Menu
User Avatar Image

eBook Readers

posted by Chyron8472 on - last edited - Viewed by 781 users

Do many of you have an e-book reader? (eg. Amazon Kindle, Barnes & Noble Nook, Sony PRS) iPad/iPod/iPhone only counts if you intend on reading books with it.

What are your thoughts about these devices or what impact it might mean for paper books? What has your experience been with them? Do you have any gripes with things you wish they would change/improve?

I know we've had random or off-topic discussions about e-books and readers, but I thought I'd start an official thread about it.

80 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Yeah.... I found that out after... Its ok though.

• I dunno.... it was an impulse buy... Something I am prone to.

• I just now heard about Amazon's new line of Kindle e-book readers.

Amazon finally has an answer to Barnes & Noble's new Nook, with a touchscreen capable Kindle. They also have an $80 Kindle that has an onscreen keyboard but is navigable with face buttons instead of touchscreen.

And finally, Amazon's response to the iPad. The Kindle Fire.

It all looks pretty nice, if you ask me.

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

@Chyron8472 said: I just now heard about Amazon's new line of Kindle e-book readers.

I can't believe they haven't discounted the old line after launching the new one! Are they planning to maintain the old keyboard line as well or something?

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@puzzlebox said: I can't believe they haven't discounted the old line after launching the new one! Are they planning to maintain the old keyboard line as well or something?

I think they did discount the old line... or is that Europe only? The kindle I had my eye on dropped from 139€ to 119€ in the last two days.

@puzzlebox said:
    What are your thoughts about these devices or what impact it might mean for paper books? What has your experience been with them? Do you have any gripes with things you wish they would change/improve?

I love books. I love big and pompous bindings. I studied literature for a reason. But I also am in a living situation which could change pretty suddenly, so when I come home and look at all the stuff I'd have to transport in a move, I start to panic. I'm not sure how healthy that is, but I started discarding and selling old stuff on a regular basis so I could move out faster. I also seldom buy weighty things, and I keep my inventory very slim, so to speak. Compared to other people, my move would be no problem at all.

That said, buying books is always a pain considering what I'm trying to achieve there. ;) So are DVDs and Blu-Rays, but they are significantly less heavy. I do not yet own a kindle, but it seems that investment is just around the corner. Last month I read the Count of Monte Christo, and that is a serious biggie. On kindle, it weighs almost nothing and is possibly available for free (even a German version??). And as much as I love books, those without illustrations would be nicer to read on a slim digital device.

Still, NEW books on kindle seem seriously overpriced. They're just as costly as their non-digital counterparts. In Germany, books are even more expensive (for reason of a law in effect since 1888, the "Buchpreisbindung", price drops are virtually impossible for publishing houses and bookstores without actually damaging the books and/or writing on them in large letters that they are damaged. Sounds very strange, I know). I'm not sure I could buy books at full price in the kindle store, and I would love to read some German stuff again for a change.

• As far as I can tell, the pricing for the Kindle 3 (now called "Kindle Keyboard") is the same as it was. They just priced the new Kindle Touch at a similar price point to the Kindle 3. From what I reading, the pricing is:

Kindle, Wi-fi only (onscreen keyboard accessed with a physical d-pad)
    $79 with "Special Offers" on home screen and screensaver
    $109 without ads

Kindle Touch / Kindle Keyboard
    -Wi-fi only: $99 with "Special Offers" ; $139 without ads
    -w/ free 3G: $149/$139 with "Special Offers" for Touch/Keyboard respectively ; $189 without ads

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005890G8O

It doesn't appear to me that the ads on the home screen are that obtrusive, and if I may say, the default screensaver images on my Kindle 2 and my mom's Kindle 3 are not that great... unless you like looking at a creepy-looking sketch of Emily Dickinson or Jules Verne. Granted, I hacked my Kindle to change the images, but I gather most people won't do that. So then I would guess that a picture of some beach with a VISA logo in the corner wouldn't be that bad.

• I just bought the $79 kindle. From what I've heard the ads are not obtrusive at all.

• @Amy Lukima said: I just bought the $79 kindle. From what I've heard the ads are not obtrusive at all.

Yeah, I think I'd definitely get one at that price if they offered it over here (Instead we only have the non-advert ones on sale/pre-orderable). From what I've heard the adverts are basically a small banner underneath your book list, and a big advert instead of the screensaver.

Personally, I love the look of the new Kindle fire, but that probably won't be heading UK ways anytime soon. Heck, we don't even have the amazon android appstore yet. Or the streaming movies thing. Both of which make up a large part of the product. Boo.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Amy Lukima said: I just bought the $79 kindle. From what I've heard the ads are not obtrusive at all.

Hmph. 99,00 € on Amazon.de (about 135,00 $ at the time and damn, that's almost double the price).

Add Comment