User Avatar Image

King's Quest V vs. King's Quest VI

posted by Anakin Skywalker on - last edited - Viewed by 962 users

It seems that among the fanbase there is a divide, with one side generally feeling that KQVI (and the direction it represents) is the way the series should go, and the other feeling the same about KQV.

So I wanted to put them up against each other, get some discussion. Can be about any aspect of the game: Graphics, music, characters, story, world(s), etc--Any and all aspects of both games put up against each other.

45 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @der_ketzer said: Most people will say that Cedric is annoying but I think the bookstore-guy from KQ6 is a lot worse.

Dude, are you dissing Scooby-Doo/Droopy/Boo Boo Bear himself?

@der_ketzer said: And if I ever have to hear that "Alexander pulls out his magic map" line from that narrator again I'm going to punch my speakers.

And now you're dissing Flint from GI Joe?!

That does it. You, my friend...are clearly not as obsessed with voice acting legends as I am. But if you say anything negative about Tony Jay, I'll write a MUCH more strongly-worded post! :P

• I prefer KQ5 purely because of nostalgia - it was the first King's Quest title I ever played. I just love the setting/atmosphere.

But I acknowledge that in terms of writing and design, KQ6 is way ahead of it. It's a lot more fleshed out and doesn't give you nearly as much grief for the tiniest of mistakes. If a non-fan of the series asks me which one to play first, this is the one I recommend.

About the voice-overs, never cared much for them in either game. KQ5 had some pretty bad ones, but KQ6 did too.

• @doggans said: Dude, are you dissing Scooby-Doo/Droopy/Boo Boo Bear himself?

Yes.

@doggans said: And now you're dissing Flint from GI Joe?!

Oh yes!

• *sigh* No respect for the legends of the past.

//24 year old curmudgeon :P

• I think the deciding factor here is nostalgia, more often than not... in my case, that's probably the case as I find myself enjoying them about equally, though in different ways.
    I suspect it's because I feel more nostalgic about Kings Quest 5, as I was really young when I played that one and so I played it for very long.

However, when looking at the games as 'objectively' as I can, I'd have to say I think Kings Quest 6 is the better game... it just seems much more thought out and well designed. The storyline definitely is much better and more interesting, KQ5 is like the previous games that really were mainly simple treasure hunts and not something primarily played for engaging storylines.

I guess that's maybe why many people prefer Kings Quest 5, as even if we had all agreed Kings Quest 6 is the better game, Kings Quest 5 is still undoubtably the most traditional Kings Quest type of game.

• @doggans said: *sigh* No respect for the legends of the past.

//24 year old curmudgeon :P

*28 years old but never heard those voices before since he lives in another country*

• @der_ketzer said: *28 years old but never heard those voices before since he lives in another country*

Ignorance is no excuse. :p

Basically what I hear you saying is that you don't like the KQ6 voice work as much as KQ5's because you don't know better. :D

• @Chyron8472 said: Ignorance is no excuse. :p

Basically what I hear you saying is that you don't like the KQ6 voice work as much as KQ5's because you don't know better. :D

Nah. I'm saying I like KQ5s voices better because they don't make me strangle a kitten.

• and I like KQ6's better because it doesn't make me want to shoot every owl I find, or run screaming from the room as during the ants' haystack-search song for fear I'll die of embarrassment.

• @Chyron8472 said: and I like KQ6's better because it doesn't make me want to shoot every owl I find, or run screaming from the room as during the ants' haystack-search song for fear I'll die of embarrassment.

you are weird.
    :D

Add Comment