in the film that you apparently didn't?

You named one person, not really convincing, even if it's his son, who didn't write episodes, mind you or work on them, as far as I'm concerned. Not the mention the fat check that went to the family.

And a lot of old school Trek fans didn't enjoy it.

Wheres your argument? I don't see it...

Peace....

Musically Inspired, the way I look at I'm not glued to any word, moment, my whole life is a illusion or lie, or acting, or speaking, and then speaking like math it adds up or subtracts from idea and then I interpret things in my own way and this whole reality is rather pointless, because I honestly don't even feel truly alive.

Add Comment